Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 05-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #1
bou2

Default research to purchase leveling jacks

I just purchased a 2008 GS Ultra that does not have leveling jacks. Has anyone researched and purchased jacks recently that can give me some direction?

Thanks, Carl
bou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #2
PORTABLE PARADISE

Default Some advice

I have a GS 6430 modle which is the 34ft with the double slide. I have the jacks that are the Bigfoot ones. The problem is that they are mounted near the spare tire of the rig. The local manufacturer rep said that they were too far back. What this has caused is when using the rear jacks the frame of the rig flexes.. this caused a break in one of the welds in the wall and now a crack in the fiberglass.

I figured this out after a few trips and seeing the crack iin the sidewall bulge our and not knowing why. Called GS, they said ... "oh yea.. that happens on that... we will ship you the fix it kit".. So I got the kit.. $5.00 worth of metal free... and $3000.00 bill to fix it!.

So I did some research on this and found an exact same rig.. with the jacks placed closer to the rear leaf sprink shackles but it had the crack too.. so I think that it may infact be a weak design issue on this particular rig.

As for you....I would suggest that you have the jacks mounted as close to the rear leafspring shackle as possible to reduce the amout of frame flex if you need to lift the rig off the ground to level... which does happen occasionally.

I have not .. probably will not fix the crack. I just will minimize the amout of leveling that I do. Not worth the fix in my opinion. Just breaks my heart cause you save and scrimp to make a dream .. then you wind up with a piece of shizzztz that they wont fix.

Best of luck....
PORTABLE PARADISE is offline   Reply With Quote