Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-01-2020, 10:25 PM   #1
Chrisjan84

Smile 199DD Amerilite Mods/Tips appreciated

I have made a few modifications to our 2021 Amerilite 199DD. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions.

1. The gray/blackwater tube would not fit in the bumper, because they put the screws for the rear leveling jack stands up into the bumper. I removed their screws and put in some flat head bolts pointing down. Now I can fit the tube in the bumper. (See attachment)
2. Added small 24" Tv with wall mount that locks to the wall while traveling.
3. Added a tongue jack foot. I thought it was strange that it did not come with one...
4. Put a small screw in the storage compartment to hold our level. See picture
5. Added a Door storage hanger on the bathroom door.
6. added paper towel holder over the sink, but I am worried the mounting surface is going to be too weak...
7. waxed the exterior
8. Added heater element to the AC unit, worked well the other morning! Perfect for early morning, quick/free heat.
9. Put a 30 amp plug on our shed, with 10 gauge wire and 30 amp breaker
10. had to clean out the screen mesh before the water pump... How could this possibly be clogged with it being brand new??
11. Swept up tons of drill bit shavings, from all over, in hot water heater area, fridge area, under dinette seats, under queen bed.
12. Measured freshwater tank. based on dimensions Its only 23 Gallons..... the website lies . it says 36 gallons. I called gulf stream on this. they said its rated at 30.. 23 in the tank, 6 in the hot water heater and 1 in the lines. .... That is pushing the truth a little. The website still says 36!! Unless they magically figured out how to compress water.. j/k..
13. Checked the torque on the wheels, a few lug nuts were not quite torqued.
14. inflated the tires to 60 psi as the sticker on the side recommended.
15. Noticed on of the marker light covers was broken. probably hit it on a tree on a back road.
16. Tightened screws in the sliding window, and the diamond plate on the front. I assume the ones on the diamond plate will work themselves out again since a few seems to go nowhere.
17. The drawer under the dinette seat the track was not screwed in. had to find some new screws because they kept falling out.
18. Drained the freshwater tank and did the bleach treatment. I find the freshwater tank hard to drain. Seems like the tube that comes out of it also spins, have to use both hands.
19. I leave the screws out of the bottom bunk so I can have easy access to the water tank and pump.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200725_161442845.jpg (182.9 KB, 40 views)
Chrisjan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:41 PM   #2
Michigan Scott

Great modifications so far. Don't forget to get on the roof and check all the calking I've seen some pretty poor seal jobs from the factory.
Michigan Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:38 AM   #3
green_plaid

Welcome! Sounds like yours hasn't been too bad so far. Ive had all the same exact issues and then some. Essentially all electrical connectors from tongue to taillights have been stripped and replaced. Im doing alot of custom work too. Yet to do is pull out the rest of the windows and reseal. They will leak...just foam gasket that does nothing because the opening is way too large for the window and silicone around the outside. Gulfstream also just sent me a new cargo door too. Still love it but im not keeping mine more than 5 years...confidence in long term durability is a bit low at this point. But the again ive redone so much that it will probably be one of the finest examples on the used market. Also I always have wanted and always planned to convert a cargo trailer...just have to finish my house projects first. Have fun!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/firs...dd-496060.html
green_plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:19 PM   #4
Snowfam78

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_plaid View Post
Welcome! Sounds like yours hasn't been too bad so far. Ive had all the same exact issues and then some. Essentially all electrical connectors from tongue to taillights have been stripped and replaced. Im doing alot of custom work too. Yet to do is pull out the rest of the windows and reseal. They will leak...just foam gasket that does nothing because the opening is way too large for the window and silicone around the outside. Gulfstream also just sent me a new cargo door too. Still love it but im not keeping mine more than 5 years...confidence in long term durability is a bit low at this point. But the again ive redone so much that it will probably be one of the finest examples on the used market. Also I always have wanted and always planned to convert a cargo trailer...just have to finish my house projects first. Have fun!

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/firs...dd-496060.html

I went out today to pack some things, sat down at the dinette and felt a thump, mind you I’m 195, one of the cross brace staples let go. We’ve yet to even use it lol. So I’m looking at extra support across the seats and some metal 90 mounts to stiffen it a bit. Couple other odds and ends I’m not impressed with at all. The cable storage box is the worst execution I’ve ever seen. My cable was all tangled under it lol. It’s not seated against the outside wall so when you tuck it back in it goes under the little tub part and onto the floor smh.
Snowfam78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:24 PM   #5
Farmer Fran

I am by no means an expert... but I would not level off the bumper.
Farmer Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 11:41 AM   #6
NERoamer

I've considered us very lucky so far in that we've encountered very few problems with our Friendship 248BH (granted only owned for about 3mo w/ 2 trips under our belt). I see so many others having issues with their campers though it makes me nervous that there's something we haven't seen yet OR our time is coming down the line.

One thing I do need to address is that there was no ladder supplied for getting up to the top bunk. Is this common or did the dealership forget to give us one? So far my younger kid is able to climb up there but she is a little afraid she's going to fall. I'm thinking of making a ladder than can just be bolted to the bunks. Anyone else have to address this?

Beyond that in the office season I am planning to upgrade the tires and maybe an automatic tongue jack.
NERoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 07:55 PM   #7
deplorablemike

On my travel trailer I start by leveling the floor,then permanet mount my levels on front corner so i can level forever after with tire 'shims"and adjusting my tongue jack just to get it close,then use corner jacks to finalize.I used to level by freezer compartment,but that was a PITA and the reefer is not THAT critical as long as your close.Don't use the tongue because they bend and most will.
deplorablemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 10:44 PM   #8
JohnL

Hi, maybe someone can give me a heads up about the little receptacle on the outside mid way up on the front right side of my Amerilite, it looks like a charging port for a small battery charger or something.
I also want to thank everyone for all there tips.
JohnL
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:53 PM   #9
Bike Dr

A picture may help to determine what the port is you are referring to..I don't have that particular model but would be glad to help in any way I can, and welcome to the site!!! there are a lot of very knowledgeable people that will be sure to add there insight to help also.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!!! LIVING IT!!!!

2005 41'4 Atrium 8410 SE CAT
2017 20' weller's inclosed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 mini cooper
Bike Dr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2022, 07:51 PM   #10
JimJohnson

Default 12v port on front of 189DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
Hi, maybe someone can give me a heads up about the little receptacle on the outside mid way up on the front right side of my Amerilite, it looks like a charging port for a small battery charger or something.
I also want to thank everyone for all there tips.
JohnL
It is a 12v battery port - out or in. You can for example, hook up a 12v air compressor (out) or a 12v solar panel (in) ... Note that it goes straight to both the battery and the trailer's power center (12vdc side, not 120vac). if you hook up a solar panel it should include a charge controller.

Another hint, + and - are not labeled. It is easy to reverse the two if you plug in a 12v extension cord backwards. I recommend verifying which is which with a meter and then use a marker so you remember. I used a gold Sharpie so it stands out against the black.
JimJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
199dd, amerilite, ideas, modifications, tips