Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-17-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
Jill

Default Just bought a diesel puller!

Hi, I'm new to these forums. We currently have a Damon Intruder gasser, but went to the RV show this weekend and ordered a 2007 Sun Voyager #8389 diesel puller, because we wanted to move to a diesel engine, but needed it to be affordable to us.

Does anybody have any experience with these pullers? From what I understand, they've been out only about a year.

And what do you think about the 8389 floorplan? We absolutely loved it!

I've done some browsing on this site, and have seen that owners are having a lot of problems and there's a lot of negativity. I sure hope that there are also a lot of happy Gulfstream owners out there!!!
This is not to minimize the problems there are with these rigs, but I am hoping the percentage is no different than the other manufacturers' and that we didn't buy into a world of problems!

Thanks for any help or info you can give,

Jill

www.northwestjewelry.com
[email protected]
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: Just bought a diesel puller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill
I've done some browsing on this site, and have seen that owners are having a lot of problems and there's a lot of negativity. I sure hope that there are also a lot of happy Gulfstream owners out there!!!
This is not to minimize the problems there are with these rigs, but I am hoping the percentage is no different than the other manufacturers' and that we didn't buy into a world of problems!

Jill,

Welcome to the Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum!!

Also, Congratulations on your purchase of a GSC diesel puller with the FRED chassis. Bet the delivery date seems a long time away.

To put in perspective of the percentages, there are 1200 to 1350 class A coaches built by Gulf Stream each year. Add these up over just the past say, 4 years and the figure is at least 4800 class A's alone built by GSC.
That figure does not include the towables that are manufactured, which I don't have the figures for them.
We have registered here just over 230 members. Of those you see a few posts with problems or complaints. So that means that somewhere there must be a very, very large percentage of GSC owners that are happy with no complaints or problems.

Sort of puts things in perspective doesn't it?

I am not saying that you might not have a "punch" list of things when you get your coach, it happens with all manufacturers. I have owned 5 different new RV's and had things that needed to be done to each and every one.

Look forward to reading more of your posts and more about your FRED chassis diesel. Keep us updated and hopefully if we have other members with a FRED chassis they will share there experiences with us.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 01:00 PM   #3
dbmotors

That 8389 floorplan is incredible. If I were to buy a new one now, that's the plan I would buy.

I have a 2005 Sunvoyager (Ford V10), and I like it. Haven't had any real issues. As with any coach, after you own it awhile, you may find problems with the way something is designed, but I have no complaints about Gulfstream, and I would buy another one.

That front engine deisel is interesting. I looked at several of them at the show. I don't know if I am sold on the heavier engine in that lighter chassis, but the idea sounds good to me. Especially the 12 MPG sticker that was on all the windshields at the show!!!

Keep us posted on how you like it as you use it. I would love to hear some first hand experiences! Good luck
Old 09-17-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
Jill

Thanks to both of you for responding!

Ron, I'm sure you're right. I know there are issues with Gulfstream, as there are with any other manufacturer. I've never owned a new motorhome before, but I'm expecting there will be things that need to be fixed from the get go. It's just the nature of a forum like this for people who are having trouble to get help, so I guess I got nervous after seeing a lot of the problems.

And November can't come quick enough for me--the factory rep is going to look to see if there are any like ours in stock or being manufactured, and if so, we'll get it earlier, but for now, we're going to have to wait.

DB, yes, we LOVED that floorplan--we don't look at a lot of RVs, but that day at the show, we saw a lot of floorplans we liked, but this one really stood out for us.

The chassis is a 24,000 workhouse--it's heavier than the 20,500 and the 22,000--is the 24,000 what you were referring to? I don't know much about these, so bear with me!

Jill

www.northwestjewelry.com
[email protected]
Old 09-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #5
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:

The chassis is a 24,000 workhouse--it's heavier than the 20,500 and the 22,000--is the 24,000 what you were referring to? I don't know much about these, so bear with me!

Jill

Jill,

If your are buying the front engine diesel it is a Freightliner chassis, not a Workhorse.
You are buying a FRED. (FRont Engine Diesel)
Here's the specs for it:
26,000 GVWR, 300 HP Cummins Freightliner 5.9L Diesel Engine 600 FT/LBS torque - 22.5" tires
- 55- Degree Wheel Cut
- 60" parabolic leaf spring w/ Sachs Shocks
- Bosch Disc brakes w 4-Wheel ABS
- Lowered Center of Gravity
- Lowered Engine mount
- 80 Gal Fuel Tank - Improved MPG
- 5 speed Allison Transmission (368, 37

I don't believe Workhorse makes a front engine diesel chassis.

The 8389 is a great floorplan. Are you getting two large patio awnings, one on the large slide and one towards the front on the passenger side?

Ron
Old 09-17-2006, 05:21 PM   #6
Jill

Oops--well now you REALLY know how little I know about this stuff!
I'm going to save those specs you sent--thanks so much!

I don't know about the awnings. We didn't get the automatic awnings, I know that, but I'm not sure what awnings we did get. We used the awnings on our Intruder infrequently, but that's probably because we never got the chance to be out more than 3-4 days and spent a lot of that time on the road.

We also didn't get the optional electronics package--the factory rep said we could do better having our dealership install these aftermarket. I hope he's right, because we do want satellite.

www.northwestjewelry.com
[email protected]
Old 09-17-2006, 07:17 PM   #7
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Oops--well now you REALLY know how little I know about this stuff!
I'm going to save those specs you sent--thanks so much!

I don't know about the awnings. We didn't get the automatic awnings, I know that, but I'm not sure what awnings we did get. We used the awnings on our Intruder infrequently, but that's probably because we never got the chance to be out more than 3-4 days and spent a lot of that time on the road.

We also didn't get the optional electronics package--the factory rep said we could do better having our dealership install these aftermarket. I hope he's right, because we do want satellite.
Jill,

According to the Gulf Stream website the electronics package includes:
Electronics Package
- 30" LCD TV in overhead
- Lowrance GPS navigation system
- Wineguard satellite dish
- MP3 player

Those are nice options, except for the MP 3 player. But I imagine they are pricey. The satellite dish/dome can be installed by the dealer. Mine was on the coach we have now, on the previous GS, I installed it myself.

As far as the awning, according it the website, it just says "metal wrapped" main awning, but that is not too clear.
The reason I asked about the two awnings was I saw one 8389 at a dealers and it had two awnings on the side. They had them opened and it made for one giant area to stay out of the sun. That would work great for us when in Florida. I don't know if that was an option or standard on this model.

Ron
Old 09-17-2006, 10:45 PM   #8
Jill

I don't know about the awnings either. We didn't even ask about them. They're something that will probably be important to us in the future, but haven't been yet.

I'm with you--I don't care about the MP3 player, plus I especially don't care about the TV. This floorplan has 3 TVs already! We have a Garmon GPS that can be portable and we love it and will use it in this MH. So the only thing left is the satellite dish and we'll probably have the dealer install it. The optional electronic package was $3000+ from the factory, so we said no, and hopefully, we'll do okay with the dealer-installed satellite dome.

By the way, we got the mid-range refrigerator--not the smallest, but the one that allowed us to keep the pantry. The only thing about this floorplan that I didn't like was the counter space in the kitchen--there's not much. But I'll live with it !

www.northwestjewelry.com
[email protected]
Old 09-18-2006, 08:00 AM   #9
TSoul

Send a message via Yahoo to TSoul

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new coach.

We have had a punch list of things to get fixed on our coach but other than those minor things we have had no real problems. I am a happy owner and love our coach. I am sure you will too.

Good Luck and Happy Camping.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:33 AM   #10
gsadmin

Default Re: Just bought a diesel puller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStream40
Quote:
To put in perspective of the percentages, there are 1200 to 1350 class A coaches built by Gulf Stream each year. Add these up over just the past say, 4 years and the figure is at least 4800 class A's alone built by GSC.
That figure does not include the towables that are manufactured, which I don't have the figures for them.
We have registered here just over 230 members. Of those you see a few posts with problems or complaints. So that means that somewhere there must be a very, very large percentage of GSC owners that are happy with no complaints or problems.

Sort of puts things in perspective doesn't it? Ron
Two things...first of all, if you own a motorhome, you WILL have problems...and lots of them...its like owning a boat. Some people deal better than others with that fact...I don't know if GS is better or worse than other manufacturers, but get used to things breaking and issues cropping up...its the nature of the beast...just learn how to 'I'm on vacation' mentality and not "what, I just paid $$$$ for this" and you will be fine.

Second, to counter Rons quote saying that because we have 230 members that the percentage of people having issues is small...i disagree...first of all, it takes someone not only very saavy (especially when you consider the market demographics for motorhome owners) in the internet to find our site and know how to use it. A good rule of thumb when considering how many people have good versus bad experiences with something is 1 in 5 will actually take some form of action when they have a bad experience (fill out a complaint form, suggestion box, online forum, etc.) and 1 in 10 will do the same when they have a good experience.

Put this together with my first point that if you have an RV you will have problems and you will see that probably 80+% of those who have bought an RV have had an issue that has made them furious...Gulf Stream or otherwise...and, 2x the people will do something about it compared to those going positive.

Finally, this is the real point of this site...its a place to air out the issues and hopefully, one day, Gulf Stream will wake up, understand what really great customer service is, and start participating in this forum and providing documentation to their owners like they deserve!

Someday in two or three years I will be moving on to a more elite coach than the one I currently have (which I do love). Will it be a Gulf Stream, well for me that decision will not be placed on how many positive vs. negative comments I see on the net, but rather WHAT DOES THE COMPANY DO ABOUT IT!?
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:29 AM   #11
Jill

TSoul, thanks for the welcome! I see you have the Crescendo with the larger countertop area--we looked at the other floorplan, and were very impressed with everything about it. Although we haven't had a new MH before, I'm thinking of this as a house, knowing that there will be a few things we'll find as we start to use it.

I'm glad to know you're loving yours--I am very excited to get ours. Unfortunately, we won't have it for a trip we have planned in mid-October.

GSadmin, we've had a lot of little things on our current motor home (2002 Damon) which we've had for a year. I was hoping that after the initial punch list, we'd could have a year or two with no problems!!! Thanks for the reality check--I might as well go into this new one expecting to have constant small problems, then I won't be disappointed! By the way, we've never had a boat, but my husband has been looking at them--I didn't realize they had lots of little problems as well??!!

I spent some time reading the comments on the forum before I made my first post, and some of your posts were part of my concern. I can handle problems with the coach--that is just going to happen, I know--but I won't be happy if I don't get good customer service to resolve the problems. It sounds like you've had several examples of lack of service, not to mention the documentation issue. We tend to be the type of people that will have all the work done at the dealership, but I understand that if you do the work yourself, you would want and need that documentation. I don't know if the petition is still active, but if it is, I'll be happy to sign it, for what that's worth. It doesn't seem to be the kind of information they should be keeping from the owner of the vehicle.

I am glad to see that you are open to buying another GS, assuming your issues with the manufacturer are resolved--that tells me something good about the coaches!

www.northwestjewelry.com
[email protected]
Old 09-18-2006, 10:45 AM   #12
gsadmin

For the price point, I truly think GS has a slight edge in terms of materials used for construction, especially on things like cabinetry.

As far as boats go...they too are suck-holes of $. Basically, I think it has alot to do with the fact that both RVs and Boats are produced in such small numbers and are truly in constant battle with the elements as well as alot of G forces, it only stands to reason that there will be alot more issues than a Toyota Camry.

As far as GS customer support is concerned, its a mixed bag. A limited few have had extraordinary service. On the other hand, many have had some real nightmares (both end users as well as the dealers themselves). I have had more than one RV center tell me of major issues dealing with the factory and warranty repairs (i.e. getting paid for them)

But, aside from all that, they know that forums exist out there where people have issues. Think of what incredible customer support they would be showing if they had just one part time person be their internet liason and post answers, troubleshooting tips, and yes documents out her and on other forums. Imagine how much more quickly the buying decision would be for many prospects out there not to mention the loyalty factor once purchased.
- Converted batteries to 4x6V from 2x12V
- Added Bully air-horn
- Added Safe-T-Steer

SLC, UT
gsadmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:50 AM   #13
Jill

I agree. I've been browsing several forums and a few manufacturers really stand out--Beaver and Country Coach being two of them. I would think the GS owners would want to have this type of reputation. Maybe they figure it doesn't pencil out.

By the way, I signed the petition.

www.northwestjewelry.com
[email protected]
Old 09-18-2006, 05:18 PM   #14
Retird2Golf

Send a message via MSN to Retird2Golf

Hi Jill, Welcome to the Forum. Lots of good advice , help, and ideas here.
I would not hesitate to buy another ( which I am going to do) GulfStream Coach. our problems are minor inconveniences compared to some i've read about. Just go to [email protected] and look at some of the "High End' Coaches. I LOVE MY GS"

Visit often and enjoy your new Coach.!!

Best Regards, Clyde
Old 09-18-2006, 05:34 PM   #15
Jill

Thanks so much Clyde! I am SOOO excited about getting our new GS. We loved our other one, but this one will be special to us.

Thanks for the link--I'll check it out. It's been very interesting reading the forums the past few days. I seem to do things backwards--buy it first and research it later! But I'm feeling good about our purchase--we're pretty easy-going people and won't expect perfection. Won't say no to it either!

www.northwestjewelry.com
[email protected]
Old 09-18-2006, 05:37 PM   #16
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retird2Golf
I would not hesitate to buy another ( which I am going to do) GulfStream Coach. our problems are minor inconveniences compared to some i've read about. Just go to [email protected] and look at some of the "High End' Coaches. I LOVE MY GS"

Clyde,
Sounds like you have a new coach in mind already. Which model??

Ron
Old 09-19-2006, 07:50 AM   #17
dbmotors

LOL, I take a day or so off, and they thread gets slammed with responses!! My comment regarding the weight of the chassis may not be relevant. I thought they were 22,000 chassis, not the 26,000 that was mentioned here. I have owned a higher end diesel pusher in the past, and the air brakes and air ride suspension were incredible (and BOY, do I miss them). But you add those things in, and the price goes up real fast (and real high). That is what excited me about the FRED, but also concerned me. As soon as I get the opportnity, I intend to drive one. My only complaint on my Sunvoyager now is a lack of power at low RPM coupled with weak fuel mileage. The diesel puts out more torque at a much lower RPM, and improved fuel mileage. Sounds good to me!

And if I buy one, it will be the same floorplan you got!
Old 09-19-2006, 03:23 PM   #18
Jill

Yeah, it is a beauty! It really feels like three separate living room areas. I'm hoping the diesel puller will be as good as they say!

www.northwestjewelry.com
[email protected]
Old 09-23-2006, 09:50 PM   #19
GStream40
Site Team

Here is a link to the specs of the Freightliner FRED chassis used on the Sunvoyager... http://www.freightlinerchassis.com/p...C1004-2007.pdf

Ron
Old 09-24-2006, 09:44 AM   #20
Jill

Thanks, Ron! I've printed it and although it doesn't mean a lot to me, it certainly does to Rick and he thanks you as well!

Jill

www.northwestjewelry.com
[email protected]