Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-31-2021, 11:10 AM   #1
Cal

Default GFI and outside receptacle on same circuit?

We have a 2020 Amerilite 198BH. The GFI receptacle in the kitchen counter/sink area quit working. So did the outside electrical receptacle.

I replaced the kitchen GFI and it still won't reset. So... no power in the circuit.

I suspect that the outside receptacle is the cause of the open circuit.

Does anyone know whether these two receptacles are on the same circuit? I believe they are...as the outside plug is non-GFI. So likely protected by the GFI inside. But don't want to replace the outside receptacle, if not certain that is the problem. Though it would be an easy driveway fix.

My local dealer could not answer that question, as they currently don't have a service technician on staff. So even though the trailer is still under warranty...It would be pointless to take the trailer to the dealer. I have also contacted Gulfstream...but have had no response to date.

Any info is much appreciated.

Cal
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
lets go

If you suspect it is the outside receptacle is creating the problem then why dont you take the wires off the GFI receptacle in the kitchen that pass through it (you should have a line side and load side on receptacle) and then you can eliminate that as an issue . Hopefully those are the only receptacles on that circuit
lets go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:29 PM   #3
Willyt

Isn't electrical fun ! Didn't hear you mention anything about breakers. Does your kitchen have one ?
Willyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:21 AM   #4
lets go

Yes sometimes it can be fun and I am a retired electrician , I do not have a breaker just for kitchen alone just one for microwave then just a general circuit
for about 5 receptacles and another circuit for television and bedroom and storage compartment . I dont think a dealership would be able to automatically find problem because I dont think every trailer is wired the same way.

I know when I pulled out a receptacle to figure out a problem I was shocked to see method of continuing fro one receptacle to another.

It looks like you will have to start at square one and make sure you have power coming out of breaker then take it from there, hopefully you have a meter to read voltage
Old 04-05-2021, 01:29 PM   #5
Cal

Default open circuit

Willyt:
Breakers were checked first. Followed by a check of all wiring connections. Then circuit tests. Using a meter. GFI was replaced. And yes....I do know how to correctly install a GFI. Did not solve the problem.
Next step is to turn my attention to the external electrical outlet.
Does that answer your question? So unless you have anything at all useful to add, I will leave it there.
Old 04-05-2021, 02:41 PM   #6
lets go

Sorry if I offended you in someway did not mean to. Wish you luck
Old 04-05-2021, 03:25 PM   #7
Cal

lets go:
My remarks were not directed at you. Nor was I offended by anything you wrote.
In fact, you were the only one so far, to offer any useful advice. As you can see, I've already followed some of the steps you offered. So, we're on the same page. I have attempted to follow each step in the troubleshooting process in a logical manner...with hopes to solve the problem.
My remarks were pointed at Willyt.
In my view, the purpose of forums like this, is to seek advice and hopefully get solid answers to problems. Not to be subjected to condescending "suggestions".
Which is how I perceived Willyt's response to what I assumed was a pretty straightforward question. Yes, Willy....I do know what a breaker is and does. That wasn't the basis for my question.
In my view, if a person cannot answer a question, then they should say so. Or say nothing at all. That at least, is honest. But, I have no patience with people who get off on stroking their egos at others' expense. Nor will I tolerate it.

Again....lets go....my remarks were not directed at you. Nor was I offended by anything you wrote.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:17 PM   #8
Scott-PA

Cal, I can't answer exactly but I can offer this; my last TT had GFI's and the kitchen, bath and outside were all interconnected. Discovered this the hard way, outside tripped and wife was inside, yelled out that the kitchen outlet quit (" tripped a breaker dear"), as soon as I reset the GFI outside she yelled "never mind"!
I'm sure you've checked other outlets but wanted to throw that in the mix for others who may not have thought if it being a possibility.
Scott-PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:54 PM   #9
Cal

Scott-PA:

Thanks for the reply. Yes....the external outlet on my trailer is protected by the GFI circuit. Checking each circuit with a meter was used to determine this for certain.

It appears that the cable was pressed up tightly against the edge of the opening when installed. As a result, vibration and pressure against the cable from the opening`s sharp edge, wore through the cable`s sheathing....exposing and damaging the black wire.

I will likely need to replace with a new section...then reinstall a new outlet. I will also need to come up with some way to pad the wiring so abrasion doesn`t become an issue again....but the longer section of wire might help. Plus some rubber or hard foam padding.

I believe this might cure the problem. But won`t be sure until the initial fix is complete.

Wasn`t expecting problems so soon, as this is a new trailer (2020). But will have to deal with it, anyway.
Old 04-07-2021, 07:36 PM   #10
Scott-PA

Hey Cal, not sure if you would entertain this idea but after you splice in a longer section of wire a small shot low expansion foam (Great Stuff style for windows/doors) might help to stabilize the wires and prevent any additional cutting/rubbing of wire insulation.
You obviously have done more than I thought of, so at this point all I can add is spray foam to stabilize (low expansion type).
Good luck my new friend!
Starcraft Pop-up - 2006 (being used by kids)
past campers: Coleman Santa-Fe Pop-Up, Thor Prisim 2000 TT, Dutchman Calssic 5th wheel, Jayco Eagle TT, Time Out (motorcycle pop-up)
Scott-PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:31 PM   #11
Cal

Scott-PA:
Great tip! Many thanks. I hadn't considered using low-density foam to stabilize the wires, up until now. But that does make a lot of sense. I have used it to seal small gaps around door frames, etc. Would likely act as a moisture barrier around the area, too. Easy to do and certainly worth considering.

Cal
Old 04-11-2021, 10:01 AM   #12
Michigan Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Willyt:
Breakers were checked first. Followed by a check of all wiring connections. Then circuit tests. Using a meter. GFI was replaced. And yes....I do know how to correctly install a GFI. Did not solve the problem.
Next step is to turn my attention to the external electrical outlet.
Does that answer your question? So unless you have anything at all useful to add, I will leave it there.
That attitude is not going to get you any help in here. Member was trying to be helpful to you. Lighten up there buddy.
Michigan Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 01:22 PM   #13
jamesham

Default GFI daisy chain down one side

On our GS motorhome, all of the AC outlets on a side are daisy chained together so it the GFI trips, all plugs are dead. The offending GFI is located in the bathroom, so when it trips we have no power down that side. I did some rewiring by changing the wiring on the back of the plugs and adding GFI units in each plug location, so everything operates independently. The GFI units required a deeper plastic box than the original factory units, but this was not a problem due to thickness of the outside walls.

[QUOTE=Cal;33479]We have a 2020 Amerilite 198BH. The GFI receptacle in the kitchen counter/sink area quit working. So did the outside electrical receptacle.
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 07:27 PM   #14
Cal

Default changing to independent plugs

jamesham:
I am considering doing the same thing. Will take another look at the circuit and consider best approach as time permits, this coming week.

Cal
Old 04-11-2021, 07:46 PM   #15
Cal

Michagan Scott:

I did not perceive Willyt's response as helpful. In fact, I considered it condescending and not at all helpfull. Particularly as I asked a very specific question. Go back and read my original query and see for yourself. Before lecturing me. Buddy.
Old 04-11-2021, 08:10 PM   #16
Dennis4809

Quote:
Michagan Scott:

I did not perceive Willyt's response as helpful. In fact, I considered it condescending and not at all helpfull. Particularly as I asked a very specific question. Go back and read my original query and see for yourself. Before lecturing me. Buddy.
Think you read more into his comment than anyone else.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 08:55 PM   #17
jamesham

Yes, great idea. It is easy to move 2 wires on the back of the first GFCI receptacle down from load to feed since most have two hole clamps built in.
The manufacturers were just trying to save money by daisy-chaining all the other plugs downstream. I really hate the cheap shallow-depth receptacle boxes some RV's have where the wire is just pieced by a set of prongs inside the box. With all the bumps and twists of an RV, I like to have the AC receptacles where the wires are clamped down under a brass metal clamp.

Quote:
jamesham:
I am considering doing the same thing. Will take another look at the circuit and consider best approach as time permits, this coming week.

Cal
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote