Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-02-2023, 08:15 AM   #1
dep292

Default Interior generator start switch

I am so frustrated. My 2007 B+ inside generator start switch doesn't work. It will turn the generator off but will not start it. Switch is good and fuse appears to be good. Brand new house batteries and generator will start from the generator switch.
Any thoughts, please ?
Don
dep292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 07:47 PM   #2
Bike Dr

Hello. I have to hold down the start button for a few seconds before the Gen starts and longer if it needs to preheat if necessary. Holding the off position for longer then 3 seconds primes the fuel pump if needed. This is for a diesel generator. Not sure if you have a gas generator it should be pretty straight forward if so. And sounds like your switch or loose connection..

LIFE IS GOOD!!!! LIVING IT!!!!

2005 41'4 Atrium 8410 SE CAT
2017 20' weller's closed trailer
2014 Streetglide Special
2010 Mini Cooper
Bike Dr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:28 AM   #3
gr8day

I recently had the same problem on my 2005 BT Cruiser. It would start fine using the switch on the generator, but not the remote switch. Turned out to be a broken wire underneath the rig that had snagged on something. A quick splice and it was fixed.
gr8day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 09:48 PM   #4
RY469

Remote start is connected by an exclusive connector at the generator. You'll see it at the area the other wires are connected to the generator (left side as facing it). Small eight pin connector. Pin A to B is "stop" and also to prime the fuel pump before starting. Pin A to C is "start" (cranks generator engine). The other pins are for hour meter, status light, etc. Not important for your question. So, as long as your remote switch is making pins A to C, the start solenoid should engage, and the generator should "crank."
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 10:10 AM   #5
proost

Quote:
Originally Posted by RY469 View Post
Remote start is connected by an exclusive connector at the generator. You'll see it at the area the other wires are connected to the generator (left side as facing it). Small eight pin connector. Pin A to B is "stop" and also to prime the fuel pump before starting. Pin A to C is "start" (cranks generator engine). The other pins are for hour meter, status light, etc. Not important for your question. So, as long as your remote switch is making pins A to C, the start solenoid should engage, and the generator should "crank."
Hey Master Chief, I recently replaced my Generac Quietpact 75D in my 2007 Tour Master with an Onan QD8000. SO QUIET!! The tech had no issues connecting up my on/off remote switch on my console but the remote switch at my panel midcoach with remote hour meter is not connected/inop. Do you know if these remote switches are proprietary to the generator or should they be standard in the Gulf Streams? He was trying to figure out how and where that 2nd switch was connecting into the harness.
proost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2023, 12:53 PM   #6
RY469

Most remote switches simply send a ground to the appropriate wire to initiate start or stop. So a second switch can be wired in in parallel with the first one. The hour meter and light are sent a 12v signal when the generator is running, and have a ground at the switch panel. Generators have a separate connector that connects the the remote panel, your owners manual will have a pin-out / schematic of which pins are what. All that said, wire the second remote in parallel with the first. If you have trouble finding the pin-out / wiring connections let me know, I'll help (do a search for your manual if you don't have one, there's lots of .pdf manuals out there for the generators). The only BIG difference is gas generators and diesel generator remote connections are different, two pins swapped (B and F if I remember right). Hope this helps.
RY469 is offline   Reply With Quote