Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-26-2021, 09:29 AM   #1
savery

Default Roof corner sealer

My 288ISL has a black colored,gum like,pliable material in the corners-presumably to seal the rain gutter corners. I'm not sure what this material is. Any help?
savery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:17 AM   #2
WJL3

Quote:
Originally Posted by savery View Post
My 288ISL has a black colored,gum like,pliable material in the corners-presumably to seal the rain gutter corners. I'm not sure what this material is. Any help?
Possibly butyl
WJL3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 04:39 PM   #3
RY469

Butyl tape is typically used between the item (rain gutter end caps) and the unit to seal screw hole, etc. Sealing vertical items (gaps and edges) you'll find silicone (DOW) products. Roof top, flat surfaces use (DICOR) self leveling type lap sealants. The roof should NEVER get silicone products . . . DICOR (with the picture of the bald guy on it) is the best thing for roof. So in answer to your question, it's probably black silicone, or could be butyl squeeze out. Hope this helps?
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2022, 09:25 AM   #4
Henry111

We bought an enormous package of roof sealants. In freezing Maryland weather, we learned we couldn't keep the hoses within the van. We heated the putty bottles ahead of the radiators and took them out into the van to complete. some bottles froze hard. We placed an excellent hot container of the predicament in large ziplock bags to loosen the sealant. It worked. Then we found that a ziplock bag had a hole, a mastic tube was damaged because of a faulty ziplock bag. We decide to cut the pipes with the blades in warmer temperatures to finish the projects with the roof sealant.
Henry111 is offline   Reply With Quote