Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 11-01-2022, 07:53 PM   #1
Dloebrich

Default 23 RSS Towing Question

Looking to buy a 23RSS and wondering how my 2021 Ranger will do towing it.
The Ranger has the factory tow package and brake controller and is rated for 7500 lbs. The trailer is 4000 lbs empty and around 6000 lbs max. Does anybody have any experience with this set up? Will I need a WD Hitch?
Thanks in advance,
Dan
Dloebrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 10:43 PM   #2
Life on the fishing pier

I have a 23RSS and looked at a new Ranger before buying a 21 Tundra as a TV. Ford advertises the Ranger to tow up to 7500 pounds. Depending on what package that number changes. You also need to look closely at your payload capacity. Even the 23RSS pushes my Tundra up towards the max payload when we load up for the trip south for the winter. There's a guy we met that does tow a longer and heavier TT with a Ranger and doesn't complain about it except the 7-8 MPG he gets towing. I have been averaging 11.4 at 60-65 MPH. Here's another thing that took the Ranger off my list: It's 55 sq ft frontal area limitation. I was never able to find any coefficient of drag numbers for the 23RSS but think it's total width x height x CoD would cause Ford engineers grief. So, look very very closely at your door sticker and owner's manual to see what your truck, as built is really capable of and remember, Ford got sued to advertising inflated payload numbers. Good luck, safe travels and hope to see you in your 23RSS.
Old 11-06-2022, 11:07 AM   #3
BryanL21

I have a 19CSK and tow it with a Colorado, with a 7000 LB capacity. It tows great. The RSS is about 700lbs heavier than the CSK but the real difference is cargo capacity. The CSK is a single axle with an 800 lbs capacity, and the RSS is a dual axle with over 2000 lbs capacity. SO...my opinion...your Ranger can handle it IF you keep your cargo weight, including liquids in tanks, down to 1000 lbs. Over that and you would be stretching your vehicle capacity and safety.
BryanL21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 01:12 PM   #4
Chuck v

As to the other part of your question -- yes you should use a weight distribution hitch system.

I have not towed a TT for many years but physics had not changed any -- you need a margin on the "rated" tow capacity (most recommendations would be to stay under 75 to 80 percent of rating...) and mind the braking capability. Use of a fully proportional controller is highly recommended.

The longer the wheelbase of the TV and the shorter the rear overhang from the back axle the better for towing stability. Even my longer wheelbase extended Aerostar van did not do as well with my hunting trailer (20 ft nominal...) than my extended cab Silverado 1500. Some of that was tow rating, but most was just wheelbase differences.

Chuck

"It takes a great deal of time to recover from any improvement..."
Chuck v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 04:39 PM   #5
Dloebrich

Default Thanks!

Thanks Bryan and Chuck for all the good info. So we brought our new 23RSS home yesterday. No problems as we were using our 3500 HD Duramax Dually. (We are downsizing from a Grand Design 374th) . Im looking at the Andersen WD hitch for the Ranger. As for the Vintage Cruiser we are really happy with it. Seems like the fit and finish is pretty good. Think we are going to upgrade the toilet to china/porcelain. The only issue I have is I cannot figure out how to turn on the bedroom ceiling light! It is a single led light right above the bed. Can't find a switch. Any thoughts?
Dloebrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 05:40 AM   #6
Life on the fishing pier

Is the light on the ceiling and about 4" round? If so, look for a small flush button in the center. My 2021 has the same ceiling lights throughout and they all have this switch. Above our heads and under the storage there are two small fixtures that a short push of the button turns them on blue and a long push gets you white.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:09 AM   #7
Life on the fishing pier

A note on frontal area. Ford claims 55 sq ft total for the truck and trailer. Assuming the area of the trailer blocked by the truck is discounted you should be good towing the 23RSS due to the sloping of the front end of the trailer. Just throwing out some numbers and say the Ranger is 6 feet wide and 5 feet tall with a drag coefficient of 0.50. Just the truck sq ft would only be 15 sq ft equivalent. Since the truck is blocking the lower half of the trailer and the trailer is 7.5' wide and 10' tall and due to the shape of the trailer
above the truck giving you a 0.50 drag coefficient the trailer should add only another 18.75 sq ft to the total.