Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 02-27-2022, 12:17 PM   #1
Wolfpack

Question Yellowstone Engine Cover Removal

How is the interior engine cover removed on a 2008 Class A Yellowstone (8359)? The smog check technician wanted it removed for inspection. The carpet seems to be glued down all around it and there are no visible latches or bolts. I'm reluctant to peel the carpet seam apart, fearing it will never go back together again. How does it come off?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cover1.jpg (501.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Cover2.jpg (293.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Cover3.jpg (514.2 KB, 3 views)
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
bmojmhs

My doghouse is held down by 5 screws . If you lift the edge of the carpet and feel along the edge of the doghouse you should find the screw heads. The carpet edge covers them up.
I have 2 screws against the firewall, along the top (one on either side), 2 screws on the side of the doghouse (one on either side) close to the room end of the doghouse and one on the end close to the middle. They are just 1 x #8 wood screws.

Take the screws out and it should lift off with no problem (?). Be prepared as you may have more than 5 screws, you just need to find them all.

Check your doghouse and to see what it is made from. Mine cracked and when I researched it, I was lead to believe they were all made from fibreglass. I was prepared to fibreglass repair it but, when I took it off, it is made from plastic which you can not use fibreglass on. So I came up with another solution to fix it.
bmojmhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 11:41 AM   #3
Wolfpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmojmhs View Post
My doghouse is held down by 5 screws . If you lift the edge of the carpet and feel along the edge of the doghouse you should find the screw heads. The carpet edge covers them up.
I have 2 screws against the firewall, along the top (one on either side), 2 screws on the side of the doghouse (one on either side) close to the room end of the doghouse and one on the end close to the middle. They are just 1 x #8 wood screws.

Take the screws out and it should lift off with no problem (?). Be prepared as you may have more than 5 screws, you just need to find them all.

Check your doghouse and to see what it is made from. Mine cracked and when I researched it, I was lead to believe they were all made from fibreglass. I was prepared to fibreglass repair it but, when I took it off, it is made from plastic which you can not use fibreglass on. So I came up with another solution to fix it.
Thanks for that info bmojmhs! Did you glue the carpet back down after you re-installed it? If so, what adhesive did you use?
Old 03-06-2022, 01:14 PM   #4
bmojmhs

You only have to lift up the edge of the carpet. The edge of the carpet is loose and is easy to lift up.

I have never taken the carpet off the doghouse.
Old 03-06-2022, 03:37 PM   #5
Wolfpack

10-4. Right, I won't be removing the carpet from the cover - just the edges to get to the screws. My edges are glued down all around it. Therein is my concern, because they're glued to the floor carpet. I suppose that being glued in place around the edges all these years it will lay back down - I'm just worried it won't. Maybe too worried. You can see in one pic where I've lifted one corner and it hasn't fully laid back down like the rest. Thanks for the info - I now know it is screwed in place. On another moho we had it was latched in place. Easy to pop it on and off. Thanks again.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:52 AM   #6
bmojmhs

Keep in mind, if you lift up the edge of the carpet, you can always staple the edge of the carpet down. It seems strange that they would have glued the doghouse carpet to the floor carpet.

You can always feel around the edge of the carpet as they may have run the screws through the carpet and the pile hides the screw heads.