Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-08-2022, 09:36 AM   #1
SkiLoWi

Default 2007 Crescendo 8390 CRW - dead as a door nail

EDIT: Thanks to all for your kind assistance. I now know which battery sets are which and when/how they charge (or not). We've power to start and I've a trickle charger on the chassis batteries to keep them topped off while I continue with the remodel/redecorating. Now on the the next dumb question (in another post) ...

Newbie (and probably, dumb) question -
We've a new (to us) 2007 Gulf Stream 8390 CRW Crescendo mooch-docking in our driveway while I update the interior as per the CEO's "requests." Running a space heater as well as the primary furnace (on low) to keep the interior at a bearable temperature (currently 17-degress here in Utah) while I work on it. We've had it here since the last of October.
I went to start it up yesterday, only to find it sitting deader than the proverbial door nail. Batteries show to be charged and everything 12-volt seems to be working just fine.
No detailed documentation came with the coach, and I've not been real successful in finding anything on the 'net as to which are the house batteries vs chassis ... quite possibly (probably) I'm checking the wrong ones.
I'm assuming (and we all know what that means) the starting batteries are in the bay just ahead of the power bay, while the chassis batteries are located on the passenger side ... does that sound right?
Blown fuse maybe? Where are fuses located?
Any assistance/ideas would be greatly appreciated. TYIA
SkiLoWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 10:09 AM   #2
Chuck v

On my 2007 Tour Master coach and probably on many others of that vintage the chassis batteries (for engine) are not charged on shore power...just the house batteries are. The coach batteries are charged when the engine runs from the alternator on the big diesel engine.

I added a quality float charger to my coach to keep the chassis batteries up for my long periods of not running the engine (I was living in the unit full-time...) which did run on shore power, but without that the engine batteries would indeed go flat over time.

If you have a voltmeter, you can measure the terminal voltage of each battery stack and determine which one is for the house loads (interior lights, furnace, etc.) and which is for the vehicle systems -- engine start, headlights and such.

Your coach should have two disconnect switches near the exit door marked "chassis" and "coach" (or maybe "house") which independently turn off the batteries from all loads for longer term storage. Be sure your Chassis battery stack is turned on by this switch.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is online now   Reply With Quote