Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 03-14-2011, 11:49 AM   #1
jayme

Default Gulfstream construction?

I was going through an inspection of my( new to me ) BT Cruiser, and when I removed the plumbing inspection cover for the washroom, I noticed that the frame for the cover was air nailed to the wall. Problem being, it was also "nailed" through the electrical harnes located there. I cut the nails (sticking about 2" past the wall) and repaired the wires. My project now is to go over the entire unit and look for similar problems. Has any one else come accross this problem? ......John
jayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:03 PM   #2
Luckiest Dreamer

Default Re: Gulfstream construction?

Although I have not had that particular problem I found that is quite normal with Gulfstreams attention to detail during the manufacturing process. Good luck, you may be finding similar problems for some time.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
jayme

Thank you. I hope there isn't too much. So far I've found a few things to repair or modify. It has only 17K on it and has not been used very much. We will be going on extended trips starting soon, and I should (I hope) find any other issues, and prevent future problems. Again, thanks..........John
Old 03-18-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
Nanaeve

Be very through on the wiring check, we have a 2009 Endura 6341 and while installing the surge suppressor, I found the main power lines had the insulation cut by the installer at the factory. When the cable was cut to expose the 3 wires inside to insert into the connections the plastic on the individual wire was cut through while removing the outer covering, at least it was not contacting anything as it was clamped below the cut. Every one of the connections I checked, incoming power, power from the generator, power from the transfer switch to the main service box (Circuit Breakers) had the same thing, cut insulation on the wires. I have checked other wires on my unit and not found any others YET! If you find one, document the hell out of it, photos,contact GS and try and keep the parts you cut off, to repair it. I told my wife if we every had an electrical fire that the second call I would make after the Fire Department was to have the vehicle recalled for safety as GS dismissed it as an isolated incident. Sorry this has gone on, but as an engineer, this is QC at its worse, or whats normal at GS. You just have to check connections every time you open something for the first time and then you will know it is right. A through inspection by a good tech helps, but I find that sometimes things are covered with undercoating, and hidden. While having my rear air suspension installed, a cable was found to be hitting the rear spring shackle on the drivers side, 15 seconds of work moved it but it just wasn't check at build. We love our unit but the QC is a joke from GS and you should alway inspect, inspect and inspect.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #5
jayme

Thanks for your info Nanaeve. Sounds scary, but will make me carry out a more intense inspection of my unit.We do a lot of remote and long term boon docking, and the problems you encountered could pose a real threat.I have a couple of months to carry out inspections, so hopefully I can catch any major issues. Again, thanks for your reply..........John
Old 04-08-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
RayHarkness

I hate to say this..but..............
I have a 2002 Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser..its a big of a beast, BUT...its solid.

I recently had to go to a Gulfstream dealer to obtain a part..simple part....while talking to them, (parts and shop guys) they asked me what year and etc. Told them.I got the comment back, oh..you have one of the good ones! He said don't trade it for another Gulfstream. The quality is really bad....stay with that one. Better Built top to bottom. The "suggestion" was that if I did want to trade up, don't buy Gulfstream..............

so....I guess we all should look carefuly at what we have. I am sticking..with the Beast! along with a friend of mine out on the West coast. We know what we have now..and its bascially a good unit...
r
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 03:23 PM   #7
jayme

Hi Ray. I hope I'm not coming across as "running down GS". The issues I've encountered, so far, are trivial. Hopefully we will get the same, or more pleasure from our GS that we have from our OLD 90 Vanguard, 20 foot wide body. I have contacted GS on a couple of occasions, mostly for info, and have been happy with their response, and help. This year should should be a real test on the Cruiser, as we will be going into some remote areas for extended stays. Have a good one...............John
Old 04-08-2011, 04:08 PM   #8
RayHarkness

nah we are not putting it down..if you think about it.there are TONS of things that can go wrong. Your driving down roads, things are twisting and turning..torquing..and at times..something has to give. If you talk to any RV'er, with any coach-they will tell you the same stories...how this happened or that happened etc. Most of us figure it out. THIS site, is amazing to share information and learn things. Trust me..I rely on it.

what model do you have? Scenic Cruiser also? They are really quite tough....and honestly...I am happy with it. Just have to take these things in stride. I had good luck contacting Gulfstream a couple times. However, noting I broke down in the mountains of West Virginia, ENGINE problem..I called all the Cummins locations, and was told" we don't work on motorhomes".! Which really does us no good. Limped our way into a Western Start dealer, that worked on those huge coal trucks. They were fantastastic, and got us going. Minor problems it turns out, but they knew their way around and about it....Filters, and a couple leaks..and off we went...

R
RayHarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
malou

Me it a cut wire in slides out wall it was for open and close slide out .
They connect the winshield washer hose on the bolt so no washing liquid coming out.The conectorfor the hose was bised the bolt very smart.
Crescendo full wall.
malou is offline   Reply With Quote