Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-28-2022, 06:14 AM   #1
Firecapt176

Default Roof AC while running generator

My dash AC no longer works, so decided to run generator while driving and utilize roof AC. AC runs for a minute, then stops, but has no issue running while stopped. Coach batteries are needing replaced and wondered if that could be part of my problem with 12v thermostat? 2002 sun voyager
Firecapt176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 05:35 PM   #2
Bike Dr

Check the pressure on the a/c ! It sounds like when the rpms increase the compressor is kicking out, if the pressure is not correct the compressor will cycle intermittently sometimes... I'd start there..then you can check the freeze sensor to make sure it's good and still in place! Just 2 quick things you can check, also check your low pressure sensor..
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 10:26 PM   #3
Bike Dr

My apologies you are referring to the roof a/c not the dash!! My fault! Different system, I'd have to ask if the alt is putting out the proper voltage then it should still have 12v. But a bad battery for sure could affect the systems operations. As you mentioned having week or bad batteries. That can put added stress on the alt trying to compensate. But is the 12v coming from the inverter/ converter it depends on the configuration of your systems and how they are integrated. But definitely start with the batteries if you suspect them!
Old 04-03-2022, 10:59 AM   #4
hossross

per Bike Dr question please clarify which A/C system you are asking about. If it is the vehicles dash system, when you say it quits working after a minute, does the fan stop blowing, or does the discharge air get warm (not cold) ? I also suspect if it gets warm after a minute that the system is low on refrigerant and it is ok at idle ie 800 rpm, but when driving ie 2000 rpm the freon is too low and the low pressure switch opens to save your compressor. This assumes it has one, most systems do. If the fan quits, is it all speeds? Some things to observe to better diagnose the condition
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 12:07 PM   #5
swensondc

When your roof air stops working is there a breaker poped on the generator?
swensondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:39 PM   #6
trotline

My Motorhome (2004 Indy on a Ford V-10 chassis) needs a new A/C compressor for the dash system. I have been running the generator and front roof a/c for cabin cooling while driving. All good.

When the generator is running it is charging the house battery. When the engine is running it is charging the house battery. Both can run at the same time. BUT, you need to make sure they are charging when they are running. If so you can eliminate the 12v system as the problem but get a new battery if you need one. That is not something you can ignore.

So if roof A/C runs fine on generator when parked why would that change when you are driving? I do not know but if it runs while parked and quits when driving after a while you have a dilemma. I will thunk on it.
I wish I could help but maybe my story will help in some way.
trotline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:07 PM   #7
Bike Dr

It sounds to me like the dash system may have failed so he decided to run the house ac off the gen and it only ran a short time and quit also and the thermostat is reduced voltage signal. But these are two different systems all together when referring to voltage to the stats for the 120v roof units
Old 04-03-2022, 11:58 PM   #8
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

YES, LOOSE WIRES/ LOOSE BATTERY TERMINALS can be an issue, and maybe bad battery/ies, if voltage drops too low, but voltage should be fine while traveling IF charge circuit from engine/alternator making it to the Coach Battery/ies. COMMON PROBLEM for your symptom (GEN dies under Load) is an INTERMITTENT/FAILING FUEL PUMP, but modify problem to read (GEN DIES WHEN COACH MOVING) adds possibility of LOW GEN OIL LEVEL; (some models) w/ Oil filter use pressure switch, but others like the KY/Micro-quiet have no filter, but do use an OIL FLOAT SWITCH, which can really bounce w/ today's roads/ potholes? Good Luck
Old 04-04-2022, 09:10 AM   #9
trotline

A/C cuts off after few minutes on gen when driving.

That begs the question: Does A/C runs fine on gen when parked with engine off? If so the gen is not the problem.

Check charging system...

1. Check charge going to house battery when engine is running. Parked. Gen off for test. Test it at terminals of house battery.

2. Check charge going to house battery when engine off and gen on. Parked. It should be the same charge as when coach is on shore power and gen off. Again, test it at terminals of house battery.

3. As long as you are at it, check charge to house battery hooked to shore power.

Charge rate should be 13.6 v or a little more if battery is way low. The house battery must be able to hold a charge. If it is unable to do so reliability, get new battery. That could be the source of many electrical problems.
trotline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:28 PM   #10
Ed D

Check the oil level in generator it will shut off generator if sensor picks up oils not touching sensor. It’s possible the movement of coach with a oil level just at that sensor line may be shutting engine off. When it’s parked and running it holds steady at bottom part of sensor and keep running. Oil should be checked from time to time. Some times the smallest amount of oil is all that’s needed to be added to keep it running.
Ed D is offline   Reply With Quote