Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #1
jcwilde1

Default Boondocking with a vista

I am new to RVing and am going to be purchasing a 19 or 23 model vista in the spring (depending on which one my 2012 Nissan Frontier tows better). However I cannot find any information about which devices work when you are not plugged in. I know the refrigerator is propane and assume since the stove is gas that is too. But what about the water heater, lights, tv, stereo, water pump and heat? The lights and heat are our primary concern. I am assuming the AC is out.

We are hoping to be going out in the spring so we expect some chilly nights. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!
jcwilde1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:21 AM   #2
lulundb

Default Re: Boondocking with a vista

Some people chose to use the electric for the water heater we prefer to use the propane. Get a good Rv generator if you are like us and Boon dock for most of the time. Yamaha and Honda equal in performance, Do not get a cheap construction that will be loud and offense. Carry extra water with you. Make sure your first couple of trips are close to home so you can get back easily if you have a problem with you propane and water consumption. As far as
towing you can look up the specs for both models and your Nissan. I know sway bars will help out greatly.
lulundb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:38 AM   #3
MikeK

We own a 23RSD, any thing that runs on 12 volt or propane will work,refrigerator, stove, water heater, lights, water pump. The microwave,tv(unless your tv is 12 volts) and stereo won't. To help we also changed all the lights to LED (they use a lot less power) I hope this helped Happy Camping
https://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psbmjsyrcu.jpg
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:44 PM   #4
jcwilde1

Thanks for the help. So the furnace won't work without the generator then? I figured the heat was propane but thought maybe the blower may be AC.

Also, it looks Mike K is pulling that with a Tacoma. That is encouraging. The nissan tows 6,100, but I assume that is pushing it. We figured the 19ERD would be as big as we would want to go, but maybe trying out the 23 would be worth it. The extra space would be sweet, I just worry when we decide to do a long trek into the mountains or across Kansas with a lot of wind that I would wish we would have a lighter one.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:32 PM   #5
lulundb

furnace runs without a generator. If you have a decent dealer they will do a walk thru and show you how everything works.
If they do not have time for your question then you do not have time for them. This is your investment and you are theirs. Make
sure they treat you right.
lulundb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #6
jcwilde1

Lulundb, thanks for that furnace info. So the dealer we are getting ours through, just became a gulfstream dealer. So they do not have any on their lot and never had, so we are basically waiting for them to get them in. We took a tour of a Vintage version and fell in love with the floor plan but don't feel comfortable mooching off of that dealer for info. So figured we would try to get some answers beforehand to manage our expectations.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:58 PM   #7
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcwilde1
Also, it looks Mike K is pulling that with a Tacoma. That is encouraging. The nissan tows 6,100, but I assume that is pushing it. We figured the 19ERD would be as big as we would want to go, but maybe trying out the 23 would be worth it. The extra space would be sweet, I just worry when we decide to do a long trek into the mountains or across Kansas with a lot of wind that I would wish we would have a lighter one.
Yes I do tow the 23rsd with the tacoma, It has the towing package(larger radiator,bigger alternator,heavy duty battery, trans cooler). We were looking at a 19erd but chose the 23rsd . You don't feel cramped and the 23 is a tandum axle which tow nicer. Last fall we went from Ohio to Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone and Jackson Hole Wy. with no problems. The 23 dry weight was only 600 lbs more than the 19 erd. A better choice for me was th 23. Anymore questions let me know Ill be happy to answer Happy Camping
https://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psbmjsyrcu.jpg
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote