Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-03-2022, 08:01 PM   #1
Seadog63

Default Does rv’ing feel like work?

After 40 years of coast to coast semi truck driving and camping in our Jayco pop up with ac I retired and bought a gulf stream conquest 6320, love the motor home but it just seems like it’s a job out there and not much fun anymore, am I missing something here? Surely many of you full time it and some part time a lot so there has to be some sentiment.
Seadog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2022, 05:48 PM   #2
Oldflyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog63 View Post
After 40 years of coast to coast semi truck driving and camping in our Jayco pop up with ac I retired and bought a gulf stream conquest 6320, love the motor home but it just seems like it’s a job out there and not much fun anymore, am I missing something here? Surely many of you full time it and some part time a lot so there has to be some sentiment.
Hi Seadog,

I to have a Conquest 6320. Not sure what you call a job but there are tings that ha ve to be done to set up and break down. No matter what RV you have.
The Class C has to be easier than a pop-up. Not sure if you have auto-level or not but that helps tons! Don't know if that is standard on the 6320 or not.

All I can say is to not be in hurry, have a system to setting up and breaking down.

I do this so that 1) I don't back track on doing things and 2) to be in the habit of doing the same ting every time. I flew for 50 years military and commercial and when you do things the same every time. if you forget something, it just "doesn't feel right". Doing check list at the same time etc. An alarm goes off in your head.
Having things easy accessible and close to where you need them helps.
Hopefully you will not find it to much of a job and quit.
Happy camping!!
2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Haltom City, TX
Oldflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 06:40 PM   #3
Seadog63

Thanks oldflyboy, I have a good system for setting up and breaking down but after some thought I figured out what was wrong. We was moving from one campground to the next everyday, crazy. And running 350 to 400 miles a day! Going forward no more. Slow way down and stay where we like for abit and relax, thought I was driving the big rig again. As for my 6320 I have auto levelers as well and they beep as well, I just hit the all retract on the panel even tho they are and shut the power off, all’s we’ll. As for the weight of mine completely empty I’m at 14,500 lbs. I’ve got the new 7.3 Ford v8, I average out between 7 to 8 mpg. The official length of it is 33’8”, but bumper to bumper is 34’ exactly. Height is 11’5”. As for towing, I tow dolly a mercury Montego, not much tho. I’m debating about whether it can be towed on all fours and if it can what it’ll cost. It’s a bedroom slide and living room slide as well. 50 gallon fuel tank, wish it was bigger. Next trip will probably be this spring out to Texas and see what we can see.
Seadog63 is offline   Reply With Quote