Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-07-2020, 10:01 AM   #1
BossHogg

Default Numerous electrical issues

2018 Class C with only 6,500 miles

Cruise control works only when coach battery is "on"
Seat belt warning light and alarm stays on unless coach battery is "on"
Cab radio clock does not maintain accurate time when vehicle engine is off

3 electrical outlets work while 3 others don't
shore power operates all appliances but lights will not turn on
awning, equalizer, and slides do not operate on shore power

truck generator does not charge coach battery

So I took my unit to the dealer and after a week was told today that my problems all seem to come from a tripped GFI??? Is this remotely possible?
BossHogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #2
Frutza

DUDE! you bought a lemon! Take it back! Just kidding, cooped up humor.
You need to understand your systems, the outlets could be caused by gci, lights, awning, slide out awning &eq will be 12 volt systems, either powered by battery converter or inverter charger. Cruise & seat belt light could just be the way there wired & not all coaches charge the house battery from engine.
What did the dealer fix?
Old 04-07-2020, 02:23 PM   #3
BossHogg

I bought this new last year and all of these problems just started the last time we used it. I don't believe they have actually fixed anything yet. But they say the lights are now working at least due to a popped GFI. The coach battery has been replaced recently because it would not hold charge. Now the new battery will not charge by generator or shore power. Since as you say these systems should be independent it's hard to understand why I am having so many issues at once. There has to be more to the problem than a tripped GFI. This is my third attempt with my dealer and if it isn't fixed correctly I am going to contact Gulf Stream for help.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:14 PM   #4
atreis

A GFI can be wired such that it protects both itself and all other outlets on the same circuit (or at least those downstream of it). This is usually how they're used in new construction for kitchens and bathrooms. It also makes sense to wire them that way in an RV, so yes, many of your troubles could have come from a single popped GFI.

https://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/...-diagrams.html
See the third diagram.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:31 PM   #5
BossHogg

Outlets I can understand. But how would that effect the awning, equalizer, and slides? But the microwave, TV, and water pump still work. There has to be more going on than a GFI?
Old 04-08-2020, 07:46 AM   #6
UAHaerospace

your response with the note that you 'recently changed the house batteries...' presents some ideas: you've probably TRIPPED the Main Buss Breaker from the batteries to your fuse panel, where many of these items get their power. Since the awnings, slides, and other items get their power from the HOUSE battery bank, it makes sense that you are not getting power to them now - check the Main Buss Breaker, sometimes a 50amp or 100amp 'small block' looking item, with battery cables going to/coming from it - if a little 'flag' yellow or red is poking out, it has been tripped. Push it back in and you should be set.

As for 120v power to outlets, yes, a Tripped GFCI outlet, usually located in the bathroom, controls many outlets on the same circuit, so you could have 'some' of your regular outlets working on Shore POwer, and yet have 'some' that are not - the ones that are not are on the same GFCI circuit as the bathroom's 'Master GFCI' outlet, which controls them - they are usually the outlets located outside, near the kitchen area, etc.
UAHaerospace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:17 AM   #7
BossHogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAHaerospace View Post
your response with the note that you 'recently changed the house batteries...' presents some ideas: you've probably TRIPPED the Main Buss Breaker from the batteries to your fuse panel, where many of these items get their power. Since the awnings, slides, and other items get their power from the HOUSE battery bank, it makes sense that you are not getting power to them now - check the Main Buss Breaker, sometimes a 50amp or 100amp 'small block' looking item, with battery cables going to/coming from it - if a little 'flag' yellow or red is poking out, it has been tripped. Push it back in and you should be set.

As for 120v power to outlets, yes, a Tripped GFCI outlet, usually located in the bathroom, controls many outlets on the same circuit, so you could have 'some' of your regular outlets working on Shore POwer, and yet have 'some' that are not - the ones that are not are on the same GFCI circuit as the bathroom's 'Master GFCI' outlet, which controls them - they are usually the outlets located outside, near the kitchen area, etc.
Thank you for the suggestion. I 'm waiting to see what the shop finds and fixes.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:25 PM   #8
atreis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossHogg View Post
Outlets I can understand. But how would that effect the awning, equalizer, and slides? But the microwave, TV, and water pump still work. There has to be more going on than a GFI?
RVs have two separate power systems - one is 120V AC, like one's house. The other is 12V DC. You appear to have issues with both, which makes it more confusing, but you should trackle them separately as they're really independent systems.

On the 120V side of things:

The microwave is very likely on a separate circuit because of how much power it draws, so wouldn't have been affected by the tripped GFI. The TV is possibly on a separate circuit too, although more out of convenience as it's likely mounted up high. (Perhaps the same circuit as the microwave if it's mounted nearby.) My small trailer has, from memory, 5 separate 120V circuits. (Converter/charger, Microwave, AC, kitchen outlet, all of the other outlets.)

On the 12V side of things:

Awning, lights, and slides shouldn't have been affected by the tripped GFI but do all have one thing in common: They're on the 12V side of the power system. (So is the water pump ..... which is interesting.) I'd start by checking the main 12V fuse and other 12V fuses in the power center, and the inline fuse between the batteries and the power center. Also check the state of charge of the batteries. If the converter/charger isn't working right, they could simply be too low to power those things.
Old 04-20-2020, 09:02 AM   #9
Bull Treker

Elec issues? FYI. Bought new 6237 Conquest 2019. Drove it home all of 22 miles. Plugged it in. Next day very strong burning/hot odor, very. Couldn't find a problem. Next day same but stronger went inside, the converter running 90mph plus you could barely breathe fumes. Truck also dead. Pulled plug called owner of rv biz told them to come pick the thing up. They couldn't believe it. Jumped and left. Grass under house battery burned out with acid( sealed battery??
When the walk thru done I smelled same odor but less. Service tech figured it was asphalt drive..? Right. I said no..its hot wiring. Dealer admitted GS knew they had wiring problems with the ?radio?. Short story, we got a new unit. I won't go into the fiasco with the current one. Our first Gulf Stream will be our last GS. We have 5 yr warranty so we will keep it for two. Thought you might want to know...
Bull Treker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:43 AM   #10
[email protected]

Quote:

So I took my unit to the dealer and after a week was told today that my problems all seem to come from a tripped GFI??? Is this remotely possible?
Please tell me where the 2005 BT Cruiser windshield wiper fuse is located. Or refer me to someone. Wipers do not work, motor does not run, assume a bad fuse. Thanks for your help.
donclark3711@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:48 AM   #11
[email protected]

Quote:

GFI is Ground Fault Isolate. Usually used on kitchen sink or outlets subject to water. Doesn't sound like the source of your problem.
donclark3711@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote