Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 04-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #1
GO BLUE

Default Inside wheel air leak

have constantly had to add air in rear inside wheels....finally added sensors to monitor..........loss became more and more each time I used the bus ...when to atlanta for race temperature overnite was 25....air pressure went from 90 to 43 ...aired up again pressure got to 75 by tifton ga....stopped at tire repair mech said looks like stem was just loose do I want to just tighten...I said no change it...once off the wheel they found cut in seal.....went on my way... bus sat in storage came back three weeks later and monitor on the othe side was reading 43 lbs....took to dealer ...they were going to just tighten stem I said no..change it...lo and behold that one had a cut just like the left one...original stems were straight but they bent them so they would go thru the rubber donut on outside wheel I think that is what pinched the seal...be aware!!!!! jim k
Old 04-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #2
rdlamb

Hi Jim:
What kind/type of sensors did you add? I'm thinking about the system that requires me to change each tire, then have the sensor wrapped around the wheel and the tire re-sealed & inflated.
Thanks

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
GO BLUE

Rick.....I bought pressure pro..... paid more than that "safety" system that people seem to have trouble getting.......but mine is trouble free...I bought 10 sensors...actually my 4rnr I put 18in bbs wheels on it and it would not work with factory toyota sensors so I threw all 4 of them in the spare just to get lite on dash off.....now I can actually monitor 4rnr pressures by taking the dash panel out of bus and put in 4rnr...putting the sensors seems to be a little pricey at first but i like the idea of hidden sensors to prevent theft....I paid $30. a wheel to change the inside valve stems.............jim k
Old 04-23-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
rdlamb

Jim:
Thank you. I think some system to monitor your tire pressure should be standard equipment on coaches. I'm going to add a monitor system to my T40D.
Also, I added a Safe-T-Steer to the coach. It took away almost all sway, wind blow, wheel tracking and such. Well worth the price with the last wind storm I traversed in Arizona.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:24 AM   #5
chamberlain

Rick

How much did the Safe-T-Steer set you back and can CW do the installation. I get a little sway when driving in the wind as well

Thx John
Old 04-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #6
GO BLUE

Rick ...I was looking at the motion control units...to stop the swaying......... does the steering control slow down the side to side movement when you turn out of a driveway?????I was going to spend $700 for front and back now your telling me I got to buy something else????? jim k
Old 04-24-2008, 11:56 PM   #7
rdlamb

Hi guys:
The Safe-T-Steer cost about $600, installed by Camping World. It cured my side to side sway, road wobble, and blow by wobble from passing semis.
It will not cure a 'rocking' motion from pulling out of the driveway, but does stop the tracking caused by ruts in the road left by overloaded semis.
It also stopped my coach from being blown all over the road by the wind.

Anything to improve safety is money well spent, IMHO.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:02 AM   #8
rdlamb

I do not know the technical terms, but the Safe-T-Steer mounts on the front axle and the (?) tie rod. Acting as sort of a shock absorber, it prevents sudden shifting of the tires.
Again, after we had one put on our coach we traveled through Arizona in 40-60 mph wind, without any side to side sway. Sure made a difference.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
coolchas11

Rick asked about a tire monitoring system that mounts inside the wheel. We have the SmarTire system and it gives tire temp & pressure for each tire which are shown on a monitor screen mounted on the dash. It's good for that information, but we have had problems with the sensors coming loose inside the tire. This produces an error code. We just returned from a month long trip on which one sensor failed at the outset. As a result, no reading on one tire for the rest of the trip. Now that we are home I am going to send the monitor to OR where it was purchased. They will send a new sensor calibrated to the proper pressure. In theory it is a good device, but it is pricey to buy and service. Camping World now sells and installs the SmarTire. I bought ours thru Les Schwab Tire in OR and our dealer in CT installed it. Charlie
Old 04-25-2008, 08:31 PM   #10
rdlamb

The reason I asked is I had one individual at a park complain that he thought someone had unscrewed and taken his monitor valve cap. He ranted that he was going to get the monitors that mount inside the tire, around the wheel.
It seems that this is the system my friends with their big expensive coaches have, as there is nothing on the valve stems.