Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-26-2018, 11:33 AM   #1
ChristinaE

Default Rolls down hill

My class a rolls down a hill unless you have your foot on the brakes. I just had the brakes fixed that cost $2000! What could be the cause?
ChristinaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:43 AM   #2
Restorium

It's either the transmission linkage or detent(internal). Needs to go to the transmission shop.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
ChristinaE

Wow thank you for the reply!
Old 04-29-2018, 10:12 AM   #4
Restorium

You're welcome. Ford had some recalls on this subject. You should check and see if your transmission was included in the recall.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:30 AM   #5
ChristinaE

Oh wow OK. I had no idea. I'll check into it asap so thank you!
Old 04-29-2018, 10:30 AM   #6
Chuck v

Some of the larger class A pushers have air brakes and do not have a 'park setting' on the transmission. What year and model of motor home are we discussing here?

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 10:39 AM   #7
ChristinaE

1988 gulfstream sunstream.. Hmm interesting
Old 04-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #8
Chuck v

That would have a conventional transmission with Park position.

Here is a link to the archived information on that year and model coach:
http://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/media...Sun-Stream.pdf

Chuck

Old 04-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #9
ChristinaE

I'm not exactly sure what that means.. I kinda get it, but I'm still learning about this rv. Would you happen to know what the size of the gas tank is? I haven't been able to find anything on the size. The gas gauge doesn't work on the dash and I haven't had the money to fill it up. If not it's OK. You've been a big help
Old 04-29-2018, 12:24 PM   #10
Chuck v

Motor homes of that vintage with the John Deere chassis had a 90 gallon fuel capacity, whereas the GM chassis units had about a 60 gallon fuel capacity.

It is a bit difficult to find good information on these older units -- good luck!

Chuck

Old 04-29-2018, 12:54 PM   #11
ChristinaE

Great! That's what I was thinking about the tank size and yes you are correct. It is difficult to find good info, but once I'm done fixing everything, it'll be as good as new. Thanks again for all the great info. Take care!
Old 04-30-2018, 07:51 AM   #12
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
Motor homes of that vintage with the John Deere chassis had a 90 gallon fuel capacity, whereas the GM chassis units had about a 60 gallon fuel capacity.

It is a bit difficult to find good information on these older units -- good luck!

Chuck
So what you're saying is it's not a Ford and the comment above does not apply? Just trying to have her a trip to the transmission shop.

Sudsy
Sudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:12 AM   #13
ChristinaE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
So what you're saying is it's not a Ford and the comment above does not apply? Just trying to have her a trip to the transmission shop.

Sudsy
Hi Sudsy, I know my rv has a Ford/ John Deere chassis. Do you think my problem is something else besides transmission?
Old 04-30-2018, 10:39 AM   #14
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaE View Post
Hi Sudsy, I know my rv has a Ford/ John Deere chassis. Do you think my problem is something else besides transmission?

Well I actually became confused when the John Deere and other chassis were mentioned. I have no experience on those old chassis. Does it have a gas 460 cid Ford V8? Front engine? If so it probably is a transmission problem.

Sudsy
Old 04-30-2018, 10:54 AM   #15
ChristinaE

Quote:
Well I actually became confused when the John Deere and other chassis were mentioned. I have no experience on those old chassis. Does it have a gas 460 cid Ford V8? Front engine? If so it probably is a transmission problem.

Sudsy
Both questions the answer is yes.. Darn, transmission problem is not cheap. It's funny because my mechanic told me the trans was fine during the winter and I only drove it for an hour to my new home..
Old 04-30-2018, 11:15 AM   #16
Sudsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristinaE View Post
Both questions the answer is yes.. Darn, transmission problem is not cheap. It's funny because my mechanic told me the trans was fine during the winter and I only drove it for an hour to my new home..

Well I just talked with a friend who knows those motors and transmissions. He says although not so much a "common" problem is is a known issue. He says "the pin is broken off" and the transmission needs to be removed to repair. It does not effect the other operations of the transmission.

Sudsy
Old 04-30-2018, 11:30 AM   #17
ChristinaE

Quote:
Well I just talked with a friend who knows those motors and transmissions. He says although not so much a "common" problem is is a known issue. He says "the pin is broken off" and the transmission needs to be removed to repair. It does not effect the other operations of the transmission.

Sudsy
Great! Thank you so much for asking your friend. That is good news then. You've been a huge help
Old 04-30-2018, 07:35 PM   #18
Chuck v

Sudsy,

Sorry for any confusion by mentioning the Deere chassis -- I was pretty sure the motor home in question was the 460 ford on that chassis, but since I am in Pacific time zone and work days, I did not get to chime in until just now.

Christina, does your coach have an emergency brake of some sort (what we old timers called a 'parking brake' in the past...)? Even if the transmission Park position is not holding the driveshaft from turning, an E-brake should keep the rig from moving on a slight slope. Don't count on it for steep slopes, and it is a good practice for stopping any vehicle on a slope to turn the front wheels toward the curb...

Chuck

Old 04-30-2018, 08:18 PM   #19
Sudsy

Default and chocks

If you can just carry a good set of wheel chocks. Hold the brake while someone puts the chocks in place. If you have leveling jacks they should also lend to holding you still.

No problem Chuck. I just had never even heard of John Deere chassis. I am just starting to understand this workhorse. I have had a few 460 Fords and they re some well built engines.

Sudsy
Old 04-30-2018, 10:14 PM   #20
ChristinaE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
Sudsy,

Sorry for any confusion by mentioning the Deere chassis -- I was pretty sure the motor home in question was the 460 ford on that chassis, but since I am in Pacific time zone and work days, I did not get to chime in until just now.

Christina, does your coach have an emergency brake of some sort (what we old timers called a 'parking brake' in the past...)? Even if the transmission Park position is not holding the driveshaft from turning, an E-brake should keep the rig from moving on a slight slope. Don't count on it for steep slopes, and it is a good practice for stopping any vehicle on a slope to turn the front wheels toward the curb...

Chuck
I only have seen an emergency brake release, but hadn't figured out if there is a parking brake. I know about them in regular vehicles, but Thad rv is very old and someone messed up the wiring in the dash. They tore out the radio and speakers and just messed stuff up. I will take your advice to try to turn the wheel although I think the power steering needs work.