Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class B+
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-06-2023, 01:46 PM   #1
evh5150

Default BT5210 Window Insulation

Fall is a nice time to get some RV camping in but we have experienced a lot of heat loss from the two large side windows on our BT5210 particularly through the night being they are not thermo pane.
Decided to insulated them with Reflectix foil insulation with favorable results, thus keeping the cabin much warmer.
I removed the 10 inside vertical frame screws and replaced with threaded snap receptors...per window
Cut the insulation and added the mating snap buttons to the foil.
Quick and easy to install each foil panel with minimal heat loss!
To store the two panels We just roll up and store in the closet adjacent to the rear door.
Material:
Foil sheet on roll :Amazon
Snap button kit: Amazon
Hole puncher for foil snap buttons :Amazon or Harbor Freight

Couple this mod with a heavy weight sliding curtain isolating the front cab and high 30's outside is do able for over nighters without furnace constantly running.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20231106_102215.jpg (194.4 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20231106_095734.jpg (310.4 KB, 13 views)
evh5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 06:53 PM   #2
BPeschka

Which snap kit did you get on Amazon? I see a million listed, many with 100+ snap sets. The kit in your picture looks smaller. Do you have a link you can share? Thanks

2004 BT Cruiser 5210
Class C
BPeschka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 07:54 AM   #3
ImaginePeace

Thumbs up

I'm just curious if the snaps were necessary or if the foil insulation would stay in place behind the blinds?
ImaginePeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 08:24 AM   #4
BPeschka

We currently use foil sunscreens tucked behind the blinds. They work OK but want to slide down. Plus, there are gaps. I’m hoping the snap ones will do better.

2004 BT Cruiser 5210
Class C
BPeschka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 11:42 AM   #5
evh5150

BP
Yes I had to purchase a 120 piece set as it was the smallest qty. Use the short screw receptor in the frame
As an assembly aid I made a template from a narrow piece (2" wide) of 1/4" plywood for the snap spacing. I made the hole locations wide enough to fit a Sharpie tip so can easily located the locations to use the hole punch.
No need to put snaps on the top and bottom. Just make the foil panel longer there to extend beyond the window by 2".
You will need to grab the foil snap firmly to lift it off the mating window snap receptor upon panel removal.
evh5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 09:29 AM   #6
maddog53

I just cut to window dimension and placed behind the blinds. 99%of the time, they stay right where I put them. No fasteners, nothing. Easy to pull out if I need to use the windows
maddog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 06:50 PM   #7
Just two

We just replaced one of the frameless windows 60” x 30” with a tear drop style from Recpro. Fits like a glove. It seals so nice and tight. Anyone need a barely used frameless window. We ordered the second one today. Didn’t want to order 2 just in case we needed to return them . No returning, not a chance this thing is so nice. Why doesn’t GS put these in in the first place?
Frameless is such junk. They make them sound so great at the RV shows.
Just two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 06:58 PM   #8
Just two

Default New window install.

Big hole where a window should be. New window is a slider. Not so worried about loosing the awning window and being able to opening the windows in the rain. We have 2 deluxe Maxfans and get plenty of air. The new window slides great. The screen also slides so we can hand stuff outside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0469.jpg (180.9 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0471.jpg (137.7 KB, 5 views)
Just two is offline   Reply With Quote