Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
[email protected]

Send a message via AIM to kenjohnston83@gmail.com
Default How do I add sanitizer to fresh water tank?

Hi folks. I've recently purchased a 2000 Gulfstream Tourmaster. I'm wanting to add a sanitizer such as a mild water/bleach solution to my fresh water tank, let it sit for a day or so, and then drain and top up with fresh water. However, the only way I know of to add water to the fresh water tank is via the pressure water filler that has a female hose receptacle connection. Clearly, I can't pour a sanitizer solution upstream into that fitting, so how would I go about achieving adding a sanitizer to freshen the tank? I don't know of any gravity fill location for the tank or, for that matter, where the tank is located. Pathetic, ay?
While I have your attention, is there a recommendation for a better sanitizer than bleach, and how often would you folks go about sanitizing fresh water tanks? Thanx for any suggestions.
kenjohnston83@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:16 AM   #2
Restorium

You could pour a small amount of bleach in a hose before you hook it up.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:11 AM   #3
bbybee

I use a funnel at the fill port and just pour it in. Careful of bleach can eat at your O-rings, I use white vinegar. Lots of how to videos on U-Tube.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:16 AM   #4
[email protected]

That's a smart idea. Thankyou!
Old 07-27-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
[email protected]

Thanx for your comments. I hadn't contemplated vinegar. Does it have the same effect on micro-organisms as bleach? Neither had I contemplated the effect of the bleach on o-rings, so I'll so some reading about that. Regarding the funnel at the fill port, the only way I know of to fill the fresh water tank is via a female coupler connected to a pipe that faces down, much like the water tap at a campground. There may be another 'fill port' about which I'm not familiar. The liquid has to go up and not down into my fitting.
Old 07-27-2019, 11:46 AM   #6
bbybee

Vinegar vs Bleach: If your fresh tank is so dirty you need to kill stuff --

Regarding bleach working as well as vinegar, vinegar is NOT as effective as bleach and does NOT kill as many germs. Vinegar does kill some things but it is only 90% effective against bacteria and 80%-83% effective against viruses and mold/mildew. Bleach kills 99.9% of bacteria, viruses and mold/mildew.

We do a vinegar cleaning about every 4 months and have never had a problem. BUT If your fresh tank is so dirty you need to kill stuff go with the bleach and rinse the heck out of it. I mean no smell of bleach when you are done.

I am not familiar with your model and I bet someone on here is and they can help about the fresh water fill tube. All my rvs have had a spot, usually behind a locking door panel, that you can just put your water hose in to the filler tube and fill the tank. And that is where we use the funnel to add stuff to the fresh water tank.

Hope this helps and good luck...
Old 07-27-2019, 12:22 PM   #7
[email protected]

It does help a lot. Thanx muchly!!
Old 08-04-2019, 02:13 PM   #8
stargazer66

Ken...for my 2002 Gulf Stream Friendship I attach my water hose to the fresh water fill and using gravity (end of hose higher that the fresh water fill) pour 8 - 10 ounces of bleach into the hose. Then attach the water hose to potable water I fill my fresh water 75 gallon capacity tank with about 60 gallons. Afterwords, I drive my motor home for a few miles, open each faucet for a couple minutes to treat the water lines, and park it overnight or longer to let the bleach mixture do its job. Then drain the fresh water tank and run a full 75 gallons through the tank to rinse. I do this procedure once every year.
Vietnam Veteran; 3/506 INF, 101st ABN
stargazer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:28 AM   #9
Tered0712

I would add bleach to water in a five gallon bucket then use a sump pump submerged into bucket. Most have a hose attached to pump and can thread onto your intake for water on your motorhome. I winterize the same way.
Tered0712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 01:25 PM   #10
Vjswhippet

I put a 1/4 cup of bleach in a full tank... don't know if that's enough but it smells better .
I had more trouble with the hot water tank and recently learned out to sanitize it...
Vjswhippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:17 PM   #11
RayChez1

I have a 100 gallon tank and if you want to add a cup of bleach, I just add it into the water hose, connect it and pump it in by adding water from the faucet. I take it for a short drive so it can slush around and then dump the water. Usually I will dump it because of the smell of the bleach. But a small amount won't hurt you.
Aventa II Blue Ox
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:06 PM   #12
Sundancer268

On my GS Scenic Cruiser I use the gravity fill on the side of the coach, though I am sure I could add a cup of leach to the 50' empty water hose and then push that bleach into the tank with the potable water system. My system is supposedly 60 gallons though when I physically measured the tank and did the volume calculations, I came up with about 45 gallons. I still treat for 60 gallons.
Air Force One Brake System
Sundancer268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 02:38 AM   #13
Henry111

To effectively sanitize your RV tank requires a bleach solution. You must add ¼ cup of bleach for every 16 gallons of water in your RV's fresh water tank. This measure is equivalent to one ounce of bleach per eight gallons.
Henry111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 06:29 AM   #14
RabbitStream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry111 View Post
To effectively sanitize your RV tank requires a bleach solution. You must add ¼ cup of bleach for every 16 gallons of water in your RV's fresh water tank. This measure is equivalent to one ounce of bleach per eight gallons.

** it seems a lot of bleach to put on the water tank as my Tourmaster have 100 gallons capacity that give 6 cup and 1/4.... **...???
RabbitStream is offline   Reply With Quote