Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-30-2021, 11:19 AM   #1
dndwolff

Default Thoughts on bringing Honda Goldwing

I have a 2003 Gulfstream Yellowstone and flat tow 2014 Honda CRV. Thoughts on hitch mount lift for bringing my 2003 Goldwing. Will it add too much weight? Any thoughts on toad hitch mounted carrier where only front wheel is attached and rear wheel rides on ground? Or swivel wheel carrier from Cruiser lift? What has anyone tried and what works best, or should I give up on the Wing?
dndwolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:41 AM   #2
Eddndee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dndwolff View Post
I have a 2003 Gulfstream Yellowstone and flat tow 2014 Honda CRV. Thoughts on hitch mount lift for bringing my 2003 Goldwing. Will it add too much weight? Any thoughts on toad hitch mounted carrier where only front wheel is attached and rear wheel rides on ground? Or swivel wheel carrier from Cruiser lift? What has anyone tried and what works best, or should I give up on the Wing?
I assume you are talking about bringing the Gold Wing in leu of the CRV. A pretty big bike to rely upon a hitch carry. If it was me, I would use a trailer, which you could carry both the car and the bike together.
Old 04-11-2021, 10:12 AM   #3
Dennis4809

I carry my VTX on the back using a Cruiser Lift lift. Others use a Hydralift. Each is capable of carrying your wing. My VTX is a little lighter but I don’t notice any difference, bike on or bike off. Your Yellowstone is very similar to our Friendship 7 so coach is more than capable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D5E9EB8A-BD00-43B3-816E-9BCA3386BCE4.jpg (251.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 6571D6BC-7CD0-4B48-8275-68AA524A6959.jpg (232.2 KB, 6 views)
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:35 PM   #4
hossross

Your wing is at least 1000 pounds so make sure any vehicle mount is rated for at kind of load as well as the attachment to the coach frame or hitch. I see the comment that the weight makes no difference in handling or road stability, that doesn't make sense to me, but depending on the amount of overhang you have from the rear axle, you can calculate the weight transfer off the front axle using the moments equation.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:36 AM   #5
Dennis4809

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossross View Post
Your wing is at least 1000 pounds so make sure any vehicle mount is rated for at kind of load as well as the attachment to the coach frame or hitch. I see the comment that the weight makes no difference in handling or road stability, that doesn't make sense to me, but depending on the amount of overhang you have from the rear axle, you can calculate the weight transfer off the front axle using the moments equation.
Cruiser Lift has a formula on their website that calculates the weight shifted from the front axle. Includes distance from the overhang from the center of the rear axle and the wheelbase of the coach. In my case the calculation showed a less than 200 reduction off a 12,000 axle. This was later confirmed as I weighed the coach after it installed the lift and loaded the bike. The longer the wheelbase, the less weight is shifted off the front. I did end up right at the max 20,000 on the rear axle.

New Goldwing, full of fluids, ready to ride is around 800 lbs depending on model.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 06:55 PM   #6
Florida Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by dndwolff View Post
I have seen several tow dollies that have a platform on the front and a ramp on the side to drive a golf cart or motorcyle on securely, then the tow dolly vehicle goes on the back.
Florida Flash is offline   Reply With Quote