Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-11-2022, 10:30 AM   #1
Armysandy

Thumbs up Spare Tire Mount

I have a 2005 BT Cruiser model 5270. Needed to change a tire and at 78 years old I found it very difficult to get the spare out from beneath the MH. There is no bumper so has anyone seen or done a modification to mount the spare on the back??
Thanks from Nova Scotia
Armysandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 10:50 PM   #2
NavyLCDR

I would ask about it at a dealer:

Capture1a.jpg
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:26 AM   #3
Armysandy

Thank you - exactly what I was looking for.
Armysandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 01:08 PM   #4
MAJWayne88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armysandy View Post
I have a 2005 BT Cruiser model 5270. Needed to change a tire and at 78 years old I found it very difficult to get the spare out from beneath the MH. There is no bumper so has anyone seen or done a modification to mount the spare on the back??
Thanks from Nova Scotia
I found one that would work great for you! My problem is not being able to find the spare wheel/tire to mount on it. The mount I have is still in the box, brand new. Contact me, if interested.
MAJWayne88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:32 PM   #5
jamesham

Default Our solution to the spare tire problem

I faced the same problem...at 79 years old, I was not able to climb under the rear of the motorhome, loosen the long threaded bolt, and lift the spare tire out of the carrier. After that came the problem of jacking up the motorhome to actually change a tire. CoachNet was my solution. They have had to help me a couple of times on the road, and they did a fast job at finding help and saving me. They are the most expensive, but the best Emergency Road Service in my opinion.

Since I will no longer be personally going under the motorhome to get the tire, a local shop was able to modify and extend the tire carrier to hold an old unmounted spare tire selected as the best from the last round of tire replacements. This gives me an extra backup because when the service company called by CoachNet is there, they have had the equipment on the truck to pull off the old damaged shredded tire from the blowout rim, and mount the old spare tire. The tire is not something I want to drive on, but it helps peace of mind to know I still have an inflated spare if another tire blows. The tire is not balanced but I hope to never have to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armysandy View Post
Thanks from Nova Scotia
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote