Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-05-2021, 03:37 PM   #1
bowtiebill

Default Battery compartment for Conquest Super C

Hey gang,
I have a 2005 Conquest Super C, model 6316. The one thing that I have always disliked is the terrible design of the house battery compartment. The access door is barley large enough to do any battery maintenance. But the worse part about it is trying to replace the batteries.
Has anyone modified the battery compartment? I would love to see any pictures you might have. I thought about enlarging the access door and fabricating a slide out. But that would not be easy.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
bowtiebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:26 AM   #2
Mike1931

Bill, we have a 2004 Endura 6346 by Gulf Stream. I too had issues with the house battery (yes that’s one) on the left side of the coach. I checked on the right between the basement storage doors. There was one panel that was hinged and held down by two “L” brackets. Sliding under the coach I could see there was plenty of room for a slide type battery box. By the way the panel was/is hinged. I made my own manual slide box that was/is long enough to hold 4 deep cycle golf cart batteries. I wired them in series to get a 12 volt supply. Yes it’s a lot of work to do, that said it’s well worth the trouble. I also added a 2000 watt inverter. So we can run of grid without running the generator. The batteries will last for aproximatly 72 hours. As long as you switch your appliances to gas and don’t use your air conditioner (s). My skill level is about a 6 out of 10, yes I had help with the wielding. I also bought a matching compartment door handle, so it looks like it’s a factory installed door.
Mike R
Tulalip Washington
Mike1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:40 AM   #3
Fredeman

I also have an 2006 Gulfstream Endura 6346. All of our coaches suffer the same design issue. I added a battery watering system to make it easier to maintain the batteries. I have not modified my compartment, but I would be interested in seeing pictures of what Bill has done to his.
Fredeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 10:45 AM   #4
Mike1931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredeman View Post
I also have an 2006 Gulfstream Endura 6346. All of our coaches suffer the same design issue. I added a battery watering system to make it easier to maintain the batteries. I have not modified my compartment, but I would be interested in seeing pictures of what Bill has done to his.
Can we exchange email addresses here?
Mike R
Tulalip Washington
Old 03-16-2021, 04:05 PM   #5
Chebbierus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1931 View Post
Can we exchange email addresses here?
Mike R
Tulalip Washington
Hi Bill,
I too would like to see photos of how you modified the compartment. If photos can not be posted in this forum would you like to text them?
Thanks,
Dave
Old 03-17-2021, 11:02 AM   #6
bowtiebill

Hey Guys,
Thanks for the replies.
I think some of you misread my post though. I have not modified my compartment yet. I am looking for pictures/suggestions of what others might of done. Yes, I had added a Quick Fill watering system to the two 12 volt batteries. But replacing the batteries, cleaning the connections, etc., is very difficult. I just replaced the two 12 volt Trojan batteries with two UPG AGM batteries.
Sounds like I am not alone thinking that this was a poor design.
Old 03-17-2021, 11:05 AM   #7
bowtiebill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1931 View Post
Bill, we have a 2004 Endura 6346 by Gulf Stream. I too had issues with the house battery (yes that’s one) on the left side of the coach. I checked on the right between the basement storage doors. There was one panel that was hinged and held down by two “L” brackets. Sliding under the coach I could see there was plenty of room for a slide type battery box. By the way the panel was/is hinged. I made my own manual slide box that was/is long enough to hold 4 deep cycle golf cart batteries. I wired them in series to get a 12 volt supply. Yes it’s a lot of work to do, that said it’s well worth the trouble. I also added a 2000 watt inverter. So we can run of grid without running the generator. The batteries will last for aproximatly 72 hours. As long as you switch your appliances to gas and don’t use your air conditioner (s). My skill level is about a 6 out of 10, yes I had help with the wielding. I also bought a matching compartment door handle, so it looks like it’s a factory installed door.
Mike R
Tulalip Washington
Thanks for the info Mike. I would love to see pictures of this. I will shoot you a private message. Not sure the Endura and Conquest are set up the same in regards to the compartments, but might be similar enough, or give me some ideas. Thanks again.
Bill
Old 03-26-2021, 09:55 PM   #8
BPeschka

I have a 2004 BT Cruiser 5210 with the same setup, it seems.

Can’t get a battery filler in to maintain the levels. Even cut the handles off a filler and epoxied the holes to make it fit. Still not quite enough.

When I bought it last year the battery was bad. Got a new one and talked my son into bench pressing the new one up, while tilting it on its end. Kinda dangerous.

Anyway, I want to find a welder who could help reconfigure. Get rid of the diaganol brace blocking the entrance door. Maybe a drawer? Need a bigger hatch to accommodate the drawer. I was thinking of a slightly larger hatch, like my black/gray water access. Have to find an RV salvage place.

At the same time, need to address the wheel well right behind the battery. There’s no partition between battery and wheel well so water throws onto battery.

I hope they don’t pay people to design this stuff.

2004 BT Cruiser 5210
Class C
BPeschka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:14 PM   #9
Mike1931

Bill, you can search for the door and frame that would fit your need online. Maybe go to your local RV parts dealer and find what you need. As your upgrading the battery location, I would defiantly put some kind of separation between the wheel well and batteries. When you build the bottom, use or make the floor with some 3/8 inch holes in it, just in case a battery brakes open or blows up!