Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-01-2015, 10:05 PM   #1
TheUnitasker

Default 50 amp vs 30 amp

Just bought a 2011 Gulf Stream AmeriLite 15FB Trailer. 1st time RV trailer owner. It has 30 amp receptacle but, from what I can tell online, some campgrounds only offer 50 amp service. I have ordered a 50 AMP male to 30 AMP female adapter but now I'm not sure that is the solution. Can the trailer's service be upgraded to 50 amp? Again I am a novice at this but, in reading the owners manual, it sounds like running the A/C (15 amps) and microwave (15 amps) may overtax the system and blow a breaker. What advice do the experts offer? Thanks!
TheUnitasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
GStream40
Site Team

Default Re: 50 amp vs 30 amp

I have been to many campgrounds since owning several RV's since 1989. There are actually many, many campgrounds that only offer 30 amp service especially in the northern states. But I have never been in a campground that did not have 30 amp plugs if they also had 50 amp service available.

You need to understand what 50 amp service actually is VS 30 amp service. 50 amp service is two 50 amp 120 volt supply lines to the 50 amp plug,
30 amp service is one 30 amp supply line to the 30 amp plug. If you used a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter you would have one 120 volt 50 amp supply line
to your 30 amp plug BUT you still are limited to 30 amp usage of power by your trailer due to the breakers in your trailer.

It is too costly to change the trailer to 50 amp service, it would have to a a new breaker box, complete wiring change. It would cost big $$$$.

The 30 amp service should supply your needs with no problems except watching what you use at one time, which also one has to do also with 50 amp
service supply.

Go and use your RV, I think you will be pleasantly surprized with your 30 amp service.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
MikeK

Every campground Ive been at has either 30 or 50 amp service to plug into. From what I understand the only time you would need 50 amp hookup is if your camper has 2 air conditioners. Ive camped in Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee. All the state parks have both on each site. I wouldn't worry about an adapter. Happy Camping
https://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psbmjsyrcu.jpg
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:25 PM   #4
TheUnitasker

Thanks you both, gentlemen. I appreciate the education in amperage. Guess I wasted a few $ on the adapter but I will have it if I ever do need it. As much as I hate heat & humidity, I'm sure I can survive a couple of minutes with the air off if I need to use the microwave. And as long as there is a BBQ grill, or a nearby Chinese restaurant, I won't need to use the microwave anyway!

Thanks again fellas.
TheUnitasker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:13 AM   #5
MikeK

I use the microwave w/ac running. The only time I popped a circuit breaker was in the fall when I had a small electric heater instead of the furnace running and my wife tried to use a toaster. Happy Camping
https://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/...psbmjsyrcu.jpg
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #6
atreis

I've heard that there are RV parks that only have 50 amp outlets (no 30 amp), but I've never actually seen one. I doubt you'll need the adapter, but as you say, it didn't cost much.

MikeK - Glanced at the photo of the trailer and brain said, "Hmm.. Something not quite right there..." The picnic table is green, and is situated such that at a glance it appeared there was grass showing through completely empty wheel wells.