Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-24-2022, 06:46 AM   #1
Tonyf

Default Supernova Trailer brake controller

Hi folks, can anyone confirm that the SN does or does not have a built in brake controller? I verified at the brake pin on the trailer receptacle that no voltage is applied when the brake pedal is depressed but this may not be a definitive test with some controllers. I’ve not been able to find anything that looks like a controller.

I’ll be towing a heavy load with it and would like some sort of trailer brake control. Any recommendations on a controller?? Thanks.
Old 01-26-2022, 08:25 AM   #2
Vinnie

My 6341 (same chassis) is equipped with an "off-the-shelf" brake controller that is wired into the harness under the dash.
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:58 AM   #3
pwerwagn

My SN has an aftermarket brake controller in it.

If yours has one, it should be obvious. It will not have an integrated factory controller like new trucks do.

IF you dont have one in it, there are quite few cool options out there now.
Old 01-30-2022, 10:39 AM   #4
FreedMeister

My 2008 SN has an aftermarket unit that i installed. I suggest you run a new large gauge wire from the controller to the trailer connector as the one in the trailer harness is not sufficient for running brakes. I also put a relay switched, high amp battery power wire in the connector for my trailer battery/ accessories.
FreedMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 03:58 PM   #5
Tonyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyf View Post
Hi folks, can anyone confirm that the SN does or does not have a built in brake controller? I verified at the brake pin on the trailer receptacle that no voltage is applied when the brake pedal is depressed but this may not be a definitive test with some controllers. I’ve not been able to find anything that looks like a controller.

I’ll be towing a heavy load with it and would like some sort of trailer brake control. Any recommendations on a controller?? Thanks.
Well, it did not have a controller, (it does now) but was prewired, 10ga blue wire, plenty heavy. It had all 4 wires needed and correctly color coded.

For future reference the wires were tucked way up under the dash above the ignition switch on top of the harness and not visible, I found them by tracing the blue wire forward from the trailer receptacle.