Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 09-21-2009, 08:18 AM   #21
David Bott

Ok, so we can help others on the Internet topic, I have started a new thread so it does not get lost here.

Here is the new thread. (I moved over posts.)

viewtopic.php?p=8679#8679
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
"To Boldly Go...Because We Can!"
https://www.OutsideOurBubble.com
David Bott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:00 PM   #22
Bryon Raymond

Default basement heat

Can I assume my 04 Atrium has basement heat via propane and/or electric furnaces? Did GS put basement heaters in all their large coaches? My previous coach ( not a GS )had elec/gas heaters and switched to engine heat while traveling. It was a nice set-up and I never had to winterize. I kept the coach on 30amp service while not in use and the elec. heaters kept the coach and basement warm in the coldest temps.
07 Hyundai Santa Fe toad
2 spoiled Scotties
1 spoiled wife
Bryon Raymond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #23
David Bott

Hi Bryon...

I have to guess that your electric heat was heat pumps from the A/C's. As such, I am not sure how that would heat the basement. Again, I am just guessing as I personally not seen electric heaters in RV's other than new units with a fireplace and that is still not in the basement.

However for all I know your old coach had electric heaters in the basement. Scary I would think..but hey, if it worked.

I am not sure if GS put basement vents in all the class "A" coaches. In looking at mine, I can actually see two heat duct tubes, about 3 inches round each, coming into the basement from the floor.

I am not sure if their is one further back by the holding tanks or not, for I can not see in that area.

My next coach someday will have the Aqua Hot or Oasis system in it as I like that approach much better based on noise alone from the furnaces. But at this point, we have done so much with our 08 TM I think I will need to keep it for some time.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 09-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #24
rdlamb

Hi David:

On my options list is an "Arctic" package. I think GS offered the package, which included vents into the basement area. Otherwise, if your coach did not come with an Arctic package, I would visually check to see if there are heater vents into the coaches bowels.

Our propane tank, 40 gal, 100lbs, runs the coach in 0 deg weather, using electric hot water heater, propane coach heat, and propane stove, for just over a week. We had a propane service come by weekly to fill the tank.

The coach stayed warm, comfortable, and livable. Nicely, even heavy winds, driven snow, and ice storms were shrugged off and the coach stayed nicely warm. No complaints at all.

By the way, the Old Farmers Almanac is usually right on for long term planning. You might obtain one (I do not have a current one) at a local major bookstore and see what kind of weather you may be in for.

Travel safely David, that time of year is going to be difficult.

Gnarly toad to scoot around.
Geocaching, hiking, fishing, National Parks, Civil War sites.
rdlamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #25
PChez

Default Re: Lets Talk Basement Heating (So wanter lines do not freez

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott
Hi All...

Ok, some if you know we are planning a trip that leaves the upstate NY area the last week in November. This equals...COLD. Until we can make it down to the warmer areas, which should be just a few days, we are concerned with our water lines freezing up.

Now I know that our 2008 Tour Master has like 2 heat vent tubes in the under area compartment...but really, is that enough? Should we look to add in a few ceramic heaters?

What concerns me is where the water manifold is vs where the basement is. It really can not be heated where it is as it is behind a wall that is behind another wall.

So...any thoughts for those of you how have "been their and done that" with their Tour Masters?

Thanks

I don't have the TourMaster, but I have 2002 Gulfstream Scenic Cruiser and it come with heated black and gray tanks. The whole bottom compartments are heated and I have camped on some real cold areas of New Mexico and I never have had a water line freeze yet inside the coach. Now the manifold you are talking about, I have never had a problem with that freezing either as long as you have the furnace on, you will be OK.
Not sure what you have on your TM though. You might have Aqua hot or the other can't remember what they call it.
Honda Pilot EXL 2005
PChez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:00 AM   #26
David Bott

Hi...

Thanks for the note. Note, just two furnaces. One in the middle of the coach, and one in the rear for mostly the bedroom and master bath area.

I do have two heat tubes I can see. I am not sure if their is a third in the holding tanks area or not as that is more or less closed off.

But so far I am feeling OK about it all. One think I did not even know, and I am 42, is that it goes so cold down south. I really never though the southern end of the Grand Canyon for example got down below 30. You see, I never took into account the elevation.

Heck, we picked this time thinking it would be a great time to go down 66. But it is turning out, it seems we will be COLD DOWN ROUTE 66.
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 09-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #27
PChez

Quote:
Hi...

Thanks for the note. Note, just two furnaces. One in the middle of the coach, and one in the rear for mostly the bedroom and master bath area.

I do have two heat tubes I can see. I am not sure if their is a third in the holding tanks area or not as that is more or less closed off.

But so far I am feeling OK about it all. One think I did not even know, and I am 42, is that it goes so cold down south. I really never though the southern end of the Grand Canyon for example got down below 30. You see, I never took into account the elevation. :)

Heck, we picked this time thinking it would be a great time to go down 66. But it is turning out, it seems we will be COLD DOWN ROUTE 66. ;)

It can get cold in the south rim of the Grand Canyon. I remember one year I saw snow as high as seven feet in Flagstaff, Arizona and that is right on route 66. Elevation is pretty high around that area. I have not read all your posts and am not sure what time of year you are planning your trip, but yes it does get cold there. Part of the Rocky Mountains. I will be going through there around the ninth of October. I am going to try and make the balloon fiesta in Albuquerque. I believe it lasts until the sixteenth of October.
Honda Pilot EXL 2005
Old 09-27-2009, 08:05 AM   #28
David Bott

Yeah, we planned leaving update NY late November, can't leave sooner, and was going to head south then West following RT66. Never thought we would have cold issues. Never even crossed our mind. Was thinking we would be out of the winter of upstate NY. Looks like we will be visiting more of Texas. LOL
MBE900 Diesel (Mercedes)
08' Saturn Outlook Toad
Old 09-27-2009, 08:44 AM   #29
PChez

Quote:
Yeah, we planned leaving update NY late November, can't leave sooner, and was going to head south then West following RT66. Never thought we would have cold issues. Never even crossed our mind. Was thinking we would be out of the winter of upstate NY. ;) Looks like we will be visiting more of Texas. LOL
All you have to do is watch the weather channels on TV and you can travel all over the west. Not trying to discourage you but you got to be careful. Most of the time the weather is nice all over the western states, but like any other state they will have some bad weather every so often. If you have never seen the Grand Canyon, it is an awesome sight that you will never forget. You have to make that trip just watch the weather. :wink:
Honda Pilot EXL 2005
Old 09-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #30
Snowbird 2

We leave in Dec-early Jan from Central Canada and our cold is usually cold here. We just don't bother putting water into the rig, leaving it winterized, until we get into KS or NM which takes 2 days. We use the toilet with chemicals and water (taken in containers), if necessary en route but try to use our fuel and lunch stops for bathroom breaks or Walmart and Flying J's at nights where we usually stop. When it's cold you don't sweat too much so we manage without showering until the second night when we put water in the tank. Even though I don't think we may have a freezing problem, I won't chance it. It;s great fun being inovative, eh?
Snowbird 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 11:55 AM   #31
PChez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird 2
We leave in Dec-early Jan from Central Canada and our cold is usually cold here. We just don't bother putting water into the rig, leaving it winterized, until we get into KS or NM which takes 2 days. We use the toilet with chemicals and water (taken in containers), if necessary en route but try to use our fuel and lunch stops for bathroom breaks or Walmart and Flying J's at nights where we usually stop. When it's cold you don't sweat too much so we manage without showering until the second night when we put water in the tank. Even though I don't think we may have a freezing problem, I won't chance it. It;s great fun being inovative, eh?
You guys are used to the real cold weather, so what we consider cold here in the south western part of the U.S. it probably feels like a heat wave for you guys. LOL!
Honda Pilot EXL 2005