Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-15-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
Gilles

Default roof material on GS Visa 23RBK

Hi Everyone, I'm considering purchasing a 2011 Gulfstream 23RBK. Took a look at the roof, and the middle section is not glossy fiberglass like the front, back and sides. More of a flat, rougher white finish. Is this how they were all made or could this be something that was repaired?

Thanks in advance for you input
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 05:28 AM   #2
atreis

Default Re: roof material on GS Visa 23RBK

Most trailers (including GulfStream) have white rubber or EPDM roofs. There a handful of more expensive brands that use fiberglass or aluminum. To answer your question, it's normal.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:06 PM   #3
Gilles

Thank you for the info, I've only owned a popup before so this is new to me. Is there any maintenance or things to look at with such a roof material?
Old 11-17-2015, 05:34 AM   #4
atreis

Make sure the trailer has no signs of leaking inside the trailer (regardless of roof material) - such as discoloration on the ceiling or walls, soft spots on the floor. If anything like that is present, find another trailer. There can be serious hidden damage (rotted wood, mold) that is very difficult to repair.

On the roof itself look around the vents and other openings at the sealant (Dicor lap sealant). Make sure the sealant is in good condition, not loose, without cracks in the sealant. It does get dirty which is normal. Also check the edge of the roof, where it meets up with the sides and front and back to makes sure those are also well sealed without cracks. Also look for any openings with an exceptional amount of sealant on them - that could be the sign of the trailer having a leak that the owner tried to seal by adding more sealant rather than replacing what was there (which usually doesn't work). Many people recommend resealing every year or two. IME, if done reasonably well the sealant will last for 4-5 years or more.

The roof material itself is pretty durable and long lasting. The only concern would be an obvious tear or large spot of sealant where a tear had been repaired. They're pretty hard to tear, but a tree branch poking downward could do it.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:50 AM   #5
Gilles

Thank you for your advice, I now know much better what to look for.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:52 PM   #6
philabele

The roof on a Gulfstream Visa is one piece fibeglas, front to back. The fiberglas should have a gloss to it, as it is a gel coat. If you are looking at a unit that has an area of the roof that has no gloss, I would be very suspect that there was probably a repair done, or the gel coat has worn off. Either way, it is not normal.
philabele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:22 PM   #7
atreis

Quote:
Originally Posted by philabele
The roof on a Gulfstream Visa is one piece fibeglas, front to back. The fiberglas should have a gloss to it, as it is a gel coat. If you are looking at a unit that has an area of the roof that has no gloss, I would be very suspect that there was probably a repair done, or the gel coat has worn off. Either way, it is not normal.
Thought they were all made with the same sort of roof as mine. You can ignore what I said (although it would likely apply with another trailer).
Old 06-06-2021, 07:40 PM   #8
NERoamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreis View Post
Most trailers (including GulfStream) have white rubber or EPDM roofs. There a handful of more expensive brands that use fiberglass or aluminum. To answer your question, it's normal.
It's funny I'm a new owner myself and have been recently trying to determine exactly what kind of roof I have (It's a Friendship 248BH). The back of the owner's manual makes reference to EPDM so I thought it was that but wanted to be sure so i contacted Gulf Stream. They answered back saying that it is TPO instead. I asked for a 2nd confirmation citing the reference in the owners manual. The reply was that a smooth surface on a rubber roof would tell me that it is EPDM but a textured surface would indicate TPO. I went up there and sure enough, textured. So I messaged Gulfstream back and stated that i would take their word for it. When I go this week to buy some dicor to have on hand for repairs I'm going to relay my experience to the dealer just to see what they say as well.

How hard would it be to just say in the manual what the roof is made of?! Geeesh.
NERoamer is offline   Reply With Quote