Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 10-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #1
Kate P

Default Interested in improvement ideas

We have been traveling in our Tourmaster T40 F for a little over a year and are very interested in any ideas for improving the coach. I read that David Bott removed the glass in the front cabinets and replaced with mesh. I would love to know what kind of mesh and better yet, see a photo.

Any ideas on:
-a way to refill the batteries with distilled water
-how to keep the trash door and electrical door open when you need to get into them
- how to keep the inside seal on the full side slide in place. We have had it replaced 5 times.
Thanks
Old 10-08-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
larrybell

Default Battery Filling

I use a plastic bottle and an attached piece of tygon tubing.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
GO BLUE

I took two two inch suction cups with hooks put one on each side of garbage door when it is opened.....hang a bungee cord on one then when you lift the door stretch bungee to other hook in front of door wa laa
Old 10-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
GO BLUE

On the battery fill I use a ketchup bottle with distilled water
Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
David Bott

Hi...

See photos below. The mesh is from Lowes and can be found in the sheet metal area. Cleaned off and then spray painted black. You can take the glass out and replace it with the mesh by removing the doors and on the inside of the doors you will see small trim holding it in place around the edges. Remove this trim, remove the glass, place in the already painted mesh, tack back in trim. Poof, you have vented doors.

View from outside.

Inside of door showing small trim holding it in place.

Battery Filler...Water bottle with a sports pop top so you than can squeeze in the amount you need.

Did not do anything to hold up the trash door. Was thinking about adding a small pneumatic rod. Do not have an issue with electric door as it has a rod. (T-40B vs F I think.)

Inside top seal of main slide...HA HA HA HA! (Sorry, not laughing at you.) You see, I say that for I am in the same boat. At this point I have side inside seals but am not using a top one. I have one I can put on, but I am not sure it will stay based on on the slide works. It hits at the top first and then slides down. As such, the motion of it coming down with all that pressure on it, well, just pulls it right off. It really is a poor design in this regard.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
hyall

I converted the trash compartment to entertain center with a bose radio and 19 inch lcd tv powered and rca jacks threaded from the front basement and used a gas rod to hold the door up best thing I ever did and its center of the coash and under the awning I really had no use for that compartment

ps put the top seal on the wall not the slide it stays and flexs better I replaced mine before I did this
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #7
David Bott

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyall
I converted the trash compartment to entertain center with a bose radio and 19 inch lcd tv powered and rca jacks threaded from the front basement and used a gas rod to hold the door up best thing I ever did and its center of the coash and under the awning I really had no use for that compartment

ps put the top seal on the wall not the slide it stays and flexs better I replaced mine before I did this

Hi...

Did you have a photo of the LCD TV conversion of the trash area? Not that I would look to do it as we like the trash area, but wondering what the heck you did do.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 10-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #8
hyall

Sure I,ll take pics I beef up the back wall with 3/4 plywood installed from behind the kitchen drawers and installed a 10 inch pull-out univeral arm so the tv swings out of the compartment and I use the Bose radio as amp for the sound. I needed the kitchen counter space so I place coffee maker over the hatch to garbage compartment

Old 10-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #9
David Bott

Nice retro fit! Very interesting. My wife would not be happy as we really like the trash compartment and use it a lot. We have our coffee maker to the left side of the back of the sink. I do want to add a lift to it though. I see you needed to reinforce the back of the door. Nice cutting board use.

Our next change in regards to the outside display is to use a side mount, slide out display. It slides out sideways and that can turn 90 degrees either direction. We will be putting in a 26" LCD in that area vs the 20" pop down that is their now. (We are video people) I do like that your display is up higher though, as it would help being closer to the awning and thus out of the sun. A nice plus!

Suggestion...Remove the 4 out coax tap in put in a two out. You are loosing more signal than you need to.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 10-10-2009, 11:37 AM   #10
hyall

thanks will do
Old 10-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #11
Kate P

Default Interested in improvement ideas

Can you give us more details on the GS that you used to hold the door up. What size and pressure you used (I guess that is how it is measured - we were thinking we need a 13 lb). Also, how did you attach the board to the door that the GS is attached to on the door.
Thanks,
Kate
Old 10-10-2009, 02:15 PM   #12
Greyhound

The wife and I had the living area on our T40B completely remodeled. Move the tv to the middle, with the components on the left behind a mesh screen similars to Davids.
Removed both sofas, replaced with two recliners.
On passenger side, had a small table with file drawer and small cabinet installed.
On drivers side had a storage cabinet made for the extra chairs and a small rail placed under the window.
Removed all cloth valances in living area, replaced with wood.
Added door and shelves to pantry.
In the bedroom, removed the tv and had a shelf with doors made. Additional storage gained. We never used the TV so it came out.
Also in the front bathroom, had a small door made to cover the gaping hole.
Do like the idea of adding a piston support to the trash door. Would like to know the weight used also.
The above changes were made due in part to the poor design to watch TV in the living area. We felt it was impossible to get comfortable, short of lying flat on the sofas, to watch the TV.
Old 10-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #13
hyall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound
The wife and I had the living area on our T40B completely remodeled. Move the tv to the middle, with the components on the left behind a mesh screen similars to Davids.
Removed both sofas, replaced with two recliners.
On passenger side, had a small table with file drawer and small cabinet installed.
On drivers side had a storage cabinet made for the extra chairs and a small rail placed under the window.
Removed all cloth valances in living area, replaced with wood.
Added door and shelves to pantry.
In the bedroom, removed the tv and had a shelf with doors made. Additional storage gained. We never used the TV so it came out.
Also in the front bathroom, had a small door made to cover the gaping hole.
Do like the idea of adding a piston support to the trash door. Would like to know the weight used also.
The above changes were made due in part to the poor design to watch TV in the living area. We felt it was impossible to get comfortable, short of lying flat on the sofas, to watch the TV.

On the gas support as you see I glued a poly cutting board to the inside with gorilla glue held in place with screws inside of the door (hatch) I tried screws and rivets only, but the vinyl wasn't strong enough need the backing. I used 20 lb strut believed 14 inches long with a ell bracket extra inside of frame