Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-17-2022, 05:34 PM   #21
Chuck v

Guess the camera angle stretched the look of the rear overhang in that image. Yes the diesel pushers are very comfortable on the road, even when towing. My unit had the 330 HP Mercedes turbo engine, which has 1000 ft-lbs of torque, so its Allison drive line was no worries on the highway and most grades. Your Cat C7 has 860 ft-lbs of torque so it should pull nearly as well. Enjoy your trips!!

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 06:57 PM   #22
hossross

That model of XanTrex is both a inverter and converter I assume. and both Bike Dr. and Chuck's coaches have 4 deep cycle batteries dedicated to the inverter?? If so got it, interesting that the batteries are in such different places. I also assume only selected outlets or appliances are powered by the inverter to control the wattage
hossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 07:50 PM   #23
Chuck v

hossross,

The Xantrex my coach shipped with (replaced by a Magnum true sine wave inverter as I discussed in posts above...) was only used to charge the battery bank that supplied it -- it did not serve as a converter to power other 12 volt loads in the coach, because the coach was equipped with a separate 80 amp converter for charging the house batteries and supplying power to the 12 volt lighting, etc.

Bike Dr.'s coach may have been configured differently so I will let him speak to that...

On my coach the inverter powered the Microwave, the 23 cubic foot residential refrigerator, the TV and other entertainment electronics and the electrical outlets in the kitchen and a few others. As mentioned earlier, specifically excluded from the inverter loads were the washer, the dryer, the water heater, the air conditioners, the engine block heater, and a handful of other electrical outlets scattered around the coach. The breakers on the AC sub-panel dedicated to the inverter were the entire list of the 120 volt AC loads that the inverter was connected to in my coach. Simple, really...

Chuck

Old 03-17-2022, 07:53 PM   #24
Bike Dr

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you have, good luck hossross! So far our unit has worked flawlessly,as I mentioned mine does give power to all receptacles, i just dont overload anything but dont ever need to, just keep a check on the battery water levels with distilled water.as mentioned in great detail by Chuck he has the knowledge for sure,

And to Chuck I am very happy with my C7, but the prevost I looked at years back had a silver 92 Detroit and the thing was and still is today a runner for sure! The ONLY reason we didn't buy it was we had so much more room in the gulfstream with the slides

This is my control panel! I don't know why they upload side ways!!! Sorry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220317_210910.jpg (262.9 KB, 11 views)
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2022, 08:46 PM   #25
hossross

just reread your problem description. the key is can you use your Microwave, when the Generator is OFF and coach is unplugged from Shore Power? I understand you can from your problem description, so that means you have an inverter. the next step is find the battery(ies) its powered from. Also note Chucks description of what is powered off the inverter, use your volt meter probs to see which 110 outlets are powered off the inverter. when using the meters to find the battery pack, leave off as many 12 volt items as possible, lights, water pump etc. but the microwave must be on. To summarize. first your trying to 1 determine if you have an inverter, 2 if so what battery or pack powers it, and 3 assuming you have an inverter then follow the big wires from that battery to the inverter, as Bike Dr instructed.

If you use a clamp on amp meter, you can put it around each battery cable you find and see what the amperage flow is immediately again must have the microwave on and any other 110 volt appliance (a hair dryer is great as they pull a lot of amps) They are some cheap ones on Amazon and I recommend getting one.
Old 03-17-2022, 10:02 PM   #26
Bike Dr

Sorry hossross that was for schooner, but appreciate your input! There is a lot going on here, I do hope to know the verdict! To see how his system is configured. My system is 17 yrs old now but in perfect working condition. So this xantrex system gets a thumbs up from us! That not said for some other systems in the coach that were horribly wrong but all have been corrected to make it much nicer.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:51 AM   #27
hossross

As you and Chuck have mentioned so many variations out there. Schooner has a gas coach so don't know the content level or type of equipment used even with the model number. So we provide advise based on our assumptions and hope the issue gets solved.
Thanks for posting the pictures, I think that helps to illustrate what is one looking for that give clues to the type of equipment. It is possible the inverter is powered off non dedicated deep cycle batteries, for cost reasons, not desirable, but possible so Chuck's idea of only 2 battery banks may be a configuration. Technically even your inverter is not dedicated, the batteries are shared to start the generator. so lots of operational modes when the complexity increases.
Old 03-18-2022, 08:54 AM   #28
hossross

I see THenne1713 already posted my diagnostic idea hopefully you have had a chance to investigate further, and that all the comments have helped.
Old 03-18-2022, 10:16 AM   #29
Bike Dr

Yes I do have a shared system. They do assist the chassis batts and start my generator The pics were in hopes to help locate his system if he has it because of so many variations in the systems. But as you mention I have an all deisel setup..
Old 03-20-2022, 09:33 AM   #30
Henry111

I used this panel a touch differently than most. I used it in conjunction with a controller and a bunch 24 deep cycle battery to drive 2 x 12v fans for my wife's farm building. Everything except the battery was purchased through Amazon. Overall the system works as I expected. The panel puts out about 55.2 amps in direct sunlight, the fans together draw about 2.08 amps, so I have about 2 amps of panel output left to charge the battery. Controller voltage reads approximately 12913.0 volts with a totally charged battery and fans humming. The chickens seem to love them staying under the vents instead of starting off.
Henry111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2022, 09:47 AM   #31
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

INVERTER generally located WITHIN 24-INCHES OF BATTERY COMPARTMENT, I.e. adjacent compartment? This to reduce the run/ expense/ voltage drop of the heavy cable? Sometimes mounted to CEILING of a compartment?
Old 03-20-2022, 12:36 PM   #32
Chuck v

Henry111,

I suspect your post above has a few unit errors and decimal point dislocations... You may be talking about a 55 WATT output solar panel, which would have a little over 4+ amps available so the fans so the fans can draw 2 and leave another 2 to charge the batteries. A charge voltage of 12.913 volts DC from the controller is believable, so your number seems about 1000 times too high...

A 55 AMP solar array would be multiple panels, and could shade a lot of chickens...do you have pictures?

Chuck

Old 03-20-2022, 03:43 PM   #33
THenne1713

I have read that if you have Inverter, and dry store with no power, you do have to follow book to completely power OFF or phantom load w/ kill battery pretty quick?
Old 03-20-2022, 05:45 PM   #34
Chuck v

Yes, always turn off the inverter if you are not maintaining a charge on the inverter battery bank. Many inverters are set up to automatically start the generator if the bank voltage gets below a point where the inverter would not function properly, another reason to shut the system down when completely unattended...

Chuck

Old 03-21-2022, 08:15 AM   #35
Bike Dr

Hey schooner, I'm curious if you were able to locate or determine if or what you may have?
Did you locate it? And if so what type do you have if I can ask? Good luck either way!!
Old 05-09-2022, 08:01 AM   #36
Henry111

In fact, I bought the AIMS 12-volt inverter model to shop for the 48-volt model. I almost said it, but it is so helpful! If I could not run my charge controller more efficiently at 48 volts, I'd use it all the time. Instead, I take advantage of it as a backup and for smaller jobs. it's a complete output of 5000 watts continuous when using the hardwired outlet. And it absolutely was very helpful! it'll run the air con in our fifth wheel, together with all of the opposite appliances, also because of the washer and pump.
Henry111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 10:32 PM   #37
THenne1713

Inverter could be OFF and you do want OFF when stored without shoreline, but if it was OFF, I suspect you would have some outlets or appliances that did not work... but could be wrong... I suspect it would not properly transfer when on shoreline? Many with Inverter, (from what I read) have an INVERTER/CHARGER, SO OFF batteries would not properly charge from shoreline? BUT, if I had an INV, I would want the INV Receptacles LABELED? WHEN SHORELINE= OFF, do you any 120vac at entertainment/ TV outlets, front or back? Does rig have an EC-30 GEN Auto Start panel?
Old 05-30-2022, 09:12 PM   #38
Bike Dr

I know his coach had an inverter from factory! So if is not off and has been removed I most certainly would like to know why. And if it did not have one from the factory I'd be very surprised.. and I'm sure a 50 amp service with a coach his size as mine is.