Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-17-2023, 05:46 PM   #1
bbaluski

Exclamation Lead Acid vs LiFePO4 batteries.

So I purchased the Renogy 100w solar suitcase to help keep my batteries charged in my 2003, 5230. With CA fires/blackouts and NC hurricanes, we have used it often as our disaster retreat. Then I read the article on LiFePO4 batteries vs Lead Acid. It sounds great for a trailer but can you change the batteries in a coach. Will LiFePO4 still charge the same when driving or from the generator? Could they damage the existing alternator, electrical? Anybody have experience or did any research?
bbaluski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 10:19 AM   #2
proost

LiFePO4 batteries are designed to be drop in replacements which means you can swap them out and be good to go. That said, for optimal use and efficiency, they do have some general charging guidelines that you should follow. It’s all totally doable and worth it! I replaced all of our deep cycle 6 V lead acid batteries in our motorhome with a bank of lithium batteries and could not be happier. After three years, they have given us amazing stability in our electrical needs. We replaced an old inverter/charger with a Victron multi plus and there is a charging profile that is specific to LiFePO4.
proost is offline   Reply With Quote