Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-16-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
11B

Default Engine Access

Could anyone tell me how to access my motor compartment. I have a 8708 floorplan with king bed in a 2007 Friendship. I don't know if it matters but I have a cummins 400 with rear radiater.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

11B :lol
Kids raised and only barrow money
400 Cummins Bad Milage
11B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
hyall

can't help ya sorry But couldn't you call the dealer for information

Russ
hyall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:38 PM   #3
Arthur Hayes

This a question that I have had for some time now. I have the T 40A with the King bed. Under the bed is a aluminum frame and under that appears the boards that will have to be removed to access the engine. I believe that I will have to make some supports to hold up the bed and then remove the metal frame. Has anyone done this, or is there a mercenary method?
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Arthur Hayes

Last spring I was at a Freight Liner service center and asked what they did. The service rep said that the motor home owner provided the access.
Blue OX Tow Bar
Unified Break System
Arthur Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
11B

Auther, I'll be all over this like a cheap suit tomorrow and will let you know. If you have to raise the bed it seems to me there should be some kind of rams to hold it up

11B
400 Cummins Bad Milage
Old 08-18-2007, 09:44 AM   #6
SueMac

If the Friendship is anything like the Super Nova there are no lifts to hold the top of the bed up. Altho' we don't have engine access troubles with the Class C, our bed is the kind that jackknifes so the slides will come in and we were investigating how to do the bed by hand if it quit. (we were having troubles with it and wanted to have a back up plan). Ingenious engineering, but it would be hard to move both bed motors at the same time.

Once the mattress is removed the top of our bed will lift to a 90 deg. angle and one of us held it up while the other worked under there. Or we could use a 2x4.
SueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:24 PM   #7
GStream40
Site Team

On our rear pusher 4 slide coach I must do the following to access the engine from inside:

1) Run both bedroom slides in the out position.

2) Remove the mattress from the bed and stand on it's side edge at the rear of the coach in front of the rear closet. Raise and support the aluminum frame for the mattress. (I made supports from wood for this purpose)

3) Remove the screws that are located at the foot of the frame that hold the cedar chest cross frame and seat in position. Remove the cedar chest liner that just sits in position.

4) Remove the screws that hold the covers over the engine and pull both covers up and there is the engine!!

That is the procedure that I had to figure out for myself, no help from dealer nor Gulf Stream, but in all honesty, I never asked either. It just looked self explanatory to me.

Ron
GStream40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:08 AM   #8
11B

Author, Ron and SueMac, long day and your right Ron the engine is under the bed with no rams to hold it in place or up (cut a couple of 2x4s and they did the job).

I got tired of the screw thing so I'll tackle it an other day when I'm not feeling so old. I think I'll put in a call to GS and ask them if they forgot to install rams to hold the bed up, I mean for 2 large I'm sure they should be there. Ha Ha

I'll start calling Monday A M and see just who I can find home. Trust me I won't start with customer service and I'll let you three know how I'm doing.

You all have a great rest of the weekend.

11b
400 Cummins Bad Milage
Old 08-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #9
coolchas11

While we didn't have to access the engine, we did need to work on the bed mechanism. That white cover is heavy! In lieu of a 2x4 we used the step ladder. Here's an interesting item. The rig is at Long View to repair the bed gears and when they extended the slides to work on the system one of the slide topper springs broke. So had we been on the road maybe the slide would not have retracted for us. Well, better them than us! Charlie PS. We're pondering the future......every trip so far has had a debilitating problem such as hydraulic, bed/slides, inverter. What's next?
Old 08-20-2007, 08:19 AM   #10
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolchas11
While we didn't have to access the engine, we did need to work on the bed mechanism. That white cover is heavy! In lieu of a 2x4 we used the step ladder. Here's an interesting item. The rig is at Long View to repair the bed gears and when they extended the slides to work on the system one of the slide topper springs broke. So had we been on the road maybe the slide would not have retracted for us. Well, better them than us! Charlie PS. We're pondering the future......every trip so far has had a debilitating problem such as hydraulic, bed/slides, inverter. What's next?
Charlie,
I have found with any RV we have owned, be it GS or SOB(Some Other Brand), The first year was the roughest getting all the bugs out that were either built in by the coach manufacturer or one of their suppliers. After that it was smooth sailing, well at least a lot fewer rough waves.

Ron
Old 08-20-2007, 08:37 AM   #11
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B
Author, Ron and SueMac, long day and your right Ron the engine is under the bed with no rams to hold it in place or up (cut a couple of 2x4s and they did the job).

I got tired of the screw thing so I'll tackle it an other day when I'm not feeling so old. I think I'll put in a call to GS and ask them if they forgot to install rams to hold the bed up, I mean for 2 large I'm sure they should be there. Ha Ha

I'll start calling Monday A M and see just who I can find home. Trust me I won't start with customer service and I'll let you three know how I'm doing.

You all have a great rest of the weekend.

11b
I am sure that GS did not forget to install lifts. I know I would not trust lifts if I was working on the engine lying into the access. I believe they did not install them on purpose because of this reason. I know the CAT Dealer was impressed that I had made the wood supports when they had to change the injectors on our engine. If anything, GS should make a solid support to use to hold the mattress base frame up. I found it much easier to remove the mattress and set it at the rear of the coach, really makes the matress base much easier to lift and hold in position and I feel much better with less weight being above me or the person working on the engine.

Also, I use my rechargable drill/driver to remove/install all the screws. I can actually have the access open to work on the engine in about 5 minutes after I figured everything out the first time. I keep the wood support stored under the bed.

Ron
Old 08-20-2007, 08:56 AM   #12
SueMac

I know why we don't have any supports for the bed top is because GS said not to use the space under the bed for storage since it moves and did not want stuff to get caught in the wiring etc.

If we have to get under there for motor access, we too remove the mattress. Makes lifting it a lot easier.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:38 PM   #13
GStream40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueMac
I know why we don't have any supports for the bed top is because GS said not to use the space under the bed for storage since it moves and did not want stuff to get caught in the wiring etc.

If we have to get under there for motor access, we too remove the mattress. Makes lifting it a lot easier.
If you have to remove the matttress for motor access for your Super Nova, then I would definately return it to the dealer/Gulf Stream because it was built on the wrong chassis!!

Ron
Old 08-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #14
SueMac

LOL...I probably should have been more specific. To access the motor for the slide and the 2 motors that move the bed into the up position for traveling we have to get under the bed, so the top lifts up.

Ya, if the engine is back there, I've got problems!
Old 08-22-2007, 01:16 PM   #15
11B

I took my Friendship in today to the cummins dealer for the recall Gulf Stream notifyed of. They called to tell me they were going to charge me 200.00 extra for having to tear the bed apart to get to the engine so they could do the needed repair work.

Hell of a nice design Gulf Stream. You guys are clowns with absolutly no concern for the people who BUY your products.
400 Cummins Bad Milage
Old 08-22-2007, 08:52 PM   #16
SueMac

It is not only GS, but Country Coach as well. We had to remove the closet doors, take out the tracts on the floor, remove a velcrowed piece of wood and finally get to the bolted down engine cover.

As fancy as CC's are you'd think they'd come up with an easier access to the engine.

As many problems as we hear about the Alfa's they had one of the easiest engine accesses.

Good luck with the repairs.