Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-31-2021, 01:15 PM   #1
Tonyf

Default SN Shocks

Hello again, it appears that Road King is out of business and the shocks for the Supernova's no longer available. Monroe and Gaberial both have shocks for the SN, anyone have experience with these? or can recommend some other brand for the SN? Thanks.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:41 AM   #2
pwerwagn

You can still get road kings directly thru king shocks. They are just 2.5" or 3" king emulsion shocks, and they have the valving spec on hand if you call them.

--Jeff
Old 01-20-2022, 05:43 PM   #3
Tonyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwerwagn View Post
You can still get road kings directly thru king shocks. They are just 2.5" or 3" king emulsion shocks, and they have the valving spec on hand if you call them.

--Jeff
Perfect, thanks. Will call them once I’m ready to do the shocks, my coach already has Monroe shocks upfront, but nothing in the back.

I added the Timbren rear suspension enhancers, part number RES001 for future reference . They are mainly rubber springs. Had to raise the MH so the suspension hung free, remove the stock bump stops, drill four holes on each side and install the Timbrems. Back end raised ~1.25 inches, haven’t drove it yet with the Trimbrens but will soon. They have a 8600 lb load capacity. Did not want air bags, such as airlift, as it’s more to break and fool with. Also was not spending all that cash for an aftermarket air ride retrofit.

Still gathering parts to add the shocks, should have everything next month.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:32 AM   #4
pwerwagn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyf View Post
Perfect, thanks. Will call them once I’m ready to do the shocks, my coach already has Monroe shocks upfront, but nothing in the back.

I added the Timbren rear suspension enhancers, part number RES001 for future reference . They are mainly rubber springs. Had to raise the MH so the suspension hung free, remove the stock bump stops, drill four holes on each side and install the Timbrems. Back end raised ~1.25 inches, haven’t drove it yet with the Trimbrens but will soon. They have a 8600 lb load capacity. Did not want air bags, such as airlift, as it’s more to break and fool with. Also was not spending all that cash for an aftermarket air ride retrofit.

Still gathering parts to add the shocks, should have everything next month.
Im curious how you like the Timbrens, report back when you drive it. Mine has rubber cushioned shackle hangers so the ride is great, but I need to lift the rear a touch when Im towing heavy. I havent had great luck with Timbrens on my trucks, and did air bags on my last Super C. This one is already way better than the Kodiak chassis was, so I contemplating replacing those IH bump stops with Sumo Springs version of the timbren.

When you talk to King, they should offer both a 2.5" version and a 3" diameter version (at one time they did). The 3" version is pricey, but definitely adds control. We run Kings on our race trucks, and it is amazing how much more control the larger piston gives us (one of the trucks had 4" diameter King Kong 5 tube bypasses...they are amazing).

Having said that, I have the 2.5" version on my supernova and they work great too.

--Jeff
Old 02-14-2022, 11:45 AM   #5
Tonyf

Quote:
Im curious how you like the Timbrens, report back when you drive it. Mine has rubber cushioned shackle hangers so the ride is great, but I need to lift the rear a touch when Im towing heavy. I havent had great luck with Timbrens on my trucks, and did air bags on my last Super C. This one is already way better than the Kodiak chassis was, so I contemplating replacing those IH bump stops with Sumo Springs version of the timbren….
Jeff you are talking about the Sulastic shackles I assume. Been looking at them but can’t find a lot of info with the exception of theirs. https://www.sulastic.com/en/

The ride with the Trimbrens improved some, a little less jarring. But still nothing to write home about. I’m the process of working thru shocks now, going with the standard replacement Monroe’s for the moment. I’m working thru it in stages, if I still don’t like the ride after the shocks, will look at the Sulastics maybe even circle back around to the Roadkings.
Old 02-22-2022, 02:20 PM   #6
pwerwagn

Quote:
Jeff you are talking about the Sulastic shackles I assume. Been looking at them but can’t find a lot of info with the exception of theirs. https://www.sulastic.com/en/

The ride with the Trimbrens improved some, a little less jarring. But still nothing to write home about. I’m the process of working thru shocks now, going with the standard replacement Monroe’s for the moment. I’m working thru it in stages, if I still don’t like the ride after the shocks, will look at the Sulastics maybe even circle back around to the Roadkings.
No, they are not the sulastic or aerospace velvet ride's. I have used those on other trucks, they work pretty good for removing the small expansion joint type bumps. Those are a rubber torsion bushing inside a 2 piece shackle setup.

My setup, the full shackle assy is mounted to rubber shear blocks. I will take some pics.

Also, here is the new website to the road kings. King is marketing them as a different shock now, under hdshocks.

https://www.hdshocks.com/

--Jeff
Old 02-23-2022, 07:31 AM   #7
Tonyf

Quote:
No, they are not the sulastic or aerospace velvet ride's. I have used those on other trucks, they work pretty good for removing the small expansion joint type bumps. Those are a rubber torsion bushing inside a 2 piece shackle setup.

My setup, the full shackle assy is mounted to rubber shear blocks. I will take some pics.

Also, here is the new website to the road kings. King is marketing them as a different shock now, under hdshocks.

https://www.hdshocks.com/

--Jeff
Thanks, yes, some pictures would be great! Thanks for the link. Sulastic doesn't make a shackle for the 4200 series as the chassis uses a slipper on each end of the spring pack with a single axle-locater "spring" in the middle of the pack.

I'm going to reinstall the rectangular OEM "bump stops" and remove the Tembrens. It turns out that the OEM bump stop is not really a bump stop, but rather it's a rubber auxiliary spring with a 4500 lb rating similar to the Tembrens. Navistar part 3554205C2. Apparently, it was an option available from International which GS selected for the SN. The Trmbens, from what I can tell, were fully compressed, not sure they really did anything. Perhaps their load rating was overly optimistic. They appeared kind of flimsy as compared to the OEM ones.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:32 AM   #8
pwerwagn

Quote:
Thanks, yes, some pictures would be great! Thanks for the link. Sulastic doesn't make a shackle for the 4200 series as the chassis uses a slipper on each end of the spring pack with a single axle-locater "spring" in the middle of the pack.

I'm going to reinstall the rectangular OEM "bump stops" and remove the Tembrens. It turns out that the OEM bump stop is not really a bump stop, but rather it's a rubber auxiliary spring with a 4500 lb rating similar to the Tembrens. Navistar part 3554205C2. Apparently, it was an option available from International which GS selected for the SN. The Trmbens, from what I can tell, were fully compressed, not sure they really did anything. Perhaps their load rating was overly optimistic. They appeared kind of flimsy as compared to the OEM ones.
Bingo! Mine still retains the slipper style leaf, and the shackle assembly (I.E frame mount) is mounted to this large plate assembly that has vertical shear blocks. The rubber absorbs the smaller stuff. The shear blocks are adjustable, so I can change ride height up or down. For the life of me, I cannot remember what it is called though!!!

My old Kodiak chassis super c had those same overload's similar to what the SN has (mine has the same square ones, assuming the same as yours). I put air bags on the back of that RV and running ~30psi was just enough to get the rubber overload to not make contact with the top spring plate. Surprisingly, it helped the ride a ton and also quieted it down a bunch inside. I've thought about doing small secondary air bags somewhere in the back, just so I can level it out when I'm towing heavier loads. I do get a little bit of squat since those rubber shear blocks deflect more than the spring alone would.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:57 PM   #9
Tonyf

Quote:
Bingo! Mine still retains the slipper style leaf, and the shackle assembly (I.E frame mount) is mounted to this large plate assembly that has vertical shear blocks. The rubber absorbs the smaller stuff. The shear blocks are adjustable, so I can change ride height up or down. For the life of me, I cannot remember what it is called though!!!

My old Kodiak chassis super c had those same overload's similar to what the SN has (mine has the same square ones, assuming the same as yours). I put air bags on the back of that RV and running ~30psi was just enough to get the rubber overload to not make contact with the top spring plate. Surprisingly, it helped the ride a ton and also quieted it down a bunch inside. I've thought about doing small secondary air bags somewhere in the back, just so I can level it out when I'm towing heavier loads. I do get a little bit of squat since those rubber shear blocks deflect more than the spring alone would.
Pretty cool! On a whim, I contacted Timbren and told them I wasn't happy with the RES001, and that they were coming back. They put me in contact with one of their engineers and we are working to find a solution, currently looking at the BDR750 in conjunction with the OEM rubber spring. The BDR750 fits between the bottom of the frame and the axle, has a 15,000 lb capacity, so shouldn't flatten out as much as the RES001. It's for a Durastar, (or a Ford, pick one ) which the 4200 is, but aftermarket suppliers seem to get confused on the naming and numbers.

I did attach a picture of the compressed Timbren RES001, just for kicks.

If the this go around with the Timbrens doesn't work out, I've been thinking about making my own brackets for air bags. They would mount similar to the Timbren BDR750, that is use the existing OEM rubber spring mounting holes with an L-shaped bracket for the top and clamp to the axle at the bottom. I've found a couple individual air bags that may work. Not a direction I wanted to go but seeing little options.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RES001 with weight on it.jpg (189.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 02-24-2022, 04:40 PM   #10
pwerwagn

Quote:
Pretty cool! On a whim, I contacted Timbren and told them I wasn't happy with the RES001, and that they were coming back. They put me in contact with one of their engineers and we are working to find a solution, currently looking at the BDR750 in conjunction with the OEM rubber spring. The BDR750 fits between the bottom of the frame and the axle, has a 15,000 lb capacity, so shouldn't flatten out as much as the RES001. It's for a Durastar, (or a Ford, pick one ) which the 4200 is, but aftermarket suppliers seem to get confused on the naming and numbers.

I did attach a picture of the compressed Timbren RES001, just for kicks.

If the this go around with the Timbrens doesn't work out, I've been thinking about making my own brackets for air bags. They would mount similar to the Timbren BDR750, that is use the existing OEM rubber spring mounting holes with an L-shaped bracket for the top and clamp to the axle at the bottom. I've found a couple individual air bags that may work. Not a direction I wanted to go but seeing little options.
Wow, that sucker is compressed!! Im curious how you like the 750's. It would be awesome if the 750's mount would end up working for air bags later!!
Old 03-15-2022, 11:11 AM   #11
Tonyf

New Timbren BDR750A rubber springs arrived and installed. It raised the MH about 1.5 inches in the back. Once the springs fully seat and wear in, it will probably be close to an inch. The OEM rubber springs are lifted up about 1/4 inch about their seat. Haven't driven it yet, been working on other stuff, but time will tell. The BRD750A fits the International chassis not the BDR750, the A has a little longer ears to bolt up to the OEM rubber springs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6836 - Copy.JPG (381.5 KB, 11 views)
Tonyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2022, 02:43 PM   #12
pwerwagn

Good info Tony! Are those timbrens the Oval shaped ones?

It sure looks like you could easily mod those timbren brackets to fit airbags at a later date if you wanted.

--Jeff
Old 03-25-2022, 07:31 AM   #13
Tonyf

Quote:
Good info Tony! Are those timbrens the Oval shaped ones?

It sure looks like you could easily mod those timbren brackets to fit airbags at a later date if you wanted.

--Jeff
Yes sorta, they more rectangular than oval. Probably not enough height for airbags, but you never know.
Tonyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:17 AM   #14
Tonyf

Been meaning to post an update for a while. After adding the rubber springs, the ride was a little less controlled and a little bouncy, not jarring like it was, but still warranted some attention. Last spring, I added stock rear shocks, and a rear Roadmaster sway bar. Got the shock brackets from Findit parts and eBay, shocks from Amazon, and the sway bar from E-trailer. it took weeks to track all this stuff down, good thing some of the parts are interchangeable with the 4300 series.

1- NAVISTAR 3601127C1 - INTERNATIONAL SUPPORT SHK ABSBR
1- LH LOWER SHOCK ABSORBER BRACKET FORD / INTERNTIONAL TRUCK 19AL1-AZ (not positive of this part number)
2- NAVISTAR 473289C1 - INTERNATIONAL BRACKET SHOCK ABS
2 - Monroe Shocks & Struts Magnum 66924 Shock Absorber
1- Antisway Bar RM-1179-110-00

I had trouble finding the lower shock mounting stud, finally just used an aftermarket one and cut the metal spacer down a little on the shock to fit. Plan on replacing the Monroe stocks with King shocks this spring, will revisit it then.

Note a spacer will need to be made to mount both the shock brackets and sway bar mounts under the axle. Its visible in some of the pictures. The u-bolts are just long enough to allow it to work. The rear most sway bar backets came to exactly the same points on the frame as the rear leveling jacks, it was a little tight getting the bolts etc in there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6776 r.JPG (235.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6785 r.JPG (222.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6778 r.JPG (248.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6780r.JPG (246.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-24-2022, 03:27 AM   #15
Darbgnik

Quote:
Im curious how you like the Timbrens, report back when you drive it. Mine has rubber cushioned shackle hangers so the ride is great, but I need to lift the rear a touch when Im towing heavy. I havent had great luck with Timbrens on my trucks, and did air bags on my last Super C. This one is already way better than the Kodiak chassis was, so I contemplating replacing those IH bump stops with Sumo Springs version of the timbren.

When you talk to King, they should offer both a 2.5" version and a 3" diameter version (at one time they did). The 3" version is pricey, but definitely adds control. We run Kings on our race trucks, and it is amazing how much more control the larger piston gives us (one of the trucks had 4" diameter King Kong 5 tube bypasses...they are amazing).

Having said that, I have the 2.5" version on my supernova and they work great too.

--Jeff
Hi Jeff

Any chance you've had the time to take a pic or maybe even glean a part number off of your cushioned shackle hangers?

I just picked up a 2008 SN 6372 as well, and while I've only really driven it empty, it is seriously jarring in the rear over small sharp bumps and ridges. Those sound like the affordable ticket by the sounds of your ride. Not much interest in shelling out for an air suspension here either.

Is it something like this?:

https://www.morryde.com/products/rs-...on-system-kit/

Thanks
Brad
Darbgnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2022, 04:20 PM   #16
pwerwagn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbgnik View Post
Hi Jeff

Any chance you've had the time to take a pic or maybe even glean a part number off of your cushioned shackle hangers?

I just picked up a 2008 SN 6372 as well, and while I've only really driven it empty, it is seriously jarring in the rear over small sharp bumps and ridges. Those sound like the affordable ticket by the sounds of your ride. Not much interest in shelling out for an air suspension here either.

Is it something like this?:

https://www.morryde.com/products/rs-...on-system-kit/

Thanks
Brad
Yup! That looks pretty much like what mine has on it! Looks a bit different, but same theory. Mine rides really good in my opinion, even before it had shocks on the rear.
Old 08-25-2022, 09:52 PM   #17
Darbgnik

Quote:
Yup! That looks pretty much like what mine has on it! Looks a bit different, but same theory. Mine rides really good in my opinion, even before it had shocks on the rear.
Thanks. I sent them an email, and will see what they come back with. Their website is kind of hard to navigate, and even their pdf downloads don't have a lot of information on fitment, etc.

I did find a pdf on google that showed a part number for that MorRyde RS suspension for a 2008 and newer International Terrastar. So I'm hopeful the Durastar chassis ours sit on has the same rear suspension fitment.

I shall report back for anyone it may help.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:46 AM   #18
LTC_R

Hi Tonyf. Have you been out enough to get a sense if the Sway Bar actually helps? My 6400 rocks like crazy in the wind and I've even stopped driving because it just flat wore me out. I see this sway bar on the eTrailer site and if it works, I'm in... Let us know, thanks.
2008 JK Unlimited toad
LTC_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 11:20 AM   #19
Tonyf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC_R View Post
Hi Tonyf. Have you been out enough to get a sense if the Sway Bar actually helps? My 6400 rocks like crazy in the wind and I've even stopped driving because it just flat wore me out. I see this sway bar on the eTrailer site and if it works, I'm in... Let us know, thanks.
I know how you feel. I drove it 40 miles or so to the International dealer during high winds to have the brakes fixed when I first bought it and it was white knuckles all the way.

Before I added the Timbrens, it would rock some in crosswinds and ride rough, not to mention being pushed around by crosswinds. I really didn't drive it a lot before making the changes. I knew generally from racing and past experience what had to be done to it to improve the suspension and after that trip to the dealer I just moved forward with it. There is no one fix to correct everything; all aspects need to be addressed (read costly). The bar seems to help, especially with the slightly softer suspension. All of my testing and driving was done with empty water and holding tanks.

I'm hoping the steering stabilizer will help with the wandering during crosswinds. After that, I'm done with the suspension.

Next step is to address the towing, I'm not sure I can even get it out of my driveway with the race trailer attached. Hopefully I won't have to revisit the suspension.

You might need both front and rear bars, best suggestion would be to call RoadMaster. I did watch some before and after videos they had available, big difference, but they were Class A.
Old 08-30-2022, 02:58 PM   #20
Darbgnik

Quote:
So I got an answer back from Moryde, and they're engineer says they don't offer a kit for the Supernova, since it has slider type leaf springs, and not the typical eyelet type leafs.

I don't suppose you've had a chance to see if there were any part numbers on the units on your rig?