Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
Talisman44

Default Trans Temp Gauges

Hello everyone.

Just purchased our first motorhome. 2007 Yellowstone. 300 Cummins with Alliason transmission. Firm believer in trans coolers and gauges. Wondering if anyone has added them? If so where did you mount the gauges and what ones did you use.

Also anything we should be watching for in general. Unit is in perfect shape. The exterior and interior are in perfect shape not a scratch or dent can be found. 27,000 miles.

Any in site would be appreciated .

Thanks
Talisman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
RayChez1

Default Re: Trans Temp Gauges

I do not have a transmission temperature gauge, but it sounds like a good idea. Anyways welcome to the forum and hope you have good luck with your new coach. I have had real good luck with mine going on 60K miles. It sure has been a good coach so far. Be sure to check the date on the tires. Motorhome tires are generally changed every five to six years. They still have lots of tread, but the side walls usually start getting small cracks which could lead to blowouts. And blowouts do a lot of damage to the wheel wells cutting sometimes even some hydraulic lines. Not worth keeping tires that are over six years for sure.

Your coach probably has a transmission cooler already. You probably have the Freightliner chassis.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
Dennis4809

I purchased a scan tool for this very reason. Has a lot of other features but most important to me is the trans temp. Mounted it right above the Freightliner panel. Plugs into the J1939 connector above the drivers left foot.
http://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauged/
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:49 PM   #4
Talisman44

Thank you for the link. Ordering one tomorrow. Whole lot easier installing than putting in sending unit wiring it to the dash and trying to find a clean spot to install aftermarket 2 inch gauge. Thank you again
Old 09-23-2014, 12:32 PM   #5
Talisman44

Just thought I would post an update. I purchased a Scan Gauge for our motor home. Got to tell you you can not have a simpler system to install. The amount of information that they provide is awsome. Would highly recomnd you get one of these.
Just completed a short 400 mile trip I monitured transmission temp, Instant MPG, Average MPG, and oil preasue. There is at least 20 other items you can watch. Take it from a guy who has installed all sorts of heat and preasure guages that this was so simple. Just plug and play.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:18 PM   #6
Frutza

Man, I'm sorry I didnt see this post sooner, I also just got my Scan gauge d, but on another form I found a way to get $40 off, so for anybody else interested, and yes it works great,
Advanced auto parts online code TRT41 gets you $40 off, its $159 every were I looked, It will monotor everything your computer monitors plus fault codes and you can reset them
Sorry Talisman44