Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-04-2020, 08:16 AM   #1
BR MiMi

Default How to Winterize; De-winterize 2011 BT Cruiser

We have had RV techs do this in the past. But now the costs exceed $200 for either one. I hear that it's not hard for one to do it. The directions are not in the manual. Could someone tell me how to do this. Thank you so much.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #2
Debi3735

Default We blow our lines out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR MiMi View Post
We have had RV techs do this in the past. But now the costs exceed $200 for either one. I hear that it's not hard for one to do it. The directions are not in the manual. Could someone tell me how to do this. Thank you so much.
Hi
I have had my air lines blown out with a compressor for the last 2 years, it works beautifully on my 06 BT Cruising. The main thing to make sure of is that you blow the hot water tank. I then put anti-freeze in the traps for the shower, sink, and kitchen, about 1 gallon suffices. Hope this helps
Debi3735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:53 AM   #3
Jbahr

There are a couple of ways to winterize your camper. You can pour antifreeze in the lines and drains or use air pressure to blow out the lines and drain the water tank. I’ve done both you need to decide which is right for you. The easiest way to learn is to watch a couple of “YouTube” videos on the internet. Everyone has a slightly different step by step version just take notes and make sure you fallow all the steps. The first time will take you longer, but take your time and do it right so you don’t over look anything and make sure you bleed the water tank pressure before you unscrew the Anode rod. Good luck it’s not as overwhelming as people make it seem.
Jbahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:42 PM   #4
hossross

Quote:
This is my first time with an RV and it is a 2006 BT Cruiser. I looked at several videos and decided to use air to blow the lines out for this reason. They make a big deal out of cleaning the supply lines in the spring by running water for 10 minutes to clear the anti freeze from the lines. That makes sense, but when it comes to protecting the fresh water tank residual water, there is little discussion. The obvious thing is to add antifreeze to that tank also in proportion to the water remaining in the tank. But since the problem is the drains are approximately 1 inch remaining because of the outlet nipple and the routing to the low point drains, I will always have antifreeze in the fresh water supply tank, I can dilute it by adding 40 gallons of water, but never really get rid of it. So if it is important to totally flush the supply lines why not the tank. The problem is there is no way to get all the waterout of the tank. I used air to push out all I could, leveled the RV for best draining , but the outlet nipples are just to high. I cut a hole in the top so I could suck out all the water, and then got a blind bulkhead fitting to reseal the top. I don't know if most just add anti freeze to the fresh water and drink diluted next spring, of if my tank is unique in not draining, or if people consider 1 inch of frozen water in a big tank will not cause damage ( I prefer not to have ice pushing on polyprolene) as the potential damage of a leak at the bottom of the tank could cause a lot of floor rot. How are most winterizing the water tank. Also if you choose to use either air or antifreeze, remember to purge both the shower head and the tub fill.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:36 PM   #5
KRoseVideo

Quote:
=====================================

Winterizing RV Camper ........................ Check List

1) Drain the Tanks
1-a: Black Water Tank ............................................. _____________
1-b: Gray Water Tank .............................................. _____________

2) Drain the Fresh Water Tank
2-a: Fresh Water Tank ............................................. _____________

3) Drain the Hot Water Heater
3-a: Relieve Pressure in Tank ................................ _____________
3-b: 1-1/16” socket remove annode Rod .............. _____________
3-c: Allow Tank to drain. set Annode rod aside.... _____________

4) Air Pressure to Water inlet. < 45 PSI
4-a: Attach Pressure Regulator to city inlet
Fresh water hook up. .......... _____________
4-b: Temporarily apply air pressure to
empty water out of water heater. ................... _____________
4-c: Disconnect Air. .............................................

5) By-Pass Water Heater

6) Re-Apply Air Pressure to Water inlet. < 45 PSI regulator
Open Hot, then Cold faucet till water
blows out in succession. Then close.
6-a: Kitchen Sink .................................................. ... _____________
6-b: Shower .................................................. ... _____________
Shower hose/head ........................................... _____________
6-c: Bath Sink .................................................. ... _____________
6-d: Toilet .................................................. ... _____________

7) Disconnect Air and remove Regulator ............................... ______________

WATER PUMP
8-a: Remove Inlet Hose to Water Pump .......... _____________
8-b: Attach Hose to suck Anti-Freeze
from bottle to pump antifreeze until pink
antifreeze comes out of faucets.
8-c Kitchen Cold __________ Kitchen Hot ________
Bath Cold _____________ Bath Hot ___________
Shower Cold ___________ Shower Hot ________
Toilet: _________________

9) Re-Install Hot Water Tank Anode Rod in Water Heater.
9-a: Use Thread Tape before threading in. __________________
9-b: Thread in carefully to avoid cross threading. ____________
9-c: Tighten with 1-1/16” socket wrench. ___________________

10) Pour 1 cup of Anti-Freeze in Traps and in Toilet _________________

11) Open Faucets and Leave Open .......................... _________________

12) Empty Holding Tanks one more time
12-a: Black Water Tank ........................................... _____________
12-b: Gray Water Tank ............................................ _____________

All Done .......
================================================== ==

___________________________________________ ___________________
Sign Date

For De-Winterizing, pretty much same in reverse, but not so critical.
===================================
I made this list for my 2004 Gulfstream BT 5211 BT Cruiser. You may have additional items like the external shower, etc., but this list is compiled from many of the videos that I watched several years ago when I first bought the RV in 2015.

==================================
Roy KRoseVideo 2004 BT 5211
KRoseVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #6
hossross

Good process, why do you drain the black water and grey water twice, especially if need to be at sanitary dump? Your procedure adds anti freeze into the water system starting at the pump, which fills all the supply lines with anti-freeze so probably will need more than 1 gallon. Also could you address my main point that the fresh water tank does not completely drain. How much (inches) water if left in your tank when drained? Assuming there is almost an inch in the bottom, what do you do with that?
Old 11-23-2020, 07:27 AM   #7
KRoseVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossross View Post
Good process, why do you drain the black water and grey water twice, especially if need to be at sanitary dump? Your procedure adds anti freeze into the water system starting at the pump, which fills all the supply lines with anti-freeze so probably will need more than 1 gallon. Also could you address my main point that the fresh water tank does not completely drain. How much (inches) water if left in your tank when drained? Assuming there is almost an inch in the bottom, what do you do with that?
The second draining of the Black water and Gray water tanks are very little water and can be drained easily into a Homer Bucket. (5 gallon) and dumped in the toilet. It is clean water and some pink antifreeze.
I use approximately 1 gallon for the process but then dump some more antifreeze into the toilet after the second dump as I plan to drive to Florida in late January. I keep 3 gallons of RV antifreeze with me for the trip to flush the toilet during the trip south and coming back north. I also de-Winterize when I get far enough South. I re- Winterize when heading back north.
Concerning the Fresh Water Tank, I leave it in the drain position until I am ready to re-fill it as I reach a location far enough South. Last year it was right at the FL border Flying J. The water in the bottom of the tank will continue to drain on my trip back north due to the motion of the vehicle. Since I park in my insulated Barn, I have never had a problem. Also, the fresh water tank in my rig is inside the cabin under the folding couch. If really concerned, I could place my electric space heater at a “freeze guard” setting when I am at the farm.
I hope some of this helps.
Old 11-23-2020, 07:31 AM   #8
KRoseVideo

I also carry a cleaned out large Laundry Detergent bottle with fresh water for hand washing in the lavatory. This is minimal amount of water just for hand washing and perhaps toilet use when far enough South to no longer need to use RV antifreeze.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:08 PM   #9
hossross

When driving to Florida from the northern end, do you run the house furnace?