Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class B+
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-10-2022, 03:44 PM   #1
Bill Bateman

Default What defines 'level'?

2019 5230 .. When leveling for overnight or longer I always use the floor of the freezer as the reference point in my Dometic 6cf fridge. Having done this after putting the slide out (drivers side on 5230) I find the coach to be about a 1" leveling block low on the drivers side while the fridge/freezer is perfectly level. Do others find this to be the case with their rigs?
Bill Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 05:57 PM   #2
hossross

I would suggest you use a "fixed" part of the coach body as a point to determine level. This point should provide accurate information for both fore-aft and side to side. Doesn't have to be, but easier to go to one point and get information on both. The slides, being moveable by their design are not repeatable nor a good suragent point to determine level. Somewhere around the stove is a good point to look for a surface to measure. Like bottom of cabinets, if you can measure both side to side and fore aft. The paracticle part of this is how do you make to adjustments to level, I assume you don't have jacks, so how level is level by doing wheel block lifting? I doubt that you are getting much better than an inch in both directions, unless your spending a lot of time interating to level. So how level do are you comfortable with. Does the grease in the fry pan uniformly need to cover the pan surface. That would be a practical goal, but remember the stove probably has its own levelers at each leg. So the point is find a solid fixed point on the coach body, to determine measure degree of level, and then in practice how level are you comfortable with and how much time do you want to spend. I've never had an auto leveling system, but you can see why they are convenient, maybe some one who has one on a large coach and tell us the degree of level they typically achieve. it actual level minus indicated level. Pre digital world, thinks like clocks, tire pressure gauges, levels, etc were best described by Confucius "Man who has 1 clock knows what time it is, man who has 2 clocks, NEVER SURE." I think that wisdon still accurately Levels and tire pressure gauges. Digital gives you a very precise number, doesn't mean it is accurate.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 09:06 PM   #3
NavyLCDR

When the can of beer stops rolling on the floor.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:00 PM   #4
Bill Bateman

Default thanks but ...

i am very familiar and comfortable with leveling for comfort ,,, however, all 4 of my previous rigs had level fridges when the rest of the rig was level.
As it stands i am leveling for the fridge and living with a slightly off level (side to side) rig.
I was just asking if others had noted this situation in any of their rigs.
Thanks for your thoughtful responses...
Bill Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2022, 07:52 PM   #5
NavyLCDR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bateman View Post
i am very familiar and comfortable with leveling for comfort ,,, however, all 4 of my previous rigs had level fridges when the rest of the rig was level.
As it stands i am leveling for the fridge and living with a slightly off level (side to side) rig.
I was just asking if others had noted this situation in any of their rigs.
Thanks for your thoughtful responses...
I've never checked anything other than the main floor. My fridge is in the slideout so it is very possible it is not level with the rest of the trailer, but it has never caused an issue. I have a LevelMate Pro and it is calibrated for level with the slideout extended. When I am setting up, I park with passenger side showing 1" low. After I extend the slide (on the driver's side), I usually end up within 1/4" of level - but that is calibrated to the main floor being level, not the slide nor the fridge in the slide.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 01:27 PM   #6
Chuck v

My coach had a residential refrigerator so level was not a factor for its operation, as would be the case for a gas absorption fridge like a Norcold or Dometic. However, even these are not that susceptible to minor deviations from vertical. Here is a quote from another source:
How unlevel can an RV refrigerator be?

Most recreational refrigerators will work properly as long as they are within 2 degrees of level side to side and 4 degrees of level front to back. More modern models of RV fridges are more forgiving, allowing for proper operation within 3 degrees of level side to side and 6 degrees of level front to back.

A lot of RV owners are a 'half-bubble off of plumb" about questions like this, even though their rigs are not. Try to relax and enjoy camping for the pleasurable outings it provides.

The deviation that amounts to 4 degrees should be quite noticeable on most any RV, so if you think it is almost level, you are probably right...

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg level indication for refrigerator function..jpg (55.1 KB, 3 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 01:53 PM   #7
hossross

Now we've found a practicle test to determine level and it came from a ship guy who has probably professionally never had his feet on something level, but always changing too thanks for the clever "test"
Old 12-13-2022, 02:24 PM   #8
hossross

hey Chuck good to see you and Bike DR are still providing accurate advise

Just a comment on your level guage, gees what are you running a rollover test? try to find one that the total scale & increment is appropriate to the application. And the direction of measurement is also sensitive to comfort meaning that if the coach is rolled 3 degrees, that means the opposite tire is almost 4 inches lower, and if your off 3 degrees pitched then the difference is the wheel base (in) x sin (3)= ___lnches or your going to have to be a hockey goalie to catch those beer cans going by. Point is, using your refg as a point of reference ( and I like that just for the convenience of the door opening and closing as expected, ie not opening up hill or slamming shut) the coach pitch is more important than roll. In your case it is the distance between jacks measured in inches.
Old 12-13-2022, 02:50 PM   #9
Chuck v

The illustrated level gauge was for instructive purposes, and yes -- that much tilt will be very obvious to anyone and why I closed with "if you thing is is almost level, you are probably right"

Many campers and small trailers come with a bubble gauge that is adequate for verifying the appliance is level enough to work reliably. This Camco 25573 level is a good example, and keeping the bubble in the middle circle or better is adequate leveling for function -- for "comfort" your sensibilities may be more acute.

For my own coach, making it level enough for no water to remain standing in the corners of any sink or shower was the practical limit, but getting better than that was always possible. The coach had a 288 inch wheelbase, so some sites were such that perfect leveling was not in the range of the jacks without additional blocking... A 3 degree tilt over that wheelbase length is a bit more than 15 inches, so you would see and feel it for sure. Suffice it to say that any "comfortable" amount of leveling will result in an environment that is receptive to the operation of a gas-absorption cycle refrigerator. I hope this sufficiently addresses the OP's original question...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 09:30 PM   #10
hossross

Chuck I was replying trying to add a little humor. You responded very professionally and seriously. I always read carefully all your electrical responses as I usually learn something