Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-28-2021, 08:25 PM   #1
USA1

Default TV help please

I see a similar thread but not the answers I was looking for. First off I find it odd that Gulfstream does not keep up with the technology. We have a red yellow and white plug for hooking the TV into the DVD player of the radio. We go out and buy a brand new smart television and there are no plugs to accommodate those red yellow and white cables. It appears there is no way to make the DVD player work with a new television. There is no HDMI connection on the factory radio / DVD player. Is there any way to overcome this? I guess other than putting an old outdated television in the camper. It is disappointing to buy a brand new camper thinking that things should be up-to-date and find out that they are not.
USA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:08 AM   #2
Izzy007

Izzy from Canada, I had the same problem and purchased the following and it works great.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B06...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Izzy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:43 AM   #3
Chuck v

Izzy,

Your link shows the conversion of an HDMI output from a source to a legacy composite video and analog stereo output suitable for an older TV/monitor.

I believe that USA1 needs the opposite conversion -- taking the legacy output of the DVD player and making it suitable for a modern TV that has only HDMI inputs. When I updated the electronics in my 2007 Tour Master T40c, I replaced the Sony DVD player/surround unit with a newer Blu-Ray combo Sony model of similar footprint that had HDMI outputs. This did not help the bedroom TV since the chassis wiring in the coach is all composite and not digital, so a small separate HDMI capable player back there solved that issue. See attached image.

If you really need a composite --> HDMI conversion gadget, they are available but are limited to 1080P resolution (not the 4K of true Bu-ray...) Here is a typical one:

https://www.wiredco.com/HDMI-to-Comp...midisplay1.htm

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1561.JPG (724.5 KB, 8 views)

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:16 PM   #4
USA1

I ordered one. Thanks to both of you.
USA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 10:43 AM   #5
KPMullen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
Izzy,

Your link shows the conversion of an HDMI output from a source to a legacy composite video and analog stereo output suitable for an older TV/monitor.

I believe that USA1 needs the opposite conversion -- taking the legacy output of the DVD player and making it suitable for a modern TV that has only HDMI inputs. When I updated the electronics in my 2007 Tour Master T40c, I replaced the Sony DVD player/surround unit with a newer Blu-Ray combo Sony model of similar footprint that had HDMI outputs. This did not help the bedroom TV since the chassis wiring in the coach is all composite and not digital, so a small separate HDMI capable player back there solved that issue. See attached image.

If you really need a composite --> HDMI conversion gadget, they are available but are limited to 1080P resolution (not the 4K of true Bu-ray...) Here is a typical one:

https://www.wiredco.com/HDMI-to-Comp...midisplay1.htm

Chuck
Izzy,

What Sony unit did you purchase? I'm in the same boat... literally and figuratively. 2007 Tour Master T40C

Kevin
KPMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:15 AM   #6
Chuck v

Kevin,

I am the one that upgraded my Sony player to DVD and HDMI. The unit is sold as a "home theater in a box" grouping and I just did not use the speakers (used the ones already installed in the coach...)

The Sony model number is BDVE3100 and you can find some information here:
https://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDVE3100.../dp/B00BI22U3O

Chuck

Old 05-09-2021, 11:18 AM   #7
KPMullen

My bad, Chuck

Thanks!

Kevin
Old 05-12-2021, 02:37 PM   #8
KPMullen

Chuck,

You wouldn't happen to have any documentation for the AV Center in the T40C would you? Absent the original Sony DVD player/surround sound unit I'm at a loss as to what connections need to go where.

Kevin
Old 05-12-2021, 03:14 PM   #9
Chuck v

Kevin,

Here is a diagram that shows what most coaches of this ere had in the way of connections...sorry it is not very specific to the Tour Master, but should apply.

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gulfstream audio and video.jpg (187.5 KB, 18 views)

Old 05-12-2021, 04:16 PM   #10
KPMullen

Thanks

It gives me a starting point.

Kevin
Old 06-14-2021, 04:08 PM   #11
KPMullen

Default Tourmaster T40C AV schematics

Chuck,

I got these from Gulf Stream last week. 2007 T40C according to my contact there.

Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AV System Drawings.pdf (207.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 06-14-2021, 05:46 PM   #12
Chuck v

Excellent Kevin !! I have saved it to my files...thanks.

Chuck

Old 02-01-2022, 04:11 PM   #13
Silversliver

There is another option for TV streaming. If your TV's are all smart TV's, then you could put a WIFI setup with a router and (Cable modem/satellite receiver etc., in and then just route the Cable from the shore power, or from your local antennae or satellite system via WIFI to all your TV's. This would use the capabilities built into your
Smart" tv to use the WIFI to display your TV Content. There is also a component called "Air TV" that hooks into your router and a cheap HD antennae which will then broadcast local "over the air" channels to all your tv's via WIFI. Having your own router in your bus would seem like an absolute need, because then you can use the provided WIFI where you are parked, but still be able to have the security that you SHOULD be concerned about.

It would be worth the cost of a router for just the security, but it would add huge capability for all your gadgets and TV content even if you just want to be able to watch local TV when you arrive at a location. I use SLING so the AIR TV situation brings it all together....

Sure beats the heck out of trying to re-wire or hide wires!

By the way, with a WIFI set-up you are not required to show the same thing on all of the TV's... Let's get real, your grandkids will get tired of just watching re-runs of "Going RVing" or "GUNSMOKE" lol
Silversliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:11 PM   #14
Bike Dr

Hi I'm new here hop I'm not speaking out of line, but we had the exact same problem!!! Finally I just knuckled down and studied the coach. In doing so figured out a way to remove minimal trim to snake hdmi ethernet and digital optical through the coach and now new electronics and what a new world! It can be done if you put your mind to it! I hope this helped, the wifi is OK if you always have service! Now we have all the options available today and wifi option also!
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 10:32 AM   #15
Chuck v

Bike Dr.

Using the wireless distribution described above is also useful to get full resolution content to other sets in/on the coach without adding physical cables -- even if you are not in a developed RV park and have just satellite and/or Blue-ray player stuff to send around.

It is great that you managed to add cables for HDMI, ethernet and even fiber in your coach -- do you have pictures of how you did that?

More than a decade ago I worked for a company that designed some of the early video processing systems to allow phone companies to distribute multichannel video over DSL, and we built a coach to travel around and demonstrate this to the various telecom companies. This coach had miles of fiber, CAT 5/6 and other connectivity inside. Here is a picture...it was a 45 foot Prevost. The full graphics body wrap was a great ad placement... That is a full 1.2 meter dish pulling down primary C and Ku band providers, not the consumer mixes from DTV and Echostar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sales demo coach.jpg (303.1 KB, 1 views)

Old 02-06-2022, 11:11 AM   #16
Bike Dr

First to chuck! Prevost is an amazing coach! I almost bought one before I found our Atrium! The prevost was a beautiful well made, it was all mirror stainless on the outside. But no slides and limited room it was and older model but in perfect condition, but in the end it needed to be updated also do to its age,
Ok I will get you some pics as to how I got the new wires through the bus. Please bare with me itbeen raining and cold as ----, my entertainment center is mid way of our bus on the left ( drivers side) along the top ceiling and wall there is a wide piece of trim to remove from the entertainment to the front drivers cabinet above, inside the back there is another small piece of trim to remove, at this point you are all but to the back of the front TV area. This process only does the main TV! We have one in the bedroom and another outside! So I just basically explained the front tv hook up only so far! I'm not sure what model rv you have.if you could let me know that may help me help you!! I am referring to mi e and you may have a completely different layout in your rv! Hope this helps for starters ill check back with more Info!!
Old 02-06-2022, 11:47 AM   #17
Chuck v

Bike Dr,

I no longer have my 2007 Tour Master T40C that shows in my signature line...but its entertainment center was in the front centered above the windshield. This was immediately adjacent to the large front TV that is essentially up over the entry steps. so running HDMI and other lines between those two locations was not at all difficult.

The other three TV locations in this factory configuration were 1) over the right side couch opposite the long slide, 2) in the bedroom over the vanity and in that slide, and 3) outside in the bay on the curb side. I did not continue to use the side coach locations when I upgraded the front and bedroom TVs to full 4K...

Yes the Prevost coaches are really fine pieces of machinery on which several custom builders base their highest end RV conversions. Ours was built by Featherlite in their Vantare facility in Florida.

Chuck

Old 02-06-2022, 01:29 PM   #18
Bike Dr

Hey Chuck sorry to hear you don't have your tourmaster, you were lucky to have the entertainment in the front with the tv, I never seem to be that guy, so I did wire the coach to be able to have additional options throughout the whole coach, and with adding the upgraded TV with wifi also gives all the wonderful option you mentioned, but quickly back to the prevost arnt they just amazing coaches. I had the opportunity to work o one and put new fuel tanks in at 300 gallons total.. and at that point have to reinstall all entertainment and deep freezer, the owner had the rear and updated and now this thing will run 100mph its impressive, the new prevost bosts a nice price at 2.2 million..quite a bit out of my league... thats why i did my own upgrades..do you have a prevost now? If so that's awsome and hope to hear more about it!
Old 02-06-2022, 01:55 PM   #19
Chuck v

No coach at all now -- retired and due to health issues am not driving 30,000 to 50,000 pound vehicles anymore.

That VTC coach project based on the Prevost was back in 2001, and we had a lot of fun specifying, designing and implementing the modifications to achieve a full video head end in a vehicle we could take to customer's premises and to trade shows.

Here are some pictures of it getting built -- the equipment racks were set up to pull out into the aisles to access the rear cabling, etc. I modified a set of self-centering guide pins to keep the racks locked in place without vibration when under way. The dish had a flux gate compass and an early GPS system so the various satellites could be found easily once parked...even our drivers and sales folks could do it. The whole point of this coach was to have easily relocatable demonstrations of our high tech gear without dedicating much of my engineering department to its support. The one shot is of me back then in the Florida facility of the Featherlite folks... The last two images are of the 'salon' at the rear of the coach that served as a conference room and a demo area -- three simultaneously video programs over DSL, even a projector for presentations.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0025.JPG (315.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg MVC-367F.JPG (213.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0033.JPG (300.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0027.JPG (314.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0028.JPG (314.0 KB, 4 views)

Old 02-06-2022, 02:06 PM   #20
Chuck v

Just another comment...that Prevost had a very large generator and inverter system. The diesel generator was in a well designed sound baffling box that used foamed lead for acoustic isolation, and the 12 KW inverters were able to run the demo for hours without any engine noise at all.

I don't recall all the particulars, but the coach main engine was a Detroit diesel of about 525 to 550 HP...plenty adequate for our needs.

Chuck