Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-17-2020, 10:16 PM   #21
hossross

I wanted to acknowledge to Chuck V that technically your right about the total watts across a double pole breaker, ie 50 amp X's 240 = 12000. I was concentrating on trying to help identify how the trailer and circuit box were wired. Ie 240 or 120 If wired with 240 then there should be a place for a double breaker and split into 2 different 120 circuits. (could also be a 240 circuit also, based on the appliance discussion, but we are talking a FEMA trailer here, not luxury coaches) If originally wired for 120 then a single breaker of 30 amp and a single 120 circuit to feed all the sub circuits. There is a working assumption that a 50 amp double pole breaker is running less than 30 amps in the 120 line or one could not use 10 gauge wire out of the breaker, 50 amps requires the use of 6 gauge wire ie the 60% bigger wire and a hell of a lot stiffer to work with
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:12 AM   #22
Chuck v

Hossross,

Yes, the wiring gauge used should be an indicator -- this illustration is an excerpt from a Gulf Stream diagram for its 50 amp service wiring on large coaches...see the highlighted notations in red rectangles. Please note that the power legs and return wiring are all 6 GA, while the safety ground is 10 GA. The transfer switch and the generator wiring all support the full 50 amp load capability on each leg (even though most on-board generators are in the 8KW range and only a few are a full 12 KW.)

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 50 amp primary wiring on GS coaches.jpg (93.1 KB, 3 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 10:25 PM   #23
hossross

So noted on the 6-3 input wiring. Don't know if FEMA ever confirmed these details or just assumed the 4 wire cord had a 3 wire plug in. I doubt that the power cord was 6 gauge, Other than your coach having 6 gauge, have you seen that heavy gauge typiclly used on the shore power line. What is the smallest diameter coil you can make with the 6 gauge for storage?
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:37 AM   #24
Chuck v

Hossross,

As I posted in an earlier part of this thread, there are 50 amp RV service extension cords that are smaller gauge such as this one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/VEVOR-RV-...yABEgI-TvD_BwE

Note that this cord-set uses all 10 gauge conductors...

As far as storage of the attached shore power cord on my coach -- it had a power retraction reel and stored in one of the basement bays. It was a very flexible cable and the base diameter on the reel was about 8 inches in diameter. My factory cord was of course based on 6 gauge conductors..

Chuck

Old 11-19-2020, 09:56 AM   #25
Chuck v

Here is a link to 6 gauge 4 conductor service cable, note that the minimum recommended bend radius is about 6.5 inches...

https://www.zoro.com/carol-6-awg-4-c...01/i/G0970837/

Chuck