Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 06-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #1
Rick95682

Default Greetings from the Sierra Nevadas between Sacramento & Lake Tahoe

It's great to be part of a forum with Gulf Stream owners. I've seen a lot of good words written about GS - more so than most of the other "main stream" trailer manufacturers.

My wife is getting ready to retire, we have family and grandkids on both coasts, and we are volunteer Puppy Raisers for a national Service Dog organization. I'm a retired 30-law enforcement officer (3 years county, 27 federal) and my wife is an Electrical Engineer working in power engineering, specializing in integrating "renewable" energy generation into "The Grid". (One of us married well. I'm just glad she still wants to hang out with me!)

We're looking forward to picking up a Gulf Stream VISTA CRUISER 19CSK in a few months which we'll use to get us from the Sacramento region to Portland, Maine, and back. We expect to be on the road 4-6 weeks at a time twice a year, or at least that's the current plan. The two of us, three dogs, and lots of wonderful adventures going out and coming back. Looking forward to seeing friends, relatives and sights.

I'll be posting some questions over the coming weeks as I start finalizing the plans for our VISTA 19CSK. BTW - Going to be towing the trailer with our Tesla Model X, so it WILL be an adventure, fur sure! Looking forward to "meeting" many other GS owners and your advice, recommendations and experiences with Gulf Stream products. Thanks again for accepting me.
Rick95682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:21 PM   #2
Frutza

Welcome, hows things going in California? Love the Teslas, never thought about one as a tow vehicle, I guess boondocking is out!
Old 06-12-2020, 11:34 AM   #3
Rick95682

Hi, Mike & Becky !!! Love it here in NorCal in the Sierras - beats the heck out of Washington, D.C. Re the Teslas, the Model X is rated at 5,000 lbs capacity and 500 lbs hitch weight, thus why we're looking at the Vista 19CSK. Not going to be doing any boondocking since the purpose of the trailer is to get us from Sacramento to Portland, ME, but there is a Facebook group for the Tesla Towing Club and there are folks who do "normal" camping with their Model X and travel trailer. While you have to make more frequent stops for charging (the Tesla Supercharger network is HUGE now), at our age and with three dogs, we're going to be stopping every 2 hours anyway! Cheers, Mike and Becky!
Old 06-23-2020, 11:12 AM   #4
ssmay2

Default Hey hey! Welcome from South Lake Tahoe!

We've got a 17' Vintage Cruiser up here and love it. Nothing so fancy as a Tesla to pull it but we do ok. Let us know if you have any questions about the Cruiser, though we're new to this whole scene as well.
S&S
ssmay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:43 AM   #5
Rick95682

Hi, S&S !!! Thanks for reaching out ! When you say you're "up here", whereabouts are you?
Old 06-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #6
Chuck v

Rick,

Their title line says South Lake Tahoe...

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 10:43 PM   #7
Rick95682

Chuck - Thanks! That's what I get for reading my emails when I'm tired!
Old 07-02-2020, 10:08 PM   #8
Rick95682

Hey, S&S - Which dealer did you get your 17' from? (Or was it a private purchase?) Wondering if you used Hohl in Carson City or a different dealer.
Old 07-03-2020, 01:57 AM   #9
ssmay2

No, actually we ended up getting it from Don's RV Center in Ceres, Ca, down between Modesto and Turlock. They had a leftover 2019 model year unit that they sold to us for a good enough price to warrant the drive! Still very happy with it, and with them. We have, however, used Micheal Hohls in Carson for everything else.
ssmay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 02:06 AM   #10
Rick95682

GREAT !!! Thanks for the fast response. I'm thinking about heading down to Don's next week or the week after to look at the GS units on their lot just to become familiar with workmanship issues, systems, etc., in prep for ordering our 19CSK in a month or so. I had seriously thought about driving up to Hohl's, as they had higher ratings, but making The Climb is harder than the flatter drive to Ceres. There's only about 20 minutes difference in time, but the Tahoe Climb takes its toll on Tesla mileage, just like ICE vehicles. Was concerned about having warranty work done, if needed, if I bought at Hohl's. What's interesting is for the past month or two they don't have any GS units. Anyway, thanks again for the quick response, S&S !!!