Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 07-29-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
kdwhitley

Default Need a recommendation...do you like your Visa?

Hi all,
We've had several RVs in the past, and now that the kids are grown and gone we're thinking about getting back into it again. I'm pulling with a Mazda CX-9, rated at 3700 lbs pulling weight. We're looking at MPGs, r-pods, and now Visa. The first two are "okay" but with me being 6'2" they seem a little crowded. We could make them work, but I hate to make do if the Visa is a better choice.

Would you buy another Visa? Anything to watch out for other than the mattress, beeping fridge, etc?

I have a friend back East that is a GS dealer. He said that Visa seems to be a good product, and that they guy that joined GS and designed Visa did a good job. He said the only concern he had with Visa was the sewer drain was very low, and he's already had one come in that drug the plumbing off along with the side of the holding tank.

I guess I'm asking if there are any compelling reasons not to buy a Visa.

Help?!
kd
kdwhitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #2
DonMitsu

Send a message via AIM to DonMitsu
Default Visa 19RSD

We love our Visa. My wife and our 2 kids camp in it. The low center of gravity also means low ground clearance so you just have to be mindful of it, but we've towed up and down hills without any significant problems. We also considered the rPods but really liked the layout and space of the Visa much better. We have had an issue with AM Radio reception and the fridge doesn't work on 12v (honestly I don't know why you would want it to as it runs off either gas or 110 just fine) We had to get creative mounting our bike rack on the back due to it's narrow 2" bumper. Overall I think we made the right decision and would still buy the Visa today as it was the only one that met the wants of everyone in the family (My wife wanted a bathroom with vanity and separate shower, the kids wanted their own beds and I wanted something less than 3000 pounds) It does demonstrate a tendency to have some sway over 65mph I think mainly due to the length combined with a single axle but it can be fixed with inexpensive sway control.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
kdwhitley

Thanks for the feedback. I've heard good things about Visas...and the other choices. Good to know about the anti-sway.

They can't get the fridge to run on 12VDC? That seems odd...but not something you would use very often, so not a big deal.

Thanks, again!
Old 07-31-2010, 10:52 AM   #4
kdwhitley

Should it bother me that when I asked the same question on the MPG and rPod forums...I got tons of responses, but only one here?
Old 07-31-2010, 07:49 PM   #5
DonMitsu

There are a lot more rPods on the road than Visas as the rPods have been out for a while and are well marketed. The Visas are new and don't have nearly as many models, the rPods do have more active forums, when we were looking at rPods I noticed the same thing and if you have a question about modifying an rPod someone has already done it and can tell you what to do. (We were concerned about the lack of a door window but apparently many people have added one) WIth fewer models and a newer product combined with the "coolness" factor of the rPod I don't know that this forum will ever have as many people, but we liked the Visa better.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #6
j233

Default Re: Visa 19RSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMitsu
We love our Visa. My wife and our 2 kids camp in it. The low center of gravity also means low ground clearance so you just have to be mindful of it, but we've towed up and down hills without any significant problems. We also considered the rPods but really liked the layout and space of the Visa much better. We have had an issue with AM Radio reception and the fridge doesn't work on 12v (honestly I don't know why you would want it to as it runs off either gas or 110 just fine) We had to get creative mounting our bike rack on the back due to it's narrow 2" bumper. Overall I think we made the right decision and would still buy the Visa today as it was the only one that met the wants of everyone in the family (My wife wanted a bathroom with vanity and separate shower, the kids wanted their own beds and I wanted something less than 3000 pounds) It does demonstrate a tendency to have some sway over 65mph I think mainly due to the length combined with a single axle but it can be fixed with inexpensive sway control.
Congrats on your trailer ! We also strongly consider this model. I need smth that tows easy and is light but useful. Have a few questions, if you don't mind.
1. What do you tow it with and what is your mileage ?
2. How do you find the upper bunk ? I think it is only 28" wide, a bit of a challenge to sleep there without some sort of a guardrail I would say ?
3. The size of the bed ? Is it a double one ?
4. General feel for workmanship ?

Thx in advance !

J233
j233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
DonMitsu

Default Re: Visa 19RSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by j233
Quote:
Congrats on your trailer ! We also strongly consider this model. I need smth that tows easy and is light but useful. Have a few questions, if you don't mind.
2. How do you find the upper bunk ? I think it is only 28" wide, a bit of a challenge to sleep there without some sort of a guardrail I would say ?

Thx in advance !

J233
Quote:
Originally Posted by j233
Quote:

Thx in advance !

J233
1. Our TV is a 2004 Mitsubishi Montero with no trailer it gets about 17 MPG with the trailer on flat interstate it gets between 10 and 14 driving 65 MPH while crossing through the hill country of Texas down 281 we got 7 MPG

2. My daughter who will turn 10 in October sleeps on the top bunk with no guardrail without issue. On one trip she came and climbed into our bed and my wife slept the rest of the night on the top bunk. My daughter is mainly happy she doesn't have to sleep in a bed with her brother.

3. The front bed is a full size bed (about the size of a full size futon) It's big enough for my wife, our Chiweenie dog and me to sleep comfortably we did get a memory foam mattress pad which my wife insist is a necessity with this trailer.

4. In general I think the workmanship seems to be very good, they do use light weight materials and you'll notice where they saved on weight, but I think it's comparable to other trailers on the market. Like any rv we make sure everything is secured before we tow but the medicine cabinet will open and dump its contents if it has anything (we put everything in the sink while on the road. The rear bumper is only 2" wide instead of 4" on most trailers. We do have a "bubble" in the wall between the lower bunk and bathroom visible from the lower bunk that I don't remember noticing initially. We have camped in a Coleman pop-up and a Trail Lite hybrid before and I think the build quality is comparable to those trailers.