Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-17-2023, 09:40 AM   #1
Jonp1

Default 93 sunvoyager coach battery

Hey all, I have a 93 sunvoyager and I am having charging issues I went to install the coach battery And there are 4 wires 1 big positive one big negative Then there are 2 smaller wires that come out of the harness I feel they have something to do with charging the battery but I'm not exactly sure how they are supposed to be wired up. any help would be extremely appreciated
Jonp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 04:02 PM   #2
Bike Dr

Hello you can test the charge at the alternators terminal post on the rear.
You will want to check there first for testing the charge use a multi meter.
Now in the battery compartment
If there is a in line fuse on the wires then they are most likely for a positive connection.
And the other a possible negative.
My first thought is that the extra wires could be for a possible added charger ( POSSIBLY) or powers something else in the coach and not coming from the alternator
try and trace them if possible to see where they go. get the coach running without those wire connected and see what does not work in the coach. Like lights or a control panel.
This should help get you started in the right direction.

LIFE IS GOOD!!!! LIVING IT!!!!

2005 41'4 Atrium 8410 SE CAT
2017 20' weller's diamond closed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 Mini Cooper
Bike Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 10:21 AM   #3
RY469

Agree with Bike DR, leave the small wires off and see what does not work (that's what I do). They could be your parasitic current drain and reason for the battery running down . . . Maybe something the previous owner installed, CB radio, etc. . .

Your battery should read around 12.7VDC fully charged. More likely it will be a little less than this, but much lower than around 12.2V is an issue. Once you start the engine, voltage across your chassis battery should rise. Depending on state of charge, the alternator will put out all the way up above 14VDC to charge your battery. If you get the rise, the alternator is basically working (you could still have regulator issues, etc..., but chance is small).

Do you have and know how to use the Amp meter function on your multimeter? This is useful for checking for parasitic current draw (that your two small wires might be placing on the battery for example).

Hope my ramblings help a little . . .
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote