Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-14-2021, 12:32 PM   #1
Ldubs

Default Another Generator Question

I'm sure similar questions have been asked. Sorry if this is a rehash for you experienced folk.

I have a Vintage Cruiser 19ERD travel trailer (30 amp). I'm wondering if I exclude the A/C, what size generator would I need to run things such as lights, TV, water pump, and, Keurig, and perhaps very occasional microwave. We don't have a problem managing usage, meaning we wouldn't run the microwave and Keurig at the same time for example. Would a generator in the 2000 peak/1600 running watts class work well?

Part two of my question: We have a single Dometic brand roof top A/C unit, which I believe is rated at 13,500 BTU. If I were to add one of the soft start kits to the A/C, would I be able to run the A/C off of one of these smaller generator? I suspect this might be wishful thinking, but figure it can't hurt to ask.

Thanks.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 10:01 PM   #2
Dennis4809

I use a Honda EU2000:to do as you described. Not sure about the AC but the soft start might do the trick. Whatever you decide, be sure to get an inverter style as they are so much quieter.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 07:12 AM   #3
Dexter

Many microwaves are 1500 watts. That’d be a little close to the edge for me anyway. Min. In my opinion would be 2400 continuous. The difference in cost,noise, and fuel usage would be minimal.
"ROLL TIDE" WE ARE #1
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:36 PM   #4
Ldubs

Thanks Dennis & Dexter. This will help in the decision process.

Take care.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:48 PM   #5
Dennis4809

While I normally subscribe to the bigger is better theory, in this case I went with the EU-2000 because of the weight and physical size. I carry one of these in the motorhome just for those times when we don’t need the AC. I can lift this size generator and store it in a storage bay while I couldn’t lift the larger generator.
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 10:18 PM   #6
Ldubs

Yep, I am thinking weight is a major consideration, as is the cost. I can put a smaller 50 pound 2000 watt portable in the back of my pick-up. I'm thinking down the road if more capacity becomes a high priority, I can spring for a second one and chain the two together. For me it is easier to carry two 50 pounders than a single 100 pounder. Though I wonder if it will ever come to that. Anyway, that is my current thinking.

I'm starting to do some research on available products. It is going to be a balancing act between weight, price, and sound level.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:47 PM   #7
Sarge104

It may be larger then what you would like but have you considered the 3500 inverter from harbor freight? 3000 continuous watts and I believe 25 amps of power. I use mine on my 95 gulfstream sun voyager. Been in use for three years now and the only issue I've had was unplugging the spark arrestor when I first broke it in. Fully fueled it is still a one person lift.
Sarge104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:11 AM   #8
MMalone2

This should run your single AC unit
https://www.amazon.com/WEN-56380i-38..._t2_B07WJZ1PQ4
MMalone2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:09 PM   #9
Ldubs

I have heard good things about the Harbor Freight and Wen units.

My only option is to haul the generator in the bed of my truck. Sadly, while I feel comfortable pulling a 100# unit out of the truck bed it will not be so easy for me to lift it back up into the bed. I suppose I could get a small bed or hitch mounted crane but hate to add more complexity. Or, maybe a ramp. IDK.

We are basically weekend warriors when it comes to taking our small travel trailer out (well, except we avoid weekends because of the crowds). We go here and there for a few days/nights at a time. We are looking at a possible two week trip later this year, but that is not our normal usage.

Well, the benefit of these forums is the great feedback that allows me to consider options. I like the ease of use of the smaller 2000W 50 lb units. But this summer I might feel differently. Haha.

Still scratching my head.
Old 01-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #10
Ldubs

I was cruising around eTrailer's site and stumbled on the "Stromberg Carlson Trailer Tray Cargo Carrier for A-Frame Trailers". Something like this could be a solution for carrying a heavier generator.

The plot thickens! Haha
Old 02-02-2021, 08:58 PM   #11
Ldubs

Oops. Deleted.