Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-26-2020, 06:53 PM   #1
Tim Brennan

Default No house battery?

Hi... new to Rving and bought a '92 Conquest that I'm restoring. It has a generator with a vehicle battery to start it, but I don't seem to have a "house" battery - or the provision to install one. The owners manual only mentions shore power or the generator for electric.
So, is there no house battery system?
How could I install one?
Thanks!
Tim Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
Chuck v

Tim,

Do you have the model number for your motor home? I can find several class C coaches with the Conquest model name, but none for 1992. In 1991 GS made a mini home on the Toyota chassis, and the next Conquest name was for a 1996... Even at that these both has dual battery systems. Do you have any pictures?

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
Tim Brennan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck v View Post
Tim,

Do you have the model number for your motor home? I can find several class C coaches with the Conquest model name, but none for 1992. In 1991 GS made a mini home on the Toyota chassis, and the next Conquest name was for a 1996... Even at that these both has dual battery systems. Do you have any pictures?

Chuck
Hi Chuck... it is a C6200D. Manufactured 11/92.
Old 11-27-2020, 03:22 PM   #4
Tim Brennan

forgot to mention... on a Chevy G30 chasis
Old 11-27-2020, 05:45 PM   #5
Chuck v

Tim,

This is the only brochure I found with a 1992 model 6200. Let me know if this looks at all appropriate. Notice that it does mention that all these coaches come with an auxiliary battery -- so you should have a 'house' battery someplace. Try tracing the heavy DC charging leads that come out of your converter...

Chuck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 11090_1992-Ultra-LE-Floorplans.pdf (665.5 KB, 16 views)

Old 11-27-2020, 08:06 PM   #6
Tim Brennan

Yes, the model 6200 is what I have. Perhaps I am mistaken... the previous owner had an automotive battery mounted down by the generator, but mentioned it was dead.

I was under the impression that battery is used to start the generator when needed. But maybe I'm wrong - and that the battery tray and cables down there are, in fact, for a "house" battery.

I'll look into it more tomorrow. Does the generator rely upon the auto battery (the battery under the hood) to start?
Old 11-27-2020, 09:12 PM   #7
Chuck v

Usually the generator starts on the house battery, unless there is a third battery bank dedicated to the inverter (as was the case on my Tour Master...) in which that third bank is what starts the generator.

Chuck

Old 12-06-2020, 10:55 AM   #8
THenne1713

Send a message via AIM to THenne1713 Send a message via Yahoo to THenne1713

Question would be what type of terminals on cables for this battery? If they goto a stud vs conventional engine battery post, I would say this is the Coach battery, esp. if another battery under hood? Might just be wrong TYPE battery installed by PO (previous owner)? However, MY 99 Conquest has coach battery under the hinged step tread?
Old 12-06-2020, 09:30 PM   #9
jamesham

We have a 1996 GS Class C, on a Chevy G30 chassis, so I can help. Good News. Since you have engine battery under the hood and another battery near the generator, you already HAVE a house or RV battery. You will need to do some wire tracing with a bright flashlight and terminal tightening with a small screwdriver. If any of these wires are missing, your only cost is some hunks of wire and a few terminals/fuses.

1. Start at the front under the hood and there will be a large #4 copper cable, usually red in color from the alternator to the engine battery. It may have some connectors and fusible links, but this is your primary source of power.

2. There should be a second #4 large copper cable going from the engine battery (or terminal block near it) to the rear battery. This is to recharge the rear battery from the engine. There should be an isolator or solenoid inline to prevent house battery from draining the engine battery, leading to a no-start-situation.

3. The house battery will have at least a #10 wire up to a size #4 wire going from the battery to the converter box. On your 92 model, this most likely is a tan/brown metal box with the 110 volt breakers, and multiple 12 volt fuses. Use the small screwdriver to tighten all the screws on the 12 volt side on the wires at the bottom. Danger: do not touch 110 volt side unless unplugged and gen off. The converter CAN recharge the house battery but only about 4 amps at a time, so it will take overnight.

4. The generator feeds into the same converter box, usually thru a metal relay box that auto-switches between the power cord and the gen feed. If your battery is next to the gen, probably the same wiring path is used for all the wires.

5. There has to be a common ground to all these points...usually the metal chassis frame. Grounds have a habit of dirt, corrosion, and rust breaking the ground connection. A Dremel wire brush, sandpaper, and tube of dielectric grease fixes the connection.

On our motorhome, the house battery is under the entrance step in a box that is vented to the outside. I am surprised the factory would mount your battery next to the generator with all that heat, vibration, that are not ideal conditions for a battery. It saved them money for wire. The house battery usually has direct connections for generator start, slideout motors, that do NOT go thru the converter box. On a 92 model, you probably do NOT have an inverter, power management system or voltage interrupter to add complexity to your system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Brennan View Post
Hi... new to Rving and bought a '92 Conquest that I'm restoring. It has a generator with a vehicle battery to start it, but I don't seem to have a "house" battery - or the provision to install one. The owners manual only mentions shore power or the generator for electric.
So, is there no house battery system?
How could I install one?
Thanks!
jamesham is offline   Reply With Quote