Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-09-2021, 02:37 PM   #1
PaddlePAT

Default How tight should sway be on an Eaz-lift R3 hitch?

I have an Eaz-lift R3 weight distribution hitch for my 19RBS and Honda Pilot tow vehicle. Regarding tightening the sway controller, the manual says "as needed"...which basically tells me nothing as far as a starting point.

The old blade-type sway bar I had on my pop-up said to thread the adjustment handle in until it bottomed out, then tighten 1/4 turn more.

Anyone with experience with the R3 than can help me out?

Thanks!
PaddlePAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 02:07 PM   #2
Smithcd46

I have an Insignia 24” for my 19erd vintage. Fits just right. Smart TVs with a good picture and decent sound quality.
Smithcd46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 09:46 AM   #3
Pete&Brenda

You're right, the manual doesn't offer much guidance. I have an Enlighten 20RD that I'm towing with a Dodge Ram 2500 and the Recurve R3 distribution hitch. The trailer doesn't seem to affect the truck much as it is a relatively light load. But, when we first bought the camper, they had it all hooked up at the dealership. Then, I had to maneuver out of the parking lot, down a steep driveway and make a hard right turn onto the street. Popped the drivers side bar out of the hitch after pushing back the trailer connection and bending the pin in the bar. Probably adjusted too tight! Since then I've been keeping it just snug and if I'm backing, I back off the adjustment to nothing. Just like with the old sway control.... I do like putting the bars in from the top and the clearance under the hitch. Not much help but here's a link to some videos on the hitch: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ribution+hitch
Pete&Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 01:07 PM   #4
Ldubs

I don't have your brand hitch, but your comment prompted me to look at my sway bar instruction manual.

Mine's instructions say to tighten it down "firmly" then road test and adjust as needed.

Fortunately when we picked up the TT, the guy in the shop showed us the tension to use. I'm not sure how I would have determined the needed tension just from the written instructions.
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote