Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #1
Ways2Go

Default Cover?

Good morning! As a new owner and new to this world, I will be storing my travel trailer outside on a bed of gravel, in central Virginia. Having read mixed reviews on having it under a fitted cover, I would appreciate your thoughts, as well as other suggestions. Many thanks!
Ways2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 10:47 AM   #2
VA_Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ways2Go View Post
Good morning! As a new owner and new to this world, I will be storing my travel trailer outside on a bed of gravel, in central Virginia. Having read mixed reviews on having it under a fitted cover, I would appreciate your thoughts, as well as other suggestions. Many thanks!
We do not cover and I live in central Virginia as well. I will say though to invest in the Maxxair or Camco vent covers. My 2019 Innsbruck vent covers disintegrated over the winter and we didn't find out till a week before our first trip for the year. We had to get the upper bunk completely rebuilt, luckily under warranty. The bathroom cover only cracked, but we replaced that as well. I do not plan on covering again this year, but we did invest in the Camco vent covers and I will be checking on the camper more during the winter.
VA_Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #3
Ways2Go

Thanks so much . . . really appreciate your time! We have already purchased the MaxxAir vents and the dealer is going to install before I pick it up!
Old 10-07-2020, 09:33 AM   #4
Gregory

I have always covered but that was mostly because I owned aframes and they were prone to leaks.
Now I am looking to build an enclosure but will still cover if needed.
Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:19 AM   #5
Ways2Go

Thanks, Gregory! Appreciate your thoughts!!
Old 10-11-2020, 10:07 AM   #6
JaLyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ways2Go View Post
Thanks so much . . . really appreciate your time! We have already purchased the MaxxAir vents and the dealer is going to install before I pick it up!
Climb up on your RVs roof and make sure your dealer Did Installed your MaxxAire Vent Covers !!!
JaLyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:26 AM   #7
Ways2Go

Will do . . . I have added it to my checklist for when I pick up my TT next month!! Thank you!!
Old 10-11-2020, 11:17 AM   #8
bse12854

Default Covers

It is always wise to use a cover it stops the ultraviolet fading from the sun. As far as parking on gravel is there a moisture barrier included under the gravel ? Just gravel is not good enough. I park my 32 footer on a tarp and 2x12s the tarp sops the moisture. I also cover it completely to stop the ultraviolet. But then again I live in ct and the winters are a little more extreme.
bse12854 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 12:12 PM   #9
Ways2Go

Thank you! Hadn't thought about the moisture barrier!! Winters here aren't too bad, fortunately!
Old 10-12-2020, 07:55 AM   #10
VaHappyCamper

This will be my 3rd winter with the present camper. First year I covered, second year, I did not. Was there any difference? Not that I could tell. However, one of my mentors, strongly advised covering for the "hidden damage" that can be caused by ultra-violet light. Is he right? I don't know, but for the cost of the cover, I'll keep mine covered for as long as I own it. As for the gravel parking, I park on gravel also, but I simply put leveling blocks under my tires to get them off the ground and I also COVER THE TIRES. It has been proven that ultra-violet rays do damage the tires. BTW, I live in the western part of Virginia.
VaHappyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:27 PM   #11
dan596

I too have tried covering and not covering. I agree the UV protection is a good reason but I learned the off season I didn't cover it how much it helped to keep my rig clean. If your RV/TT is large and washing/waxing is an all day job on a ladder, not to mention washing the roof, then using a cover is very worth it. This is particularly true if a) you live where it will snow, b)you park it where leaves/needles/acorns/etc. will fall collect on it, c) you intend to leave it parked and unchecked for any length of time, say a month or more. I have max air vent covers but things like pine needles and little bugs still find their way in if I don't cover it. A cover will help keep debris and ice from collecting for any length of time near seals/seems/vents/AC/antenna where it would accelerate the degradation of these things. Lastly, it helps prevent mold/scum build up which will just be that much harder to clean. I'm in NH storing during late Fall to Early Spring were it is freezing to cool. Since you are more south that I, I can't advise on what having a cover on it will be like if it gets hot and humid.
As for parking on gravel. I haven't had any problems with this, but I do put boards under the tires so they have an even, weight distributing surface. I cover them too.
One last thing that is a MUST when storing for any length of time. Have a pest control plan. Since I have yet to find something that keep rodents out, I keep mouse traps in several spots around my RV and check them regularly, covered or not. Also after your close it up and put your RV/TT key away for the season, leave a note attached to the key to check for signs of hornet/bee nests. You will thank yourself for this caution when you go to open it up the next season and don't rush into it with the kids and pets standing around.
dan596 is offline   Reply With Quote