Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-03-2008, 06:39 PM   #1
TheHansens

Default 1st Long Trip

We will leave FL June 1st for a trip that will take us first to PA, then to KY and finally back to FL. This is the first time we will be going further than GA (5 hrs) and we will be taking a 20'enclosed car trailer behind our 35' motor home. The first leg is almost 1K miles and I've realized that to try and plan stops is impossible. Any suggestions???? Are Truck Stops OK to stay in overnight? What about Interstate Rest Areas? Any and all input is welcomed. We will also have 3 dogs with us and as much as they have been OK on our other trips, I'm concerned about a trip of this length and time. We do have confirmed reservations at our destinations in PA and KY.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
coolchas11

We've never stayed in a truck stop, but have in a rest area in PA. Should you want to stay in a campground usually no reservations are needed along the interstates. At least we have found that to be the case. Charlie
Old 05-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #3
TheHansens

Thanks for the info......We are not too worried about finding a park but not sure we could get a spot that will accomodate 55' of rv and trailer. That is why we were curious about rest areas and truck stops.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:53 PM   #4
GStream40
Site Team

We have stayed in rest areas, truck stops (mostly Flying J's) and Wal-Mart parking lots to get a few hours sleep with no problems.

We always check if staying at a Wal-Mart in the store to make sure it is okay. At the truck stops I always stay to stay in an out of the way spot if possible since our coach is 41' long and we tow our Ford Explorer behind it.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
TheHansens

Good to know-thank you. Any other advice is welcomed.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:27 PM   #6
RJ82much

I agree that you cannot plan all your stops in advance - plans & timing changes.

I have had great success with my laptop using Delorme Street Atlas 2007, and their Earthmate LT20 GPS that plugs into the USB. Before traveling, I plot the expected route, call up all rest areas (such as Flying J, or Travel Plazas & WalMarts along the route. I select all as "stop points". The laptop voice warns me of the approach of any; then yells at me & "recalculates" as I cruise on by if it's not time to stop. The wife is actually tolerant of the equipment because it has a huge display that she can see where we are going, & what's ahead. As you approach intersections & interchanges, the display zooms in & lists all the facilities available (gas, food, shopping, etc).

You do not need a wireless connection as all the info is included in the Street Atlas database.

I also recommend joining http://www.overnightrvparking.com/ Their database for places to stay overnight, including GPS coordinates is HUGE. All the rules & conditions are listed. They may be charging however to join since they have become so large & inclusive. It's worth checking out. Their owner/moderator is detailed to a fault about accuracy. You are allowed to download the database as a member.

Happy travels,

'05 Sun Voyager #8351
https://www.much2see.com/index.html
RJ82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
mfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ82much
...I also recommend joining http://www.overnightrvparking.com/ ... They may be charging however to join since they have become so large & inclusive...
No "may be" about it. They are charging $18 per year for membership.
mfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #8
TheHansens

Thanks so much for all the info. My wife is my GPS-she may not be less expensive but why pay twice for back talk Seriously-I appreciate the help. This is all so new and so far we haven't had any bad experiences and want to keep it that way. The next big concern is having 3 dogs and 2 birds on the road for 3 weeks-probably will be very interesting if nothing else.