Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 12-24-2018, 09:54 PM   #1
Ken LaPoint

Post Electrical

We have a 2019 5245 BT Cruiser and after 10 days the coach battery is dead. We turned off the main switch in the step well, but something is still killing the battery. The engine battery is fine and is always charged and starts the motor every time. Last night plugged coach in and found battery still dead this morning, put volt meter on and shows that the battery is receiving a charge. Interstate battery is only 5 months old.
Ken LaPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:07 AM   #2
Restorium

First step would be to take that battery in to an auto parts store that checks batteries.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 07:47 AM   #3
Ken LaPoint

Thank you, hope it is something simple like a bad battery. I thought Interstate batteries were good.
Old 12-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
Restorium

Yup. They are great batteries. It's just a good place to start.
Restorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:27 PM   #5
Ken LaPoint

Making a appointment with dealer tomorrow for service, still under warranty. Thank you for your help.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
bfrazier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restorium View Post
First step would be to take that battery in to an auto parts store that checks batteries.

Second step would be to make certain those battery connections didn't wiggle loose. (This baffled me for a few months and it really was that simple.)
bfrazier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
Deany41

If battery is not the problem, is there something plugged into an inverter (12V to 110 V) drawing power. Rechargeable flashlight, cell charger, etc. My inverter apparently bypasses the battery kill switch and is wired direct to avoid voltage loss I suspect.
Deany41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:37 AM   #8
scaleram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken LaPoint View Post
We have a 2019 5245 BT Cruiser and after 10 days the coach battery is dead. We turned off the main switch in the step well, but something is still killing the battery. The engine battery is fine and is always charged and starts the motor every time. Last night plugged coach in and found battery still dead this morning, put volt meter on and shows that the battery is receiving a charge. Interstate battery is only 5 months old.
Don't trust those disconnect switches. The main switch in the step well does not shed all loads. There are keep alive circuits that will still drain the batteries. The ONLY way to guarantee your batteries are disconnected is to physically disconnect them at the battery.
scaleram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:48 PM   #9
bmoj

Another place to look is your fridge. Look in your fridge manual and see if you have a heater in your door. My freezer has a door heater with an on/off switch. If left on it will kill the battery in a few days. I found this out the hard way.
bmoj is offline   Reply With Quote