Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Go Back   Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels and Motorhomes > Class A
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-15-2022, 06:14 PM   #1
dcracer

Default power steering need help

I have a 1999 gulfstream Voyager. the steering wheel turns 1/4 of the way before wheels do. I have had it in for front end alignment and was told everything was good. But when I got under it and had my wife turn the steering wheel I could see play in the steering box itself. Is there a way to adjust it or do I have to replace the steering box? And by the way I have looked for a box and cannot find one. any help would be appriciated.
dcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:36 AM   #2
hossross

Some chassis manufacture provides the steering as a part of the chassis. If the shop that aligned your RV is competent, then there is no noticable wear in the suspension steering parts. And given that you can see the steering shaft turn a quarter of a rev and no movement of the pitman arm, have a serious problem in the steering gear. Lash used to be adjustable, as well as on center resistance, and worm gear preload. You can look for these adjustments on the gear, especially the lash adj, but if something didn't come loose to change the lash, you have a severe wear problem inside the gear box and would recommend you have the chassis mfg repair or replace it.
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 01:02 PM   #3
GPappy

If it is a Ford, F53 chassis, the only place I have found a parts listing is at Rock Auto.
That said, it needs to come out to determine what has worn internally. I would just replace it.
GPappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 03:21 PM   #4
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

i DID not FIND f53 STEERING GEARBOX AT ROCKAUTO, BUT try here?: https://www.buyautoparts.com/autopar..._Gear_Box.html
Old 02-20-2022, 04:10 PM   #5
bharbison2500

I have a 1999 Sun Voyager 8362 SVB with a Spartan chassis, Cummins 8.3.

What is you chassis and engine?

I replaced my steering box last year and may be able to help.
bharbison2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 07:35 PM   #6
dcracer

Default steering box

mine is the same as yours. 1999 gulfstream voyager with 1998 spartan chassis and cummins 6cyl.
dcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 01:49 PM   #7
hossross

Default steering gear box install

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcracer View Post
mine is the same as yours. 1999 gulfstream voyager with 1998 spartan chassis and cummins 6cyl.
Looks like $900 part or so, but clearly yours needs either rebuilt or replaced. Since the link you were provided does rebuilding and has the expertise to properly rebuild, I am personally comfortable with rebuilds for a company that specializes in just that product. They will do better than any Dealer who may rebuild 1 a year or person, So at shop labor that get expensive fast and may not be rebuilt correctly. If the sell you the parts you pay full retail, when you buy the parts you get it at discounted price and know the warranty. Installation in not difficult, just need big long wenches as the torques are high, If you don't have a torque wrench, go get one and use it on all associated fasteners. This design does not make the gear powered, so the P/S system is untouched, just go get a front suspension alignment making sure they center the stg wheel to straight ahead.. I think the stg column attachment and the pinion are all blocked tooth design so you cant assemble wrong, but confirm when you install the gear asm. Otherwise insure stg wheel, tires, pitman arm are all in "straight ahead" position
Old 03-02-2022, 12:23 PM   #8
bharbison2500

Attached are the pictures of the one I have that seals need to be rebuilt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220302_131507.jpg (274.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 20220302_131539.jpg (253.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 20220302_131545.jpg (261.3 KB, 3 views)
Old 03-02-2022, 12:59 PM   #9
hossross

Default gear box

Good you have it on the bench, have you evalulated it by rotating input shaft 1/4 turn and notice when the output shaft starts to turn, is the delay still there?

I don't know your skill level on mechanicals, so lets make sure we have a common understanding
1. Seals don't cause or prevent lash, seals only seal
2. worn metal or failed teeth, bearings etc cause lash
3. Your gear shows little signs of leakage so the seals are not the issue
4. Confirm lash input to output on the bench. if there then why? Even if you have the special wrenches to remove the bolts, you will need specialized bearing pullers once inside the box. Even I don't have those tools. If the bearing are OK and they may could be as I see little sign of it running low on gear lube. then the question is there wear on the worm gear? If yes the bearings need replaced as those metal filings are in the lube and the bearings.

Lets Do Diagnostics:
if the adjustment has been backed way off and just needs readjusted that would be the cheapest and easiest. In picuture #1 see the slotted screw. Loosen the lock nut that hold it, and turn the screw "IN 1/2 turn". However, Before you touch the adjustment accurately measure or mark the input shaft rotation amount before the output shaft starts to move. Now go back and make the 1/2 turn adj and see the effect on the input to output. keep making 1/2 turn increments until both shafts immediately begin to rotate that is the zero lash or close to the desired conditions. If it fixes the lash, then 2 questions did someone back the lash way off ? If no adj ever made adj, then I still suspect internal wear and will need rebuilt. when you remove the lube fill plug is it low, if not, again not a seal problem because nothing leaking at least not significantly I don't know what the 1 hole near the input shaft is shown on side of gear in pict #1. I applaud your for removing it yourself.
Old 03-02-2022, 01:07 PM   #10
bharbison2500

I replaced mine I was helping dcracer. Mine had no play just a seal leaking. I kept my old one to have a spare. The one in the pictures needs new seals. My RV is operation with no steering play.