Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 01-19-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
agood214

Default Anyone got pictures or details on sound reduction in the cab

I read there was an improvement made by insulating the cab with Dynamat in the doors, floors and under the hood.

I'd appreciate any pictures, and details.

Thanks
agood214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:53 PM   #2
Texas TC

I cannot help you with pictures, details, or information on the topic of insulation for the SuperNova. The reason is that after over 32,000 miles on mine, I have not seen the need to add insulation. It may be that I had a Kodiak chassis class C before and was accustomed to the noise or it may be that it simply does not seem that loud to me.

I believe you are a new owner. My advice would be to drive the coach some and decide what you want to do before starting out adding a bunch of "upgrades" that you may or may not need.

You should find that the engine noise only occurs when the fan is functioning which usually only happens during the hot months of the year and, even then, it cycles on and off with the water temperature. The wind noise comes from the mirrors and there is not much you can do stop that.

It seems you are very enthusiastic about your purchase and I know you will enjoy your coach for a long time. I would drive it for a few thousand miles before I made any upgrades. JMHO.

2011 Silverado 4x4 Texas Edition Extended Cab (Toad)
Texas TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
agood214

Default Anyone got pictures or details on sound reduction in the cab

I am glad to hear advice from one and all as you are correct me being new and all.

So you having worn out so many large round rubber shoes on campers - what types of customizations have you done over the years to this or other motorhomes to make them more live able or enjoyable ?

Other advice is taken as well - as long as its worth a wooden nickle or more

I will dare to say, haven driven a good number of vehicles back into the carburetor days ( and I remember magnetos on my two wheelers) however that the cab has very little noise dampening characteristics to my ears at least, and so sound dampening seems like it might be a very good investment but I don't know the complexity so was asking of those who might have done it.
agood214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
B44D

Default sound deadener

I have not used the sound deadener on my SN yet (just got it last month), but I did do my 67 Vette using this product: http://www.harboursupply.net/productautomotive.htm

It is an excellent product and reasonably priced. I also use this to make window shades to keep that hot Texas sun out!

Texas TC's comment on the battery filler system is excellent, I have added these. Also, without a doubt, you need some sort of air-ride system. (Mine is on order). I nearly got thrown out of the cab a couple of times on the way from Atlanta to Dallas.
B44D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
cafseth

Default SN6400 Cab Noise

We have a 2008 SN6400, Found the noise in the cab to be a little much but love the unit so we have lived with it, kept trying different ways to reduce the noise and not to much was effective, until... Sitting in the Motorhome we noticed some light coming from behind both the drivers seat and the Passenger seat at the floor level. I pulled the covers off that are right behind the seat where the seatbelt is attached to the wall and I could see the ground. There is a foot wide gap that goes right outside on both sides. We put some insulation all through these gaps and the noise has dropped by 50%. Now we are even happier!!
cafseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
schmittm

Sorry this has taken so long. Trying to post pictures to this site has not worked so here is link to website with pictures of the work that I have done. Look at the pictures and this will make sense. All this work made a huge difference.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/schmittm/

I purchased sound deading from fatmat.com, total cost is under $400.00.
Buy the Fatmat urethane Hoodliner kit
Buy the Rattle Trap bulk pack of 100sq ft

This will give you enough to put the Fatmat down first under the whole hood then put the cut and piece the hood liner on top of it. This will take you some time and sitting on your radiator putting the pieces on.

Then I took door panels off and put one layer on doors. To take panels off push the little circle inside the clip in and then with a small flat blade you can pop clip out. Take screws holding pocket off and then the two screws in the top handle by window. Pull up on panel and it will come right off. Very easy.

When panels were off I took them down to upholstry shop and had them put matching leather in the inserts instead of the blue fabric so they will match the darker color of my seats. Still need to add this picture.

Then I took the trim off, seats out and pulled the rubber floor back as far as possible and put on two layer of the Fatmat. I used left over hood liner foam and did the whole fire wall were I could reach.

Then get a can of expandable foam and look between where the cab meets the coach, by the batteries and from underneath on the passenger side. You will see a bad seal job and gaps that let sound or a possible mouse in. Stuff your arm in and pump the crack full of foam.

Then I put sound deading material in the battery compartment and under the floor of the motor home. Get your self a creeper to lay on and mover around. I also used some of the left over hood liner and put that between the transmission and the floor from underneath.

I then put the sound deading material on the under side of the floor where it was easy to get to, for example by propane tank almost from one side to the other. This will help keep the noise from the drive line and the sound that bounces off the road. Every little bit helps.

If it does not want to stick well or after a short trip check to make sure it is not falling off. If it is, get a heat gun and go over it with heat gun and roller again and it will stick for sure.

If you want to add wood dash kit you can call Forest River Automotive directly and for $240.00 get the three piece kit.
(574) 522-7472 and ask for John.
57884 County Rd 3
Elk Hart, IN 46517

Any questions let me know.
Old 03-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
B44D

Nice job on sound deadener!
I just got back from a 2000 mile trip from Dallas to Colorado. I noticed when the wind is strong, at high speed, the force of the wind on the mirror pulls the door frame away from the cab. I can even see daylight between the weather-stripping. Obviously, the sound is loud when this is occuring. If the mirror was mounted to the cab, this would not occur, but doesn't look too practical to change. Thinking about adding a spring-latch at the top of the door that will secure door at the top?
Also, I have a VERY annoying squeak between the passenger's door and the house, behind where the seat belt attaches. Anyone had an issue here that will save me time looking?
B44D is offline   Reply With Quote