Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Gulf Stream Owners RV Forum

Old 08-06-2022, 06:43 PM   #41
CTMICH5

Any updates on this post?
CTMICH5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:19 PM   #42
pwerwagn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMICH5 View Post
Any updates on this post?
Just been using it! Stayed in it 38 nights so far this year, put about 5k more miles on it.

Next upgrade is the cab stereo, it’s terrible! Then at some point I hope to do something similar to what slimtim has done but I might go the dt466 route.
pwerwagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:42 AM   #43
CTMICH5

I have been doing a ton of research into this it may all depend on your budget. Looking around the Cummins shops are doing the swaps to 6.7 ISBs for school busses, I have seen prices from $18k-30k reported. I am going to drive mine for a few years and plan to pay a Cummins shop, they do everything including programming…. With warranty on the engine… worth looking into, I have been looking at engines and for a good shape used engine it can be $8-10k alone plus labor parts pieces and still had to be programmed…. Food for thought..
Old 08-09-2022, 09:22 AM   #44
pwerwagn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMICH5 View Post
I have been doing a ton of research into this it may all depend on your budget. Looking around the Cummins shops are doing the swaps to 6.7 ISBs for school busses, I have seen prices from $18k-30k reported. I am going to drive mine for a few years and plan to pay a Cummins shop, they do everything including programming…. With warranty on the engine… worth looking into, I have been looking at engines and for a good shape used engine it can be $8-10k alone plus labor parts pieces and still had to be programmed…. Food for thought..
I have been doing tons of research as well, and talking to Tim a lot on his thoughts during/after his swap. I have done ~12 or so 6.0 to Cummins swaps in trucks (and a few chevy's, some older dodges, etc). I actually have a 6.7 short block with a 12v p pump head I was originally going to put in the supernova, but the transmission poses another problem as even a mild 887/913 pumped 12v will make far more than the 2500mh is rated for.

My second thought was a mid 90's 8.3/MD3060 combo. I had actually found one, but again, after thinking thru all the other little ancillary details with Tim small items like cruise control, hvac, etc might end up posing as large of a challenge as doing something like an ISL.

My original thought was a DT466/530/570, but most of them are low power and nobody made a tuner other than an MP8 or similar. However, now that there is a tuner for all of the 2 box ECM/IDM IH's, a 466 swap is feasible with benefits. The issue with the 466 is finding one with low miles. I have found a few in trucks (box trucks, etc) with low miles, but the few I have found are 6 speeds and not auto which just adds to the complexity of the swap.

My end goal is simplicity. I have plenty of other vehicle projects, including a cummins swap already in the shop, and the last thing I need is a motorhome tying up a bay for a year haha. Plus we use the heck out of it even when the kids are in school so I'm hoping something easy will pop up! An ~04ish DT466e/ally 3K out of a 4300 IH would be awesome, and should be a simple-ish swap! (Famous last words...)

--Jeff
Old 08-09-2022, 06:20 PM   #45
bhplumber

I called Cummins and they told me the repower will only work on buses, not our truck chassis. No explanation why just that it wont work. I may try calling again to see if I can get a different answer from a different person, May say it's a bus and give them my VIN to see what happens then. I just cant believe IH would go to the trouble of making a bus chassis different from a truck chassis as far as engine/trans. Let me know if you find a shop that will actually do the swap with warranty. I leaning that way if it can happen. The repower is still WAYYY cheaper then upgrading my coach. Plus I really like my SN I just hate having the worry in the back of my head of engine failure.
bhplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 06:28 PM   #46
CTMICH5

Anyone ever find a shop that will unlock 6th gear? Called every shop around Reno while traveling I-80, nobody would do it..
Old 09-06-2022, 11:36 AM   #47
Vinnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Finally got some news today - NOT GOOD.

Turns out the lift pump was fine, they just didn't prime it correctly the first time around. These tandem pumps are still not available either from International nor the used market so a backup replacement is a good idea, as long as it can meet the spec. I had purchased an AirDog kit but they took a second look before installing it.

Worse news, when they started looking at it this week they found metal and coolant in the oil pan, so it looks like replacement engine time. So much for Bulletproof. Hopefully, the service contract will cover a big chunk of this.
At long last, "The Beast" is back at home. Ended up getting a replacement engine ordered through Albuquerque International dealer (Robert's?) and installed by the shop in Gallup. Engine turned out to be a Reviva reman but seems solid so far. The shop was able to re-install the Bulletproof oil cooler without voiding the new warranty. Mechanic did a nice job reinstalling the engine and accessories including rerouting the BP oil hoses in a much cleaner fashion. A new radiator and intercooler were included.

Drove back to Colorado Springs last Friday; coach ran great and seems to have plenty of go.

Warranty covered most of the cost so we are only out-of-pocket about $1800 for the repair (phew!). Engine alone was $16,600 from OEM.

Looking forward to some end of summer use and attempting to repeat the Thanksgiving trip that started this adventure. And now back to fiddling with everything else on the coach....
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote