Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-11-2019, 02:14 PM   #1
Truck55

Default Speed odometer 04 sun voyager

My newest problem with my 04 sun voyager. The speedometer just quit working. Took it camping in Jan and it was working fine. Took it to gas it up on Friday and it just didn’t work.

Now I’m old and the old cars that I used to work on had a cable from dash to transmission.

Anyone ever had this problem? And does anyone know. If it still uses a cable or something else.? I know new cars with digital and analog speedometers probably don’t use just a plain old cable

Any help would be appreciated
Truck55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
RayChez1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck55 View Post
My newest problem with my 04 sun voyager. The speedometer just quit working. Took it camping in Jan and it was working fine. Took it to gas it up on Friday and it just didn’t work.

Now I’m old and the old cars that I used to work on had a cable from dash to transmission.

Anyone ever had this problem? And does anyone know. If it still uses a cable or something else.? I know new cars with digital and analog speedometers probably don’t use just a plain old cable

What chassis do you have? Is it diesel or gasoline motor home. Need more information to see if somebody might be familiar with that chassis. I am almost positive that they do not use a cable anymore.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:59 PM   #3
Truck55

It’s.a ford chassis. Also I just changed my coach battery. Not sure if that matters or not
Old 03-17-2019, 08:09 PM   #4
RayChez1

Not sure, but if it is electronic it probably is a vss sensor on the transmission that is bad.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 03-18-2019, 07:36 AM   #5
Yellowdog

I had this problem when I owned a Winnie. The very same thing happened. Nothing worked. I did some research on line and found that Ford has a recall on a small part that signals the cruise control, which is connected to the speedometer. They will take your money and tell you that its not covered if you go to a Ford dealership. Took mine to my trusted RV service place and they knew exactly what I was talking about. I would suggest that you look up recalls on Fords. You will find it with a bit of time. I'm sorry that I don't remember exactly where to look, it was years ago and I don't own that RV any longer. But I do remember I started there. Good luck.
Yellowdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:07 AM   #6
Restorium

It's either;
1. The fuse, usually 15 amp, down in the fuse box by the drivers feet.
2. Speed sensor on the rear differential.
Hopefully it's just the fuse. If it's the speed sensor then carefully remove it and take it down to the Ford dealer and get a replacement.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 03:37 PM   #7
J79 Engine

Quote:

If it is your entire dash that stopped working then it could mean you need it repaired or replaced. A few years ago there was historical posts stating SunVoyagers electronic dash would go blank and there was a company who replaces them or repairs them if possible. My dash was acting up but after I found my starter was shorting into the electrical system and we replaced the starter every else went back to normal. The dealer had no clue stating my batteries were bad. I replaced the batteries but 3 months later I had electrical fluctuations in the dash and difficult slow starting unless I used the by pass start switch. Knock on wood, we have not had a problem with our 2005 38 ft gas 3 slide, SunVoyager, work horse chasi.
J79 Engine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #8
Truck55

Everything on dash is working. Except speedometer
Old 04-25-2019, 06:15 AM   #9
Restorium

Quote:
Everything on dash is working. Except speedometer
ABS light on?
This might help;

Old 04-26-2019, 03:19 PM   #10
Truck55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
ABS light on?
This might help;

No lights on
Old 04-29-2019, 06:20 AM   #11
Restorium

Quote:
No lights on
Not the sensor, fuse then.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #12
Truck55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
Not the sensor, fuse then.
The fuses by drivers left foot are not marked. So have no idea where to start looking
Old 04-30-2019, 10:10 AM   #13
Restorium

Quote:
The fuses by drivers left foot are not marked. So have no idea where to start looking
I would stick my iPhone down by the box and take a picture. Put that on my computer and look closely. Easier than trying to get your head down there and see. Once I got stuck with my head down under the dash laying on my back and it was really hard to push myself back up. I can laugh now but it wasn't fun.
Old 04-30-2019, 12:49 PM   #14
RayChez1

Usually inside the cover of the box where the fuses are is a schematic of what all the fuses are for.
Aventa II Blue Ox
Old 07-09-2019, 12:41 PM   #15
Truck55

I’ll check fusses. Took a trip last and everything works odometer, trip odometer and all light lights
Old 04-05-2020, 04:15 PM   #16
TonySnow

Default Sun Voyager By Pass Start Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by J79 Engine View Post
If it is your entire dash that stopped working then it could mean you need it repaired or replaced. A few years ago there was historical posts stating SunVoyagers electronic dash would go blank and there was a company who replaces them or repairs them if possible. My dash was acting up but after I found my starter was shorting into the electrical system and we replaced the starter every else went back to normal. The dealer had no clue stating my batteries were bad. I replaced the batteries but 3 months later I had electrical fluctuations in the dash and difficult slow starting unless I used the by pass start switch. Knock on wood, we have not had a problem with our 2005 38 ft gas 3 slide, SunVoyager, work horse chasi.

I have a 2004 Sun Voyager. We made our first trip in February. I hope it was the first of many. It was a huge learning curve!! Can someone explain what a "By Pass Start Switch" is and where to find it (if I have one)? Thanks
TonySnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:25 PM   #17
Frutza

Look for a momentary rocker switch with a pic of a battery on it. You have house & coach batteries, the switch combines both sets of batteries usually for starting, either the main engine or the nanny.
Coach batteries run Rv related stuff, like anything that Gulfstream would have added, lights, genny, slide, fridge. Chassis usually is engine & it's related items. Steps & jacks can be interlocked & require a combination of both