Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-27-2020, 10:51 AM   #1
P.Tom

Question propane generators

Hi All, Just wondering if anyone out there had any ideas or comments on the benefits or drawbacks of having a duel fuel (propane and gasoline) generator. I have heard that running one with propane quickly depletes your tank. Thanks, Tom
P.Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:44 AM   #2
Sundancer268

It does use a lot of Propane, but being as my main engine is Diesel, there is no way I could use Gasoline to run my generator on that fuel. I have never seen a propane generator used on a gas engined coach, the main fuel tank would be adequate and the use of propane not justified. On a Diesel, carrying an adequate quantity of Gasoline would be a safety issue unless you could find a way to permanently and safely mount a tank. Portable tanks would be impractical to safely haul the volume of required to be useful.
Air Force One Brake System
Sundancer268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:44 PM   #3
gezzer

Default propane powered generator

P. Tom have you considered that the generator being run on propane produces less wattage?

The advantage over gasoline is it runs cleaner.

If your rig is diesel --diesel's the way to go in my humble opinion
gezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:51 PM   #4
gezzer

Default a thought

P. Tom something else to consider.-- The newer inverter generators can operate at lower rpm when not loaded to their maximum wattage thus being !!!lots quieter!!!

something to consider when trying to sleep with the gen running
gezzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 07:54 AM   #5
muleman

You know I am just guessing but think you are not operating a coach as the other people are referring to but a pull camper. Wondering about a portable duel fuel inverter generator
I have not had the pleasure yet of having one but am fixing to purchase one. I read great things about them. 1 downfall I have read they do use quiet a bit of propane I think around a 20lb tank in 12 hours if under hard pull. The rest is great the best for me is I would rather carry couple extra propane bottles with me over gasoline containers. Hope somewhat helpful
muleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:07 PM   #6
P.Tom

Thanks for the info. I do have a 5th wheel and considering a new portable generator since it does not have a built in one.
P.Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 12:47 PM   #7
Chuck v

I had a diesel generator in my Tour Master coach, but I have had several propane generators at other off-grid properties and for standby use at several homes. The advantage of propane generators is the freedom of priming and choke hassles often associated with gas generators that get only occasional use, particularly in winter. One of my stationary generators in an off-grid use was designed to run continuously if needed, and was an 1800 RPM machine that was long-life and low wear...but as noted these do use a lot of fuel compared to a diesel of similarly speed, and perhaps more than a contemporary gasoline fueled generator also.

A further benefit of propane as a fuel for standby generators is the 'shelf life' issue. Propane can be stored long term, whereas gasoline goes stale over a short number of weeks if special additives are not employed. When gasoline evaporates from the carburetor it leaves a varnish-like deposits which adds to maintenance tasks for sure.

If I were to be acquiring a generator for dedicated use in a towable RV, I would look at a name brand gas powered INVERTER style unit, as these run at variable speeds which are matched to the electrical load -- this gives very good fuel efficiencies. Just be sure to perform all the maintenance and storage protocols in their manuals to ensure hassle free operation.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, propane