Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #1
RobBain

Default New Member Introduction

Hello,
My name is Robert Bain
I live at Lake Whitney,TX
I have a 2007 Gulfstresm BT Cruiser MB
I am interested with communicating with other owners.
RobBain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:55 PM   #2
Frutza

Hi rob, jump in anytime
Old 04-02-2020, 08:26 AM   #3
Diggingashes

Hi Rob,
My wife and I are now owners of a 2006 BT 5291 that we purchased last Fall. We has been RVing for a long time and decided to downsize to the BT from a 37' class A. We are in Vermont so the season hasn't started but with the Covid-19 it may not start for some time.
Diggingashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:40 AM   #4
purduepete12

Hello, Purduepete2 here.
We bought our 2007 BT Cruiser model 5291B new 2007. We have lots of experience in modifications to improve ride and handling. We have traveled to all 50 states and Puerto Rico, not all with the RV.
purduepete12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 12:18 PM   #5
Diggingashes

Hi,
Would be interested in what you have done to your 07 5291 to improve it. We downsized from a 37' class A to the 06 5291 last Sept. I have installed air bags on the rear but haven't had it long enough to do much because we live in the Northeast and it went to bed for the winter. The exterior was heavily oxidized and I found that Protect-All fiberglass restorer did a nice job restoring the shiny finish. Be safe!
Old 04-05-2020, 12:59 PM   #6
purduepete12

Hey Dg,

I'd say the best improvement was the last one and it was the least expensive. I changed the camber/caster bushings to increase the "Caster" setting and it really improved drive handling, The Ford factory "Caster" setting is -1 to +7. I could only get it to +1 with the factory bushings. I replaced them with Ingalls 59400 adjustable camber/caster bushings ($30) and set them to maximum caster and had wheel alignment checked and it increased to +4.5. It made a world of difference in the drive handling and now it's like it's on rails. No more wandering at all!
Other improvements include:
1) moving generator from rear storage compartment to front passenger side compartment means no more dragging tailpipe on ramps. It also moved weight to front end and relieved weight on the rear axle.
2) added two extra leafs to rear spring packages. (Go to a truck stop and check rear axle, front axle and total weights and you'll know why)
3) installed Koni shocks all the way around.
4)Had additional storage compartment installed behind rear wheels on passenger side allowing storage for full set of golf clubs.
5) Tightened bolts in cab ceiling to eliminate constant squeaking!
6) Added insulation to front nose fiberglass shell and paneled inside of TV compartment
7) Replaced heavy 26" crt TV with 28" LED (68 watt) LCD TV
I'm probably boring you now!

Pete
Old 04-05-2020, 02:49 PM   #7
Diggingashes

Hi Pete, Thanks for the info. I have done some research on the Ford caster issue and concur that it needs to be adjustable. In the short time we have owned ours I did notice it wandered. I agree the generator should never have been put in the far rear, but don't think I will tackle that job. I put the air bags on the rear and believe it will make a difference in the handling. Until we get used to the smaller size I don't plan to put too much into it.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #8
purduepete12

I did not do the generator work myself. My rig was still under warranty so I complained enough to the factory and showed them the scale weight on the rear axle which was a safety issue. While I was on a roll I complained that none of the compartments was large enough for my golf clubs.
They came and picked up the unit and had Mor-Ryde add the springs while they moved the generator and added the new storage compartment for my clubs. Once again, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease". No Charge! Also, it doesn't hurt to have "Pavlack Law Indianapolis, IN" on your side, but that's another story!

Pete
Old 04-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #9
Diggingashes

Interesting that you say Mor-Ryde added the springs. I have a label on the drivers door post that states that Mor-Ryde modified the suspension. Possibly I have the additional spring leaves as I can't see where anything else was changed. I have put the airbags on an F350 dually and the class A with Workhorse chassis, but this was a bear to install.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:30 PM   #10
purduepete12

The E-450 super duty cut-away comes from the factory with an 11 leaf spring package.
I now have 13 leafs in each spring package.
Gulf Stream sends the cut-away chassis to Mor-Ryde to extend the chassis before GS adds the RV box.